English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 November 2015, 01:13   #1
AndyM

Mouse won't go up!

So, I've pulled the A1200 out of the box after a few years and discovered that now my mouse won't go back up after it's gone down.

Plugged it into my A500 (also been in a box until today) and the mouse is fine, and my joystick port is also fine on the A1200.

Following a few other posts on here and other forums I've tried the following:
  • Resoldering the pins to the mouse port header
  • Checked the continuity across some of the components likely to cause this kind of issue, and can't find anything that isn't giving a reading.

So I'm a little bit at a loss as to what to do next short of buying another A1200.

Old 10 November 2015, 02:35   #2
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
So I'm a little bit at a loss as to what to do next short of buying another A1200.
It is possible that the part of Paula which handles the joystick ports on the 1200 has gone to silicon heaven. If that is the case you would not have to buy another 1200, just another Paula-1200 and ask someone who can solder Surface Mounted Components to swap it for you.

But your priority should be to first ascertain that his is really what happened, alas I have no clue how to do that but others here will likely know.
Old 10 November 2015, 04:49   #3
kipper2k

hi,

there could be a few things wrong, here are a couple of links you should check. (pin 1 + 3)

measure resistance of pin 1 CN1 to pin 2 of U34, you should have ~68ohms, also check pin 3 CN1 to pin 3 u34 for same reading. if readings are way off then i would replace u34

http://www.amigawiki.de/dnl/schematics/A1200_R2.pdf

http://old.pinouts.ru/Inputs/AmigaMouseJoy_pinout.shtml

you need to follow components from CN1 to both Paula and U34 (74LS166). Make sure there is no short (something fell in during time in storage, use a clean brush or air to try cleaning). Does mouse go down as soon as workbench loads even if no mouse connected ? also boot to early startup menu to see how mouse pointer behaves there.

try that for starters

Last edited by kipper2k; 10 November 2015 at 05:27.
Old 12 November 2015, 21:09   #4
volvo_0ne

Just in case.....

TRY ANOTHER MOUSE

I did exactly the same thing, 2 mice, both working when the amiga was stored, when it came out of storage neither would work (different faults), so I purchased a ps2 mouse & adapter from Ebay .

As soon as I plugged it in it worked perfectly.

Simple solution for the price of a mouse.
Old 13 November 2015, 05:12   #5
RizThomas

This maybe stupid solution but I have exactly the same problem on my second A1200. The mouse works except when trying to move Up/Down -fails intermittently. I noticed that if I push up slightly the mouse plug -- it works. I also tried a couple of tank mouses with the same results.
I thought it maybe a cold solder but before I was just going to open / go to the motherboard, I noticed that the DB9 socket is a little bit loose (compared to the joystick socket) so I crimped the metal surrounding the plug a bit to tighten it up, then plugged in again the mouse. It works now! (to finish the fix, I also sprayed some DeoxIT D5 on the contacts).
Old 15 November 2015, 23:25   #6
RizThomas

Sorry I spoke too soon. I ended up opening my A1200 (motherboard) and resoldered the DB9 pins. I think it was a a cold solder -- it is now working OK.
I noticed that CN1A did not have the 10 pin header so I added one before closing my motherboard. The CN1A header might come handy for my upcoming PS2Ami internal mouse adapter.