English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 September 2013, 22:14   #1
trydowave

Is there a guide to burning CD32 isos?

Hello. Is there a correct way to burn CD32 isos onto Cd? What speeds, media to use etc?

I just burned an flink onto a Signalex CD-R at 32x and it won't boot. My original Fightin' Spirit disc does boot so I know the drive and amiga are ok.

Cheers
Tony
Old 28 September 2013, 22:34   #2
roy bates

i use img burn for amiga isos at 4x speed.

some peaple say burn them at the speed of the drive some say slower.
Old 28 September 2013, 22:40   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The brand in combination with the burner/speed can matter. You have to try what works best for you. Verbatim CD-Rs burned in 8x speed should usually be fine. Of course if the CD images are properly dumped.
Old 28 September 2013, 23:47   #4
desiv

I know the drive can matter..
My laptop has a burner, but when I burn from there, I sometimes get an iffy disk.
Sometimes won't read, etc on my Amiga 1200 sometimes will. (Same with 3DO burns)
But the burns are always readable on my laptop and/or PC.

But if I burn the disks on my PC, they always seem to work...

I figure my laptop burner just isn't very good.. ;-)

desiv
(Problem is that I almost never power on my PC anymore.. I usually try it with my laptop first, and if it fails, then power up the PC. Gives me a few coasters from time to time, but mostly it works.. ;-)
Old 28 September 2013, 23:53   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

My external Samsung disk burner can not make discs readable for CD32, 3DO and PSX but internal LG can.
Old 29 September 2013, 11:52   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
i use img burn for amiga isos at 4x speed.

some peaple say burn them at the speed of the drive some say slower.
Speed doesn't matter.
Its just some drives refuse to read certain burnt discs. Tweaking the laser power can sometimes help, but its not worth it.
Old 29 September 2013, 12:11   #7
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Speed doesn't matter.
Its just some drives refuse to read certain burnt discs. Tweaking the laser power can sometimes help, but its not worth it.

sorry fol,i ment the speed of the drive in the pc.

if i burned them at a faster speed on the pc it turned them to costers.
Old 29 September 2013, 19:35   #8
desiv

I've heard that before about speed of burning and certain drives..
I'm guessing it's related to what FOL mentioned about laser power..
If your laser is at X power and you burn at Y speed, you get a certain amount of laser exposure (burn) per track..
But if you are spinning the disc faster, I'd assume that means slightly less exposure on each spot (as it's there for a smaller period of time).
(Just a guess here, there 0 real math in there.. and if you'd seen me try to do math, that's a good thing..)

Probably only an issue with underpowered burners, like the one in my laptop.
My internal (which is an LG, interestingly enough as s2325's internal LG also works well) seems to work fine..
So, I do wonder if, on an underpowered drive, using the slower speed will give you a slightly better burn???? However, as that drive is most likely an underpowered drive in the first place, best not to use it for these more sensitive end points.. ;-)

desiv
Old 30 September 2013, 00:07   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
sorry fol,i ment the speed of the drive in the pc.

if i burned them at a faster speed on the pc it turned them to costers.
Same thing, I have always burnt at full speed and never had any issues. However trying same disc's (self created test disc's) in work on various CD32's gave different results.
Old 30 September 2013, 09:02   #10
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Same thing, I have always burnt at full speed and never had any issues. However trying same disc's (self created test disc's) in work on various CD32's gave different results.

yes mate,i understand what you saying.

but,by coster i mean it cant be read by another amiga(other than a cd32) either or even the pc it was burned on.
which by defenition is a coster.

i just did what works for me,wether it be bad media or drive or whatever.
the maximum the drive burns at here is 48x or something,the max ive been use for other systems is somewhere between 4x and 16x speed.
Old 30 September 2013, 12:38   #11
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
even the pc it was burned on.
which by defenition is a coster.
Never had that before. Have only ever had problem with +R media. I hate +R, completely crap format. The discs screw up to easily or degrade after a matter of months and no longer can be read.
Old 30 September 2013, 12:54   #12
diablothe2nd

from my previous experience with burning original xbox games the drive brand used to make the disc didn't seem to matter, but the DISC BRAND and writing SPEED on the other hand, did. for example I used Bulkpaq dvd-r discs and burned at slowest speed and it'd work every single time, in every single version of xbox, even the models with the more picky dvd drive... while burning those same discs in the same drive, at higher speeds gave very unpredictable results. some xbox's would read them, and others of same models would not etc etc. there were some brands of dvd-r that just simply never worked (or rarely worked) even when burned at the slowest speed. i avoided any unbranded discs. Verbatim for a while worked, until i tried Bulkpaq which were much cheaper.

I'm no longer up beat on cd-r brands, and have only last week run out of a 100 disc drum i bought 10 years ago. but it may help if you stick to the following rules:

-Stick to known brands
-don't burn in laptops or external disc drives. they tend to vibrate more, especially with cheapy unbranded discs as they aren't as uniform and so the balance of spin is off (more vibration)
-burn at slowest possible speeds when your target reading device is pretty old. remember that laser technology at the time could only manage 2x or 4x (if you're lucky, 8x) and so needs a jolly good mark in the disc to read.
-always use "burnproof" and shut down any other apps likely to trigger a spike in cpu and ram usage that would cause a stutter when writing. this happens much less often with today's modern tech, but back when i used to burn xbox games i'd get a coaster if i even opened a web browser.
-EDIT- one last thing, if your PC case is on the floor, don't go thumping around lead footed or bang your chair or something near it. i've created a few coasters just by walking past the tower a bit heavy footed, and had the machine spit the dead disc out almost immediately after doing so. (yes, i had been known to tip-toe away when i set a burn going )

hope this helps

Last edited by diablothe2nd; 30 September 2013 at 13:09. Reason: lots of typos and clearing up some explanations
Old 01 October 2013, 17:15   #13
RetroPaul

Useful thread, Ive tried numerous times to burn iso's for my CD32 but it won't play any of them. The laser in the CD32 is new and it plays all my originals with no problems.
I did read elsewhere to use the cheap non-labelled disc's so they are what i have tried so far. I also found that the burners i have access to have a minimum burn speed and won't go down to 2x or 4x so i was wondering if that was the cause.

Anyway ive just ordered some Verbatim CD-R's so ill give them a try instead.
Old 01 October 2013, 17:41   #14
mombasajoe

Verbatim works best here.