English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 January 2021, 18:44   #1
Pyromania

Open Video Toaster Install Guide, no hardware required

Stefano has created a great install guide for getting Open Video Toaster working on a Vampire based Amiga 1200.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 January 2021, 23:56   #2
walkero

This is really nice. I wonder how awesome would be if there was a way to use video toaster sources from video files, but I am sure that would be a lot of work to be done, which might be better to start a new application from the scratch.
Are the wipes format something that could be used from an other application?
Old 29 January 2021, 00:29   #3
Pyromania

I believe adapting the code to be a video editing application would be a better route to go. NewTek proved the market years ago. This interface is a great easy way to edit video. The effects are basically a modified Amiga 64 color or 256 color anim file.
Old 29 January 2021, 01:26   #4
Amiga4000

If I had a Toaster Board, and ONLY a Toaster Board, Would I be able to use two digital video inputs, play around with the features of Open Video Toaster and then save the output?

I don't want to buy any other hardware.
Old 29 January 2021, 02:35   #5
Pyromania

Yes, you should be able to do that.
Old 29 January 2021, 04:39   #6
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga4000 View Post
If I had a Toaster Board, and ONLY a Toaster Board, Would I be able to use two digital video inputs, play around with the features of Open Video Toaster and then save the output?

I don't want to buy any other hardware.
No, the two signals have to be sync'd so for two inputs you need at least one TBC to sync the second video to the first as the Toaster will sync with the first input. You can use one camera or dvd or other digital input without a TBC.

As for saving, you can record the 'Program' out analog video feed to some recording media or capture card on PC but the Toaster was designed as a live switcher to switch between multiple cameras. If you want to edit video, etc.. you would need the Flyer card and appropriate drives.

With just a Toaster board you can do wipes between the two framestores, one camera/digital source and a framestore (with limitations as some wipes use the framestores) and record to tape or capture card the analog video out from the Toaster while you trigger wipes, or trigger the CG to scroll text, etc..

And if you have a Toaster board, you can just install the actual Toaster software and not worry about the Open Video Toaster hack.
Old 29 January 2021, 13:44   #7
Pyromania

Without the Flyer if you have the Video Toaster 4000 card you can also create and playback some small LightWave 3D animations from RAM.