English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 May 2008, 19:58   #1
laffer
Zone Friend

Last Ninja 1-3 Amiga & C64 jumping sections video

I just made a little video with all the jumping sections from Last Ninja 1-3 (C64 & Amiga versions of the games).

I recorded the C64 footage for this clip but I used some old longplays I did long ago for the Amiga versions.. which is why the quality in those is horrible (I had no idea how to encode stuff back then).. so sorry about that
Too lazy to re-record the Amiga versions, especially Last Ninja 2 for Amiga (which is horrible!).

Anyway -

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 May 2008, 20:15   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

you sir, are the last ninja master

I like these vids because you can really see why the amiga versions are crap. LN2 is ruined because of the horrible, horrible way that jumping is implemented. The question becomes: a rush job, or they didn't care because the name would sell the game anyway?
Old 13 May 2008, 20:29   #3
laffer
Zone Friend

Here is what ruins the Amiga versions for me -

Last Ninja 1 - quite good actually.. nice renditions of the music, decent graphics, ok controls... however, it's far too easy. The enemies don't even hit back if you keep hitting them rapidly.. not even the final boss! So that is a huge drawback about this port.

Last Ninja 2 - horrible controls, crap graphics, ugly sound, slow, terrible, rubbish!!

Last Ninja 3 - I heard this was the only one done inhouse by System 3. It's actually not bad.. the trouble is how they changed the controls! They're completely different from in any other Last Ninja game (LN3 for the C64 has normal LN controls).
They added some extra stuff to this version - an extra level, end of level bosses, a bigger last level, more puzzles and... Kunitoki (the final boss) is a robot (I'm not joking!)

None of them are anywhere close to the C64 versions though in terms of playability.
Old 14 May 2008, 03:37   #4
laffer
Zone Friend

The trouble with LN3 is how the screens are not at all logically connected.
I tried to map the first level of the Amiga version, here you can see the results

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...73/ln3crap.jpg
Old 14 May 2008, 18:47   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

yeah LN3 is an illogical maze, the combat is rediculous and the graphics really do NOT help you to see how platforms are aligned or the distance between them, and in a lot of cases you do not even see that there is a gap, until you fall in of course. Unforgiving game.