English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 26 July 2010, 23:35   #1
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

A2000 + Combo 040@33 (16MB Fast) OS3.9 Problem

Hello my fellow forum chummies

Currently while awaiting some components I thought that I would catch up with one of my dreamy "it can be done" projects, like the one I am writting to now asking some of you for help for.

I have been building my A2000 over the last year and a bit, collecting little bits here and there, and finally I spent some time getting the ol'girl off the ground.

She is an A2000 with 2MB chip and a GVP Combi-040@33mhz with 16MB Fast.

She is running from a 18.1GB SCSI HDD partitioned to 3 places using SFS, with Classic Workbench 3.9 installed but I am having some boot problems, my hope is that you can help me.

Firstly this system works with Classic Workbench Advanced (3.1) but I have since removed this and plumbed for CW3.9

Now I removed "Copper" from the WBStartup directory as this was causing a suspend / reboot fault, however the system just hangs on on a CLI window, alas I have gone through what I thought obvious in the startup sequences and ";" them out - but still no dice.

Now I can boot without Startup-sequence, and then assign T and ENV to RAM - then run "loadWB" and it semi loads, in its most basic of basics, alas nothing works when clicked - like screenmode in prefs - double click and nothing happens.... infact any program when clicked - zip-nada-nothing.

The ClassicWorkbench3.9 build is a default setup copied from the HDF. Once installed to the HDD I customized the setup by setting the screen mode to 16 colours - tested this in UAE under ECS chipset and found the issue with "Copper" - after removing (deleting) Copper from the wbstartup the system still hangs in CLI (mouse lock) on boot (but not in winuae).

It has been a few days/hours and I am now at a loss as to what else could be holding up the boot, as the drive boots fine under UAE setup with a 2MB ECS chipset, 040 (fpu+mmu) and 16MB of Z3 fast selected.

Current A2000 hardware configuration setup -

Rev6.2 motherboard
2MB total - (1MB Chip +1MB MiniMega *PAL*)
GVP Combo-040@33Mhz + 16MB Fast (burst mode)
Rev 4.15 SCSI ROM
18.1GB SCSI HDD
KS3.1 ROM ()
Custom 450watt PSU

I could use any some ideas as to whats keeping her down, is it an incompatability with OS3.9 and the ECS chipset or have I missed somthing blindingly obvious?

Earlier saturday she was running on ClassicWorkbench Lite and I was enjoying a spattering of Cannon Fodder

Anyway my hope is once this hurdle is completed the next will be the Addition of the Picasso2+ and the Catweasel Z2 (have some cool ideas for these)

So any help would be appreciated =)

Last edited by Zetr0; 26 July 2010 at 23:58.
Old 26 July 2010, 23:48   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I'll probably get the pimp hand for asking this, but you're not running <3.1 rom are you?

I'm a clot and tried CWB OS3.9 on my A4000 and it wouldn't boot then I was like I've only got 3.0 rom
Old 26 July 2010, 23:55   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

You're not alone, Steve! That's exactly what I thought after reading the OP.
Old 26 July 2010, 23:58   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

yes... KS3.1 is installed =)

now where did I put that pimp hand... =D
Old 27 July 2010, 00:07   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Since I've got my A600 down here at the moment, I'll whack CWB OS3.9 on a CF and take it for a test drive - will be back soon... At least we can know if its a ECS problem.
Old 27 July 2010, 00:09   #6
Bloodwych

I've already mentioned this to Zetro, but I'll throw it in here. I'm not good at sorting out real hardware issues, as I just use WinUAE these days.

The Copper needs disabling because it is AGA only. As mentioned above, OS3.9 requires a 3.1 ROM, but it should work on the ECS chipset in 16 colour screenmode or below. The fact you have it running in WinUAE with the same config kind of confirms this.

My thought was the SCSI.device ROM update built into OS3.9 and enabled by default in the ClassicWB pack for large hard drive support; the version being the one that comes with BB2. This version had issues with certain controllers too compared to the BB1 version if I remember rightly (could be wrong). There is a patch on Aminet I think to fix all issues with the BB2 version and add features.

Perhaps the SCSI hard drive controller has it's own replacement and you need to SKIPROMUPDATES?

There is also the 3.5 pack Zetro. Might work better on an ECS chipset as it has a faster graphics library I think (but you may still have the same problem as the 3.9 pack). You always used to swear about OS3.5 being the best.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 27 July 2010 at 00:17.
Old 27 July 2010, 00:18   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Bloodwych

Indeed I did (before I got to play with your CW3.9!), but I will be testng the CW3.5 very shortly =)

My sincere thanks for all your help, time and effort you have put into a definitive development. I will be honest, I dont think I enjoyed my Amiga's half as much as I do know with Classic Workbench!
Old 27 July 2010, 00:36   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

You're going to hate me

Its working fine on my A600, can FTP you my HDD install if you like? Not that it should be any different to yours

So I guess at least we know its not incompatible with the ECS Chipset.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 27 July 2010 at 00:44.
Old 27 July 2010, 00:51   #9
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
What about the 68040.library ? Installed or non hardware specific version. can make or break the system.
Old 27 July 2010, 02:35   #10
source
Zone Friend

That is my thought. I have a A2000 right now wist 3.1 rom and GVP 060. After installing the OS I have to run rhe takmagic install disk. If I don't, the computer hangs with dark grey screen. I have to boot with the 3.1 workbench then install the tekmagic. Thn the computer boots.
Old 29 July 2010, 01:30   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Okay spent a little more time on the A2000 today - with some interesting results - sorry for the long post -

To start off I reformatted and prepared 3 different SCSI Disks (under SFS) on the PC using WinUAE

1. Disk1: 18.9GB U2W SCSI3 (compaq)
  • Partition 1: Classic Workbench 3.5 (524MB) - (SFS - CFS00)
    • Removed Copper from WBstartup
    • Removed TinyMeter from Startup
  • Partition 2: Games&Demos (6GB) (SFS - CFS00)
    • Installed a 200MB Selecton of WHDLoad Games (NON AGA)
  • Partition 3: Productivity (11.6GB) (SFS - CFS00)
    • Installed a 100MB Selecton of device drivers and untilities

Amiga Setup:
  • Model: Amiga A2000 Rev 6.2
  • Chipset: FULL ECS
  • CHIP RAM: 1MB Chip + 1MB Chip via MiniMega
  • KS ROM: KS3.1
  • Accelerator: GVP Combi 040@33 + 16MB (4x4) GVP RAM in Burst Mode
  • SCSI adapter: GVP Combi 040 SCSI Controller onboard
  • SCSI ROM: Babel ROM 4.15

Results:

After attaching Disk1 to the Amiga, there was only a minor pause due to no floppy drive attached, the system booted to a 16 colour CWOS3.5 - albiet slowly. I reduced the Colours to 8, and it became a little more snappy to use. This wont be an issue once the Picasso 2+ is installed (should we get that far lol)

Problems
  • 1. No partitions are seen or mounted in workbench.
  • 2. When loading up IGame it attempts to load the games (from a partion thats not mounted).
  • 3. A reboot into early startup menu can "SEE" all three partions CDH0, CDH1 and CDH2 respectively.

I booted into CWOS3.5 and then installed the GVP combi 040 install disk.

The install completed quickly and I rebooted. the system loads but crashed at the end of workbench booting up ... i.e. all the icons load in (no partitions) and then it just hangs.

I removed the entries into the startup and user startup sequences, however the system still crashes - I suspect that the 040.library has been overwritten and is not compatible in some way.

Next Test:-

1. Disk2: 8.4GB U2W SCSI2/3 (Cheeta)
  • Partition 1: Classic Workbench 3.9 (512MB) - (SFS - CFS00)
    • Removed Copper from WBstartup
    • Removed TinyMeter from Startup
  • Partition 2: Games&Demos (4GB) (SFS - CFS00)
  • Partition 3: Other (3.9GB) (SFS - CFS00)

Results:
Upon booting the unit hangs on a CLI window, no mouse moment - nothing.

Problems:
1. The system still crashes and hangs on boot time - stuck on CLI
2. Early startup reports all three Partitions SDH0, SDH1 and SDH2
3. OS cannot see or mount SDH1 or SDH2 paritions.

I Booted without a startup sequence, checked and found that only SDH0 was available.

I Assigned "T:" and "ENV:" to "RAM:" and then attempted a "loadWB" from CLI

within a few moments I received a information window explaining an access / mount point error with SDH1 . and then the system locked up.

Next Test:-

1. Disk2: 2.1GB SCSI2 (HP)
  • Partition 1: Classic Workbench Advanced (2.1GB) - (FFS)

Results:
No problems - system booted fine and was highly useable and there might of been a good 20 minutes of SuperCars 2, but hey.... I was testin' err... the joy pad.... it might of gotten magentically corrupted from the magnetic fields splash screen that came up after clicking it in iGame =)

Synopsis of Possible Issues:
  • 1. GVP ROM (4.15) with Large 4GB> HDD's
  • 2. GVP ROM (4.15) and (SFS)

I am inclined to believe the former as this might be a limmitation of the 4.15 ROM (not having 64bit support), I have a guru rom 6.14 (has 64bit support) with its adapter (although the adapter needs a gentle solder as one of the pins has come off =()

so yeah.... looks like I better try the Guru ROM next on these units.

if anyone has any ideas, I would wecome them =)
Old 29 July 2010, 01:59   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Wow! You have been busy.
Old 29 July 2010, 10:57   #13
Hewitson

What is the software which comes with CWB that gives you those nice fonts?
Old 31 July 2010, 04:38   #14
source
Zone Friend

I thought that the gvp on board scsi does not do n64 or d64 commands. I can't remember what the standard iscalled.
Old 31 July 2010, 12:13   #15
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@source

I believe the GVP cards support SCSI Direct, which SFS supports, but the controller (without the 6.xx GVP guru rom) wont do anything bigger than 3.5GB HDD's

(done some more reading)

Anyway, programmed a couple of GVP 6.14 Guru ROMS (one padded for x00 and the other for xFF) the reason for this is the last I programmed a while back didn't work on the GVP Impact Series 2 HC8+ adapter =( so fingeres crossed eh?
Old 31 July 2010, 12:31   #16
Bloodwych

That's what I suggested straight away Zetro! scsi.device issues.

Hope you get it sorted.