English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 December 2016, 14:29   #1
ascp
Pastafarian

Amiga Source Code Preservation

A little project where we try to locate the source code for future preservation for programs on aminet that never had the source released. As you know, most often the authors have changed email many times since their uploads, so for every source code a little detective work needs to be done. And then... do they want to release the source? Do they even have the source left?

Looking for the following authors:

Bilbo the first of Hypnoseis (who was the fellow behind this nick?) - author of RunLame, 8svx2hp48sx
Thomas K├Ânig - author of A4 - Commodore A4 emulator
Patrik Hess - author of cdplaylib, 2iso and more
Stefan Crimi - author GadEdit
Marcus Trisdale - author of AnsiView

Sources that has been preserved, i.e. released and uploaded to aminet is about 100++ so far.
I am a bit lazy, just follow the twitter account to see releases

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmigaSourcePres
Site: https://amigasourcepres.gitlab.io/
Gitrepos: https://gitlab.com/amigasourcecodepreservation

EDIT 2: I really need help with this project. Anyone interested in helping out finding source code, PM me.

Last edited by ascp; 18 March 2018 at 01:34.
Old 21 April 2017, 12:06   #2
wXR

Wow, magnificent project. Can you possibly work with @cmsj on this? He had a great initiative, although I have no idea if he's managed to get anywhere with it yet:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=352
Old 21 April 2017, 12:19   #3
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
Wow, magnificent project. Can you possibly work with @cmsj on this? He had a great initiative, although I have no idea if he's managed to get anywhere with it yet:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=352
For sure, I'll drop him P.M. I do belive in choosing one author at a time and do some deeper search though, as most of the email from let's say pre 2000 wont work. Also, I think a personal mail it worth a zillion more than just trying to automail.

I also have a little list with projects who have lost their sources, or for whom the author said no to share, so I will try to share that list at some point, so we dont harass some poor old devs again and again.
Old 21 April 2017, 12:22   #4
wXR

Great.

Do you mind sharing the story of your success so far?

"Thorsten Stocksmeier - author of Argue , FFNews and more - Found. Will dig out sources."

It would probably be helpful for people to know how you went about this, in as much detail as possible.
Old 21 April 2017, 14:59   #5
Marlon_
Amiga Programmer

How about hosting the sources on github on an "Amiga Source Code Preservation" account for those sources that aren't on there?

It would be great to have one place to look for all the sources, rather than browsing through aminet. It'll be easier to make a fork of the sources and make changes too!
Old 21 April 2017, 22:33   #6
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
Great.

Do you mind sharing the story of your success so far?
It would probably be helpful for people to know how you went about this, in as much detail as possible.
Well, be polite, personal and don't spam. Offer to taker care of all the boring stuff like adding a license, upload etc. That is about it Really, I don't have any tricks to share.

If someone wants to help
A) Locate some authors that are mentioned in the first post, I will try to keep that list updated and ever changing. I myself have given up on finding them.

B) Try to contact some owners of long time defunct game publishers and see what happened. I'm only browsing aminet, but I think quite a few commercial old games could be released with the rights author contacts. Just my gut feeling.

C) Contact your favourite scener/democoder/cracktrocoder. I am not working with this at all, but it would be cool if there were more source code releases of this stuff.

Last edited by ascp; 22 April 2017 at 11:45.
Old 21 April 2017, 22:38   #7
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
How about hosting the sources on github on an "Amiga Source Code Preservation" account for those sources that aren't on there?

It would be great to have one place to look for all the sources, rather than browsing through aminet. It'll be easier to make a fork of the sources and make changes too!
Thanks for the idea, will think about it.
Old 21 April 2017, 22:44   #8
michaelz

I checked Thomas a bit. http://aminet.net/package/misc/emu/A4 gives the domain Koenig.at that still has a website. Did you try to email them? It looks (family name) close enough to be an easy hit.
Old 21 April 2017, 22:47   #9
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelz View Post
I checked Thomas a bit. http://aminet.net/package/misc/emu/A4 gives the domain Koenig.at that still has a website. Did you try to email them? It looks (family name) close enough to be an easy hit.
I think i tried that route a while back and got no response. Which of course might also be an answer in itself But thx for the suggestion. Maybe I should try again.
Old 22 April 2017, 07:28   #10
Crown
Demoscener

Great initiative indeed.

if interested we could host your files in parallel to the Amiga Music Preservation (AMP): http://amp.dascene.net

would be nice to have demo sources as well

Cheers
Old 22 April 2017, 08:52   #11
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown View Post
Great initiative indeed.

if interested we could host your files in parallel to the Amiga Music Preservation (AMP): http://amp.dascene.net

would be nice to have demo sources as well

Cheers
I really like your site amp, your idea and your efforts with the site amp. At the moment I rather just do try to find authors and ask about their code though as I have very limited time for this project and everything else would be an distraction. However at some point there will be very few new sources or authors to found, and maybe then it would be time to do something more.

One thing I would love to do is a bunch of small interviews with different authors, what the early programming years meant for them, what they do now etc - but hey, one thing at a time, let's just get some more stuff preserved out there first

No one would be more glad than me if someone started doing this project for demo/cracktros/sceneproductions, either in corporation with me, or as their own project. I am just doing regular aminetstuff one category and author a time - eventually I wll get to the demofolder but I hope someone else does this before me I think finding demoauthors might be tougher, as most people was just using nicks, and sometimes changed nicks over time.
Old 22 April 2017, 10:27   #12
Crown
Demoscener

hi mate,

I totally get that and please do not hesitate to contact me at any time if you need assistance.

I wish you the very best indeed.

FYI Dan/Lemon. is on the board, and a few other demoscene programmers too.

crown
Old 22 April 2017, 11:17   #13
wXR

Well well well. Wonderful. I have never been so glad to have bumped a thread.
Old 12 May 2017, 08:32   #14
ascp
Pastafarian

Thought it would be worth to say that Frank Wille released the code for the classic assembler PhxAss yesterday. Even if not much will happen with it and it's obsoleted, it's still a cool piece of history.
Old 12 May 2017, 18:40   #15
michaelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
Thought it would be worth to say that Frank Wille released the code for the classic assembler PhxAss yesterday. Even if not much will happen with it and it's obsoleted, it's still a cool piece of history.

We'll see what happ be now. At least this piece of software gets a chance to get into the 21st century
Old 12 May 2017, 19:06   #16
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Can I ask why is it obsoleted? Yikes - it's written in assembler!
Old 12 May 2017, 19:41   #17
PeterK

No, PhxAss is not obsolete ! It's an excellent tool for coding in assembler and it's compiling incredible fast. Many thanks to Frank Wille !
Old 12 May 2017, 19:45   #18
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Meynaf wanted the sources to at least fix some bugs/inconsistencies and make some minor enhancements. I hope Frank reserves the right to decide what goes into any official bug fix and minor enhancement release or forks with major changes get a name change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Can I ask why is it obsoleted? Yikes - it's written in assembler!
Vasm deprecated PhxAss. PhxAss is significantly faster and works on lower spec machines so it is still useful even if considered deprecated and obsolete by some. Even AmigaOS 4 would be considered obsolete by today's standards. Every Amiga user uses obsolete hardware and software. Does that make us obsolete?
Old 12 May 2017, 21:40   #19
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
No, PhxAss is not obsolete ! It's an excellent tool for coding in assembler and it's compiling incredible fast. Many thanks to Frank Wille !
I certainly agree!!!. Many thanks to Frank!!
Old 13 May 2017, 02:48   #20
gulliver
BoingBagged

Good work jonathan!

Thank you for your efforts.