English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Collections

Old 09 May 2006, 23:36   #41
Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by petza
hey dcandy long time no see i no u wont remember me we chatted twice u helped me out with an ami-express door

i logged into your board loads of times
the last time we talked u said your trying to get hack&slash that max's door to run on ami-express
did u manage it ?
and how much did your 6 line board cost a month
whats the most calls u got in 1 day mine was 21
i used to be the sysop of the dark domain bbs
Hi there mate. Dont remember that Max's door running but did have lots of cool custom doors written for me by Reflex. My favourite was the CD door that allowed access to the 14 online CDs in 2 7-CD jukeboxes. The email door was cool as well, allowing people access to true email as not many people had it in those days.

The BBS cost something in the order of 200 quid per quarter in line rental plus a boat load of phonebills and plenty of electric!

The most calls I had in a day was 350. I remember the day as Reflex was visiting and we were finishing testing of our Scene Storm CDROM. The BBS was hot that day, everytime any node logged off, another call came in. Around that time it was very active every day. This would be 1996 and over 300 calls to Digital Candy per day was not at all unusual.

Interestingly I have got another A4000, DAT drive, CD jukeboxes and Cyberstorm 060 now and have restored a DAT backup of the entire Digital Candy BBS. Working (slowly) towards putting it on telnet so you can all log on again. All message bases, file lists, uploads and user.data is intact.

Its been really fun looking through all the old stuff!!

Watch this space!

Hybrid - Digital Candy
Old 10 May 2006, 15:21   #42
petza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid
Hi there mate. Dont remember that Max's door running but did have lots of cool custom doors written for me by Reflex. My favourite was the CD door that allowed access to the 14 online CDs in 2 7-CD jukeboxes. The email door was cool as well, allowing people access to true email as not many people had it in those days.

The BBS cost something in the order of 200 quid per quarter in line rental plus a boat load of phonebills and plenty of electric!

The most calls I had in a day was 350. I remember the day as Reflex was visiting and we were finishing testing of our Scene Storm CDROM. The BBS was hot that day, everytime any node logged off, another call came in. Around that time it was very active every day. This would be 1996 and over 300 calls to Digital Candy per day was not at all unusual.

Interestingly I have got another A4000, DAT drive, CD jukeboxes and Cyberstorm 060 now and have restored a DAT backup of the entire Digital Candy BBS. Working (slowly) towards putting it on telnet so you can all log on again. All message bases, file lists, uploads and user.data is intact.

Watch this space!

Hybrid - Digital Candy

it must have been the sysop of havok bbs i talked to about the max's hack&slash i loved that door it was a rpg game quite a few people liked it i kept max's installed to play it

every time a new max file base came out
that was better than the one i was using i used to have to type out the thousands of file desriptions
i did it 3 times on max's
it took days there wernt many file.id.diz back then
i used to use FLE file base i was the only person who could get it to work loads of people used to keep asking me how to install it

my bbs wasnt that expensive to run i only had 1 phone line in my house

WOW its amazing how many calls u got 350 the phones must have rung all day long id get a headache

YEAH AND MAKE BACKUPS
the bbs scene was dead as a door nail by the time my HD died
it would have been cool to see my old bbs again

i cant wait to see your bbs on telnet

Last edited by petza; 10 May 2006 at 15:34.
Old 26 January 2008, 06:20   #43
Chaeo
Monkey Slapper

Telnet: Yeah, that still needs to happen, it would rule the cosmos! A DC section on our AmiExpress site would rock, if you ever dig those pictures out :P

Petza, check this out:

Old 26 January 2008, 14:50   #44
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Hi Hybrid.

long time no chat! Don't know if you remember me. Was on your board in 1993> or something. Met you at the digital party 1995. Nice a4000t you had. damn I was jealous back then!

Cheers!
Old 26 January 2008, 17:25   #45
DoogUK
Doogster

check this out....

telnet necro.cnetbbs.net
Old 13 February 2008, 17:28   #46
Redsquirrel

I used to use Beachy Head BBS, Micks Cupboard and Z Zone. My mum got really paranoid of me phoning these places and speaking to people, especially when one dropped a floppy disc through the letter box with some BBS software with a msg "from santa" on it, LOL.
Old 20 February 2008, 19:10   #47
Shaitan

Paul!

It's been a long long time since we last spoke. How the devil are you?

Craig

Old 20 February 2008, 20:43   #48
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post

Watch this space!

Hybrid - Digital Candy
Reflex was a funny guy, did he ever get his Knight Rider Pontiac Trans-Am?
Old 27 February 2008, 20:36   #49
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
one of many Phil, since a french TV animator bought the one used for mainshot
Old 08 August 2010, 22:17   #50
buzby

run by spreader hahaha good lad still talking to him

he was from the old ccs c64 days (cleveland cracking services)

Quote:

Quartex BBS's, hmmm well I remember Absolute Zero run by (?) in Teeside somewhere, then there was Undertaker's Graveyard BBS in Sunderland, Scott's Dulcet Tones in Glasgow I think and Jester and ? ran the main QTX board down on the south coast somewhere (cant remember the name of it). Trying also to remember if Oasis (Dan) was ever a QTX board.

Regards

Hybrid

Old 17 August 2010, 12:42   #51
Exit

ahhhhhh USR HST/ds modem 14k4 v32bis later on v.34 with flashrom update, that were good times and big telephone bills

favorite bbs: Boondocks/TRSI (Sal-one) and Shadowworld/AFL

did some calling to us (for free ) and sum trading
Old 03 September 2010, 22:27   #52
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Interesting stuff

I was never able to call BBS systems in the UK or Europe because of the expense. Also interesting to see that things were at their highpoint in 1996 for some of these BBS systems when mine had really started to tail off with the death of the Amiga as a commercial platform in 1994 - 1995.

I ended up selling my BBS in 1995 and putting it back online last year. Still up if anyone wants to telnet in, see my signature.

***Oh crap Didn't realize that someone had conjured up a thread necromancer! *** Sorry

Last edited by illy5603; 03 September 2010 at 22:37.
Old 08 September 2010, 20:13   #53
chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
god damn BBS's I tell ya...

when I first brought my Amiga in 1986 I brought everything... then I was introduced to a modem... then the rest is history... at one point I was spending so much on overseas calls I had no money per month for anything else...

in some ways I really hate the BBS scene... if I'd stuck to my guns and just kept on buying original software I'd have a very nice HUGE collection by now...

in short I wasted thousands of dollars and I mean thousands of dollars on software/downloads I don't have a fraction of today...

I might have one hell of a collection of hardware and software today but it could have been so much better...

so yeah, bloody overseas bbs and my lack of discipline...

sucked into that world of collect collect collect... ya never got to use much of the software anyway... of course the other people in my circle benefited until I woke up and asked them to share in download costs...

not one of them wanted anything after that... shortly after that I ended all our cpu friendships...

anyway, nope, I don't recall calling this board :P

thanks Paul aka Hybrid for allowing me to vent... :

now days I only download ... at least I have ALL of that... beautiful hardcore is timeless... heh
I was phone phreaking and using the old AT&T trick to phone LSD'd boards in the states. I had no choice after my wife presented me with a £900 phone bill that I had to sell my car to pay off lol.
Old 30 September 2010, 18:23   #54
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

I only fleetingly dabbled in the BBS scene (around 1995). The main place I used to visit was a UK based BBS called "Den's Den". I found the number at the back of Amiga Shopper magazine.

The sysop was really friendly, and helped me get my AmiTCP software set up so I could get myself online with my recently purchased (well, at the time 'recently') Demon Internet account.

Happy days.
Old 30 September 2010, 18:51   #55
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

My first phone bill for the quarter was £665 after discovering the joy of BBS'in
Those were the days..

So I ended up setting up my own bbs, why call other systems to download stuff when you can get people calling you and upload stuff
Old 16 October 2010, 15:59   #56
Mrchippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
I used to use Beachy Head BBS, Micks Cupboard and Z Zone. My mum got really paranoid of me phoning these places and speaking to people, especially when one dropped a floppy disc through the letter box with some BBS software with a msg "from santa" on it, LOL.
lol - hi there - i was the sysop of Micks cupboard bbs - wow it seems such a long time ago when i run that with 3 lines coming in
i believe my name was The Key at the time...

Old 16 October 2010, 16:17   #57
HonestFlames

I ended up with a >£1000 phone bill which involved the sale of a motorbike to sort out. I'm sure it would have been double if I hadn't found some interesting 0800 numbers to help me out

I used to visit the BBS of the guy who wrote DayDream BBS. Calling Finland from the UK cost a lot

I remember DC and I know I visited a few times. Nicest looking and one of the fastest performing BBS' I ever saw.
Old 16 October 2010, 20:06   #58
dirkies
Zone Friend

Quote:
have restored a DAT backup of the entire Digital Candy BBS.
how big is it?
And chance of puttin it somewhere? ( or so)
Old 06 December 2012, 23:27   #59
s.n.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by petza View Post
i used to give instant access to my warez section to anyone im suprised i never got busted

that pc is stil working fine my sister is using it ive bought 4 new pc's and all of them only last 6 months before they break u must have a magic touch if pips is still going
ya o i called yours a few and i rem speaking to ya sis whe she called min she even did a ascii sig for me that i still have on the bbs

Old 04 April 2015, 21:52   #60
Reflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Reflex was a funny guy, did he ever get his Knight Rider Pontiac Trans-Am?
Nope! ;-) still looking though!