English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 September 2013, 23:19   #21
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

That was the first combination I tried But it wont wake up at all.
I can fiddle around with all kinds of combinations, but as soon as I close J7, it wont wake up. With J7 open it works as a normal FAST RAM card.
Maybe my FPU is dead

No backside pics. I made many front side, never thought backside would be important (duh). I will make some tomorrow since it is pretty dark here now
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 September 2013, 23:23   #22
roy bates

have you got anything you could try the fpu in?

a picture of the other side would give a clue as to how the jumpers are arranged.
Old 27 September 2013, 23:40   #23
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Unfortunately, I have no other card. Nor anyone I know in Belgrade who has a card with FPU socket.
I will come back tomorrow with fresh pics, and some text I've found in Italian So maybe some of our Italian colleagues will join us
Thank you very much for your help gentlemen, hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this tomorrow!
Old 27 September 2013, 23:44   #24
roy bates

i wish i could of helped more,but i dont have one of these cards to even look at.
Old 28 September 2013, 08:50   #25
Jope
-

My opinion is:

J7 = FPU on / off
J8 = jumper on two top pins sync clock, jumper on two bottom pins use an oscillator that you need to plug into the empty socket
J9 = jumper on two top pins PGA, jumper on two bottom pins PLCC

For the config in the picture, the correct config would be to close J7 and jumper the top two pins of J8 and J9 both.

Do not bridge J8 and J9 together, they wouldn't be marked as separate jumpers if that was a supported configuration.

Perhaps you indeed need to verify that your FPU works in another card / computer.. Franchute's picture showed the configuration you should be using and if it isn't working, then the card is broken or the FPU is broken.
Old 28 September 2013, 09:16   #26
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
My opinion is:

J7 = FPU on / off
J8 = jumper on two top pins sync clock, jumper on two bottom pins use an oscillator that you need to plug into the empty socket
J9 = jumper on two top pins PGA, jumper on two bottom pins PLCC

For the config in the picture, the correct config would be to close J7 and jumper the top two pins of J8 and J9 both.

Do not bridge J8 and J9 together, they wouldn't be marked as separate jumpers if that was a supported configuration.

Perhaps you indeed need to verify that your FPU works in another card / computer.. Franchute's picture showed the configuration you should be using and if it isn't working, then the card is broken or the FPU is broken.

yes jope,it does look that way.

after a bit of thought(not that i was doing much of that last night) with the config you mention the two pins in the middle of the six pin pack should be connected together on the pcb(i dont mean jumpered),easy to test with a multimeter.
that would almost confirm that.

but,heres the thing.
all that would of happened if he shorted j8 to j9 on the top two pins was sent the internal clock signal to the pga socket

a little dodgy picture: (where ive put pga and plcc on this pic it should of been between the three pins on the left not next to the top two,lol)

Last edited by roy bates; 28 September 2013 at 10:29.
Old 28 September 2013, 13:22   #27
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

First of all, thank you very much for your effort. Everyone has been really great. Roy even made a helpful doodle
I'm here with new pics.
The backside:

An Italian review of the card:

As far as I can understand, it's only about capabilities. But not exact instructions.

Close-up of FPU:

There is still some space between FPU and socket. But it wont go in any more when normal strength is applied. Should I go for extra monstrous strength ?

All things considered, I agree the jumpers should be positioned like on variation 1 on Roy's doodle. So my FPU is either non-functioning, or I should smack him even harder into the socket
Old 28 September 2013, 14:14   #28
roy bates

personally,i would say youve either got a dead fpu or bad pal on the board.or even something else.

you could try carefully reseating the pal's and hope that does something.
dont bother pushing down on the fpu anymore if its in all the way,i dont think it would many difference.although you could try reseating it lioke the pal's
Old 28 September 2013, 14:30   #29
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

I think the FPU is dead Or the socket.
Anyway, I tried pushing down on pals, that didn't help. I wouldn't like to risk reseating them since the card works perfectly well as a RAM card. And that's the most important thing to me. I could snap off one of the pins and then cry like a baby I will, though, try to find a cheap PLCC FPU, and try seating that one sometimes in the future

For now, a big thank you to you all for doing all this detective work with me
Old 23 March 2018, 03:33   #30
Nightshft

Hello, I have exact the same problem with a BC1208 card. There is a 68882 FPU in the PLCC Socket. If I enable it with Jumper J7 the Amiga doesnt start anymore. Did you Lord Aga or anybody find a solution to this? Or know whats wrong? (I could buy an oscillator or new fpu, but if the board is broken that would be wasted money... Ram and RTC on the board work fine.)
AdSense AdSense