English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 15 May 2016, 21:53   #1
paulo_becas

JP-Mouse - a new low cost mouse adapter for amiga/atari

Me and a friend just developed a new and low cost mouse adapter for amiga/atari ST.

Check out our blog for more news here

http://jp-retro.blogspot.pt/2016/05/...realidade.html

and here

http://www.retromania.pt/cms/2016/05...e-in-portugal/

Old 16 May 2016, 12:08   #2
paulo_becas

International shipping prices just added to the info on the blog.

16€ + 2,60€ (registered mail to Portugal)

16€ + 4,60€ (registered mail to Europe)

16€ + 6,00€ (registered mail to the rest of the world)

Last edited by paulo_becas; 16 May 2016 at 12:33.
Old 16 May 2016, 12:27   #3
paulo_becas

Specifications
-Mouse adapter for Amiga/Atari ST*
-Compatible with any version of this computers
-Support for PC mouse with USB and PS2** interface using PS2 protocol
-Support for wireless mouse of 27mhz
-Support for optical mouse
-Plug and Play, there is no need for any aditional software for this adaptor to work
-It’s Possible to use encapsulation of a DB9-RJ45 adaptor

* By default, all adaptors are configured to be used on the Amiga, the Atari ST
configuration only by request when ordered
** To be able to use a PS2 mouse, an adapter USB to PS2 as to be used. This
adapter is not included in the package

Last edited by paulo_becas; 17 May 2016 at 22:37.
Old 16 May 2016, 13:15   #4
Locutus

Does this adapter do actual USB HID like the Rys?
Old 16 May 2016, 13:30   #5
Immortal

i think i can help...nop thats not the goal of this adapter, this is an exclusively usb mouse adapter, other usb devices are not compatible with it.

This question has been already answered in the original news post: (the original text its in portuguese, but you can translate it on the left side bar)
http://www.retromania.pt/cms/2016/05...e-in-portugal/

In retromania.pt: (google translated)

"The adapter is 100% domestic manufacture and is based on Cocolino, working only with USB mice."

"This adapter is not designed to compete with the RYS or Jerry, they dont fit underneath the plug compartment of a atari st and
substantially cost twice as much."

Last edited by Immortal; 16 May 2016 at 19:09.
Old 16 May 2016, 15:04   #6
paulo_becas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Does this adapter do actual USB HID like the Rys?
The goal for this project was to build a low cost mouse adapter to use a common PC optical USB mouse, other devices are not compatible.
Old 16 May 2016, 20:08   #7
FastRobPlus

Are wheel mice supported (using freewheel or similar)?
Old 16 May 2016, 20:12   #8
dirkies
Zone Friend

Do 2 fit next to reach other? A600 not I guess?
And so no c64 compatibility?
But price looks good!
Old 16 May 2016, 22:30   #9
Locutus

So it is not a true USB (HID) adapter, it relies on some mice supporting PS/2 protocol over their USB connector.

Its nice that there's a new supply of cheap connectors, but it would only be fair and honest to explicitly say that so as to not disappoint people.
Old 16 May 2016, 22:54   #10
Immortal

Quote:
So it is not a true USB (HID) adapter, it relies on some mice supporting PS/2 protocol over their USB connector.

Its nice that there's a new supply of cheap connectors, but it would only be fair and honest to explicitly say that so as to not disappoint people.
that information is more than explicit on the original news post:

In retromania.pt: (google translated)
"The adapter is 100% domestic manufacture and is based on COCOLINO, working only with USB mice."

and more explicit its the title of the original news post / topic title: low cost MOUSE ADAPTER
further more, if this adapter its based on COCOLINO, i think that information alone speaks by itself

Last edited by Immortal; 16 May 2016 at 23:29.
Old 17 May 2016, 07:43   #11
Locutus

If someone doesn't know about the Cocolino, PS/2 Fallback mode, and how these all relate together that is a pretty big chance for dissapointment.

Someone doesn't know about this and reads "working only with USB Mice" so buys it, plugs in their nice modern Logitech/razer/whatever native USB mouse and it doesn't do anything.

I'm sure that is going to be a happy camper.
Old 17 May 2016, 09:39   #12
paulo_becas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRobPlus View Post
Are wheel mice supported (using freewheel or similar)?
For the moment no wheel is supported but we are still working on the code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
But price looks good!
Let me remember that this is a mouse adapter only. I don't see why anyone would want to use two mouses on the amiga but the answer is no, you can't fit two together on an A600 due to A600 Case but on any other amiga you can

Quote:

No one ever said that it was an USB HID adapter I guess this confusion is due to the original news being on Portuguese and since google translate is not very good it could cause confusions.
No one is trying to deceive anyone You're being a little unfair.
I'm here to clearify all the doubts.
When this project was born there were a few things we consider.
First it had to be afordable and cheap, second, the reason to go with the usb plug was because it was cheaper than the PS2 plug and since new mouse are USB based we thought this was the way to go. Third it had to be small enough to fit under an Atari ST.

Quote:
If someone doesn't know about the Cocolino, PS/2 Fallback mode, and how these all relate together that is a pretty big chance for dissapointment.
Someone doesn't know about this and reads "working only with USB Mice" so buys it, plugs in their nice modern Logitech/razer/whatever native USB mouse and it doesn't do anything.
I'm sure that is going to be a happy camper.
Well, we couldn't try all the usb mouses on the market but we tried a few cheap ones (that was the goal). Feel free to make a compatibility list, we are going to do so and i'll post them soon.
I guess you should be one of the few to use an expensive razer mouse. I can't say for sure that it work with those mouses but i can say that it worked with every cheap 5€ mouse we tried. Low price was the objective.

Last thing, this is not Rys, this is a completely diferent adapter. It was build from the ground up with the low cost on mind.

Here's an happy costumer

https://inmiracleworld.wordpress.com...5/17/jp-mouse/
Old 17 May 2016, 09:46   #13
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
They clearly mention low-spec adapters to NOT be competition. I doubt that it can be considered anywhere near competition to the highest-spec adapter Micromys V4.

There have been similar efforts on the a1k.org forum where people have built good quantities of this open-source-based adapter. In the end, it resulted in a visible surge of Micromys V4 sales, because people were disappointed by the cheaper thing. Cocolino has problems with certain KVM switches, it does not do signal filtering on the PS2 end, and wheel support it not available.

Still, the offer is good if you want to have a spare that works with a selected mouse on your secondary Amiga. It will be more responsive than "real" USB HID adapters due to the lower protocol overhead. It would be even better if they would be honest about the open-source part and more clear about the connection: It's a USB connector, but the mouse MUST support PS2 protocol.

Jens
Old 17 May 2016, 09:54   #14
paulo_becas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
They clearly mention low-spec adapters to NOT be competition. I doubt that it can be considered anywhere near competition to the highest-spec adapter Micromys V4.

There have been similar efforts on the a1k.org forum where people have built good quantities of this open-source-based adapter. In the end, it resulted in a visible surge of Micromys V4 sales, because people were disappointed by the cheaper thing. Cocolino has problems with certain KVM switches, it does not do signal filtering on the PS2 end, and wheel support it not available.

Still, the offer is good if you want to have a spare that works with a selected mouse on your secondary Amiga. It will be more responsive than "real" USB HID adapters due to the lower protocol overhead. It would be even better if they would be honest about the open-source part and more clear about the connection: It's a USB connector, but the mouse MUST support PS2 protocol.

Jens
Thanks Jens
This was intended to users who want a more responsive mouse to play or use workbench without spending too much money or using ther old amiga/atari mouse.
Personally i have the Micromys, Cocolino and Rys and in no way this project was intended to compete with these ones but to give a cheap alternative.
I'll be glad if your sales go up because of me

Last edited by paulo_becas; 17 May 2016 at 09:59.
Old 17 May 2016, 09:59   #15
paulo_becas

In the end it resumes to how much are you willing to spend on these adapters
Old 17 May 2016, 10:57   #16
paulo_becas

Quote:
It would be even better if they would be honest about the open-source part and more clear about the connection: It's a USB connector, but the mouse MUST support PS2 protocol.
I miss this last part.
Once again no one is being dishonest if the goal of the people is to discredit others when they try to contribute to the comunity with something affordable, feel free to do so.
My opinion still stands that the actual market is too inflated.
Others can think what they want but that doesn't give anyone the right to judge and call others dishonest.
It's a shame to see this things hapening again and again here on EAB without no one doing nothing about it.
If you don't like it don't buy it

Last edited by paulo_becas; 17 May 2016 at 22:41.
Old 17 May 2016, 11:10   #17
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_becas View Post
If you don't like it don't buy it
The problem is that people may not be aware what they are buying here. There is a major difference in regards to whether it is working with the HID or the PS/2 protocol. I know it won't work with other HID devices like keyboards etc., but many modern mice does not support PS/2 protocol, only USB HID and thus they might not work here. It is fine if it only supports PS/2 protocol, but buyers should know in advance.

Since you have still not provided a clear answer on this, I can only assume that you did not develop the product yourself, but maybe just did the PCB layout based on someone else's schematic and code (there are many of these designs around and I built one for myself using one of these public designs).
Old 17 May 2016, 11:11   #18
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_becas View Post
Others can think what they want but that doesn't give anyone the right to judge and call others disonest.
I beg to differ.

You've taken an open-source project, added some code to swap two pins (Atari ST support) and now sell a commercial project that makes you a little bit of money.

You are not opening up the source of what you've modified, and from what I see, you haven't registered a business. Up to this point, it's not a matter of "opinion", but a matter of fact that you're dishonest in two spots: Paying taxes and honouring the license that the original project has been published under.

While these two spots aren't fixed, anyone has the right to call you dishonest.

Jens
Old 17 May 2016, 11:17   #19
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
You are not opening up the source of what you've modified, and from what I see, you haven't registered a business.
To be fair, he may not need to register a business. It depends on the law in his country. Here in Denmark you do not need to register a business if your gross sales is below some well defined limit, and surely he would need to sell a serious amount of these devices before he would exceed that limit. He would still need to pay taxes obviously, but it would be his own responsibility to declare his earnings.

The rules may be different in Portugal, but due to the small size of this project, I don't think buyers should need to worry much about that.
Old 17 May 2016, 11:19   #20
paulo_becas

It uses the PS2 protocol