English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 June 2010, 11:18   #1
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Question Using Subway clock port cable with Delfina

This might seem like a totally n00B question, but can I use the clock port cable that comes with the Subway on my Delfina? Are all clock port cables the same no matter what?

The problem I have is that I bought the Delfina a few weeks ago and it didn't come with a cable. long story short, but Vesalia have checked all their stock and realise the rest of the Delfinas they have on stock have no cable either. I think it should be included, they want to wait until Jens gets back from Asia to verify if there should be a cable in the box So im sat here drooling all over my Delfina wanting to use it! So I decided to see if I could use the subway cable.. I checked through the manuals and noticed that the red marker on the cable seems to go the opposite way than that on the Subway. I believe this is correct looking through old threads here. Subways red marker goes to pin 19 on the amiga clock port (nearest to the PCMCIA Connector) and Delfinas red marker goes to pin 40 (nearest the the accelerator port).

I was sat there last night looking and looking and I ended up getting confused! I know if I plug this in wrong it will go into melt down so I don't want to risk it (not even for a biscuit, chocolate covered or otherwise).

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 11 June 2010, 12:02   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipscube View Post
This might seem like a totally n00B question, but can I use the clock port cable that comes with the Subway on my Delfina? Are all clock port cables the same no matter what?

The problem I have is that I bought the Delfina a few weeks ago and it didn't come with a cable. long story short, but Vesalia have checked all their stock and realise the rest of the Delfinas they have on stock have no cable either. I think it should be included, they want to wait until Jens gets back from Asia to verify if there should be a cable in the box So im sat here drooling all over my Delfina wanting to use it! So I decided to see if I could use the subway cable.. I checked through the manuals and noticed that the red marker on the cable seems to go the opposite way than that on the Subway. I believe this is correct looking through old threads here. Subways red marker goes to pin 19 on the amiga clock port (nearest to the PCMCIA Connector) and Delfinas red marker goes to pin 40 (nearest the the accelerator port).

I was sat there last night looking and looking and I ended up getting confused! I know if I plug this in wrong it will go into melt down so I don't want to risk it (not even for a biscuit, chocolate covered or otherwise).

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Hmmmmm, its just a cable.

We made loads of different sizes for delfina's and subway's. So the cable makes no differnece they are all same.

Just make sure you read instructions and put it on correctly, or you will cook it.
Aslong as the red wire lines up with arrow on connector, then cable will be fine.
Old 11 June 2010, 13:10   #3
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Thanks FOL.

I did think it must be a standard cable, but I got a bit of doubt in me seeing the difference on the red line. I was flipping the cable around so many times that I confused myself

The Delfina doesn't have a "pin 1" or red line marker on it so I was wondering if I had read the instructions wrong. But it definately says red marker near the 26 pin port on the Delfina to the a1200 clock port with red marker nearest the accelerator. To me this means the "pin 1" marker (as it is on subway) on Delfina is completely opposite! I will try it later when i'm home. I'm going to order a 20cm cable from you now too as I really need the longer cable, anyway, the position I will be mounting the Delfina requires more than 9cm.
Old 11 June 2010, 13:38   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipscube View Post
Thanks FOL.

I did think it must be a standard cable, but I got a bit of doubt in me seeing the difference on the red line. I was flipping the cable around so many times that I confused myself

The Delfina doesn't have a "pin 1" or red line marker on it so I was wondering if I had read the instructions wrong. But it definately says red marker near the 26 pin port on the Delfina to the a1200 clock port with red marker nearest the accelerator. To me this means the "pin 1" marker (as it is on subway) on Delfina is completely opposite! I will try it later when i'm home. I'm going to order a 20cm cable from you now too as I really need the longer cable, anyway, the position I will be mounting the Delfina requires more than 9cm.
This may help,

http://www.amigakit.co.uk/support/delfina.php
Old 11 June 2010, 14:28   #5
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Thats perfect! cheers FOL!
Old 17 June 2010, 13:45   #6
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Please note that

1. not all clockport cables are the same, the length is critical with Delfina. No more than 12cm should be used.

2. Vesalia's stock did not contain clockport cables BY ACCIDENT. The cable is included in the price and will be shipped to all customers free of charge. Vesalia has been informed of that only hours after the problem was discovered. If you haven't recieved an answer to your support request, you should check your spam box.

Jens
Old 19 June 2010, 10:24   #7
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Hi Jens, thanks for the info

I ended up waiting for the 20cm cable to come from Amigakit to test this so thanks for the warning. I received the cable yesterday but haven't had chance to try it yet. I haven't received a reply to my request, but I will contact Vesalia and wait until they send me the "official" one.