English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 21 January 2010, 15:21   #41
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
I'd be prepared to help out with that asm Pong game - wouldn't want to see anyone fail their course...
Well, I might sound mean but I wouldn't do that. After all, it was Tiddlypeeps decision to hand in the project specs. Before doing that one should inform him/herself. Helping to code the game will help Tiddlypeeps pass the course (well, it's bloody cheating anyway!) but it won't help Tiddlypeeps to become a good coder... Anyway, that's just my opinion.
Old 21 January 2010, 15:26   #42
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiddlyPeeps
And it's she :P
Oooops... Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
Well, I might sound mean but I wouldn't do that. After all, it was Tiddlypeeps decision to hand in the project specs. Before doing that one should inform him/herself. Helping to code the game will help Tiddlypeeps pass the course (well, it's bloody cheating anyway!) but it won't help Tiddlypeeps to become a good coder... Anyway, that's just my opinion.
LOL. Sting you old tyrant!

You're entirely right of course but I didn't mean I'd help code it - I meant I'd help with answers and advice that'd hopefully make the sticking points less sticky...
Old 21 January 2010, 15:30   #43
Tiddlypeeps
Tiddlypeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I had no choice, I had to hand in the project spec, they set a deadline for it that was before christmas.

Not that I dont appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't ask for help from anyone that could be considered cheating. I'll ask questions here and what not but I wouldn't ask anyone to actually code the project for me. I would miss out on all the fun then
Old 21 January 2010, 15:37   #44
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
LOL. Sting you old tyrant!

Quote:
You're entirely right of course but I didn't mean I'd help code it - I meant I'd help with answers and advice that'd hopefully make the sticking points less sticky...
Well, that's of course perfectly OK. What I wrote may sound mean but it's just that I saw too many people who managed to pass their programming courses because others "helped" (i.e. coded everything) them. Ask them to do a simple programming job and they'll fail! We had lots of these "I passed my studies, I'm a bloody good coder" persons at work, needless to say, NONE of them work here any longer. For obvious reasons.
Old 21 January 2010, 15:42   #45
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
Ask them to do a simple programming job and they'll fail! We had lots of these "I passed my studies, I'm a bloody good coder" persons at work, needless to say, NONE of them work here any longer. For obvious reasons.
I know exactly what you're saying. I'm a networks engineer (mainly Cisco stuff...) by trade and I've met lots and lots of guys who are qualified on paper to install, configure and troubleshoot computer networks who are completely clueless. There's nothing like hands on experience and learning by doing to give you a real understanding of something.
Old 21 January 2010, 15:43   #46
AmigaBoy

The way to approach this project has already been said - get it done in a higher level language and then select certain things to convert into ASM. I think getting the game logic done is the most important step.

As an example, left or right mouse clicks and joystick buttons (directions too?) are dead easy to do in 68k ASM.

"Enhancing" the game using ASM after it's complete can also score you a few points. At the moment I'm thinking that a section of the screen can have a simple copper gradient, or moving bars, or something like that. One of those cool little demo effects that really, you'd want to do in ASM. Things like that aren't too difficult to learn or implement, give some great effects that'll enhance the game, and I'm sure they'd score points because they fit the reasoning given in the spec.
Old 21 January 2010, 15:49   #47
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
your a she , tower defence on the amiga your irish
Old 21 January 2010, 15:55   #48
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddlypeeps View Post
I had no choice, I had to hand in the project spec, they set a deadline for it that was before christmas.
Fair enough. However, it was your decision to choose asm, wasn't it?

Quote:
There's nothing like hands on experience and learning by doing to give you a real understanding of something.
Exactly!

Last edited by StingRay; 21 January 2010 at 16:01. Reason: typo
Old 21 January 2010, 16:07   #49
Tiddlypeeps
Tiddlypeeps

Quote:
Well, that's of course perfectly OK. What I wrote may sound mean but it's just that I saw too many people who managed to pass their programming courses because others "helped" (i.e. coded everything) them. Ask them to do a simple programming job and they'll fail! We had lots of these "I passed my studies, I'm a bloody good coder" persons at work, needless to say, NONE of them work here any longer. For obvious reasons.
There are plenty of people like that in my class. They only got to 4th year by getting "help" from other people in the class, they would be completely useless in a real work enviroment.
Old 21 January 2010, 16:13   #50
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddlypeeps View Post
...they would be completely useless in a real work enviroment.
Don't count on it. I've found most people I've worked with very helpful, and I would like to think I'm good like that too.
Old 21 January 2010, 16:14   #51
Tiddlypeeps
Tiddlypeeps

Quote:
Fair enough. However, it was your decision to choose asm, wasn't it?
It was my decision, and I don't regret it . From the little asm I have encountered so far I can already see its effect on my general coding standard. Asm is just tougher than I was expecting so I have to scale back the amount of asm im using. After a little refactoring of my plan I can still get the project done so that it meets the requirements I set out in my project spec.
Old 21 January 2010, 16:17   #52
Tiddlypeeps
Tiddlypeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Don't count on it. I've found most people I've worked with very helpful, and I would like to think I'm good like that too.
I put help in quotes for a reason, they just blatenlty copy code from others in the class. They can barely programme, I dont see how they could be any use in a work enviroment.
Old 21 January 2010, 16:30   #53
prowler
Global Moderator

Hmm... In that case you're probably right. People like that wouldn't last long.
Old 21 January 2010, 17:40   #54
Tiddlypeeps
Tiddlypeeps

When I boot the emulator without a disk it runs in AmigaDos mode, which I think is what I want. But the only commands it seems to recognise are cd and echo, everything else i type in comes up with command not recognised or something like that.

I was trying stuff from this list of commands. http://winuaehelp.back2roots.org/bac...d/amigados.htm

Is this list wrong or is there something your supposed to install before these commands will work or something?
Old 21 January 2010, 18:42   #55
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
most amiga dos commands live in the c dir

for which you will need a basic boot disk, then open a new shell

there are otherways but this is probably your quickest for the moment, until you start modifying your startup-sequence that is
Old 21 January 2010, 19:33   #56
Leffmann

If you haven't got a complete Workbench yet, try one of the ClassicWB installs. They come with all the basic utilities. The Lite, Full and Adv installs are suitable for an A1200.

http://classicwb.abime.net/
http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=61