English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 August 2014, 10:12   #1
s2325
Zone Friend

Magniforce, an Amiga-styled Turrican Clone

Quote:
This is Magniforce, an Amiga-styled Turrican Clone! That I myself made, interestingly. (With Game Maker, so don't expect the next great Turrican II from this game.)

Before I start off my review of it in this description, let me tell you a story - this game is actually pretty far from finished, despite getting an official release. Let me explain. When I was working on this game, Game Maker kept getting more and more updates, in which all they did was introduce one terrible bug after another, to the point where GM would crash and freeze an unforgivable amount of times. I got so fed up that I had no choice but to just rush the project out. Therefore, you can see that there are multiple bugs, and trust me, I was planning to fix them, but I never got the chance to. This might go down in history as one of the buggiest games in history, and I have absolutely no shame in saying that. Thanks GM, you really screwed me over.

Now, what do I think about this game? Well, as I said, it's pretty (and by that I mean extremely) buggy, but other than that, it's pretty great, but it has it's fair share of problems, glitches aside. First off, the game is excruciatingly difficult, and NOT always because of stage design, but rather because of lousy programming at parts. (Like I said, I made this with GM. Whaddaya expect.) For some reason, if I used an actual health system, the game would crash right at launch. So I had to improvise and use a fake Mario-esque health system. Any hit without a powerup is a death. This has it's fair share of issues, especially in the last stage, which might go down as one of the hardest stages in Turrican history. I'll explain why when I get to it. And the health bar gets in the way of seeing what's above you, and I didn't know how to fix that. It always caused graphical glitches if I tried to. And because I made this with GM, of course some important Turrican elements, like the rotatable laser or the powerlines are missing. And last, of course, no save feature. We've got ourselves a 40-minute game, and you have to beat it in one sitting. I was planning to put in a save system, but remember, I was forced to rush this out, and never got the opportunity to put in one. And this also means that if you lose all your lives, (which you will if you don't know where they are) GAME OVER. No continues. Back to stage 1. But enough with the negatives.

I've gotten lots of good feedback on the presentation. I've been told the graphics are extremely good, and the programming, while unfinished, is exceptional for a one-man GM game. For what it is, at least. The only part of this game I didn't do is the music, which is pretty awesome. Other than a questionable but still great remix of Stage 2 from the original Turrican, almost the whole soundtrack is completely original and beautifully made.

Overall, I can't really give this game a grade, with it being unfinished, but to get it finished I'll have to wait until the bugs are sorted out and get my hands on $60 to get GMStudio: Professional if I want to improve it, but so far, it's pretty good. Sure, it could be considered lackluster compared to other retro games today, but this game is made pretty much for Turrican fans only, and like I said, all things in this game are subject to improvement, so take that for what you will.
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by s2325; 07 August 2014 at 10:22.
Old 07 August 2014, 11:46   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Very boring level design. Nothing i would play longer than 5 minutes. Game Maker made or not.
Old 07 August 2014, 11:58   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Lackluster nails it pretty much. Plus the music in level two is really awful
Old 07 August 2014, 12:47   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, off-note music but I like pink helmet!
Old 07 August 2014, 13:29   #5
Vot

No offense but I suddenly feel the need to send out my appreciation to

Manfred Trenz, Andreas Escher, Holger Schmidt, Julian Eggebrecht & Chris Hülsbeck.

Thank god you guys worked on turrican...
Old 07 August 2014, 13:38   #6
s2325
Zone Friend

Links were in another thread as I felt it's not deserve new.
Old 08 August 2014, 23:49   #7
amigarulez

I never saw good game made in Game Makers. I am not surprised but it is nice that people still doing things based on classics.
Old 08 August 2014, 23:51   #8
s2325
Zone Friend

You can name it Turdican if you want.
Old 09 August 2014, 05:11   #9
Cherno

For a one-man project, it is certainly impressive. I only program in Unity but I know how much work game developing is, so I wish you best of luck with your further efforts!
Old 09 August 2014, 05:27   #10
Vot

Hahaha turdican 😭
Old 09 August 2014, 09:54   #11
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigarulez View Post
I never saw good game made in Game Makers.
You haven't tried AM2R then.
It's also a remake of a classic, not Turrican or Amiga related though, but if you like Super Metroid you'll love this.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 August 2014, 09:59   #12
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
For a one-man project, it is certainly impressive. I only program in Unity but I know how much work game developing is, so I wish you best of luck with your further efforts!
It's not my game, I found it on youtube.
Old 12 August 2014, 06:24   #13
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
You can name it Turdican if you want.
Or Turicon