English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 September 2013, 20:06   #21
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

The tuning screw has no effect on the quality of the picture regarding RF with a digital TV as it does with an analog TV?

'Cause back in the days, the off-colors and jumping screen could be corrected by fine-tuning the modulator (or the TV, but i guess with digital that can't be done) to the correct frequency.
Old 11 September 2013, 20:19   #22
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
The tuning screw has no effect on the quality of the picture regarding RF with a digital TV as it does with an analog TV?
An RF modulator's output will not produce a response from a digital TV, unless it is an early hybrid analogue/digital TV, in which case the tuning screw will have the same effect as it would using an analogue TV.
Old 12 September 2013, 13:43   #23
Solo761

Yup, if it isn't hybrid tuner it simply won't find anything to show.

I recapped my A500 (it's easier to start with her than A1200 since it has classic through hole capacitors) yesterday (I used panasonic capacitors. Still the same problem with garbled picture over rgb -> scart. So it's not cap issue :/. I tried connecting it to TV with composite, it's monochromatic but hey...

Actually I didn't know it had it. I saw the connector, it says mono under it so I finally googled what it is. It turned out to be mono composite output.

Anyway, I connected that to TV and picture showed more or less fine, although in black and white. Too bad I didn't thought of that before I recapped it. I wonder if it would have worked with original capacitors.
Old 12 September 2013, 20:46   #24
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo761 View Post
Too bad I didn't thought of that before I recapped it. I wonder if it would have worked with original capacitors.
Don't spend too long regretting that decision. It's always better to have had your Amiga recapped than not.
Old 13 September 2013, 00:40   #25
Solo761

Of course, they did their time, time to let them go . They didn't leaked, there's no trace of corrosion on motherboard, but after all this time I', sure electrolytes lost some of their characteristics.

I'm just sorry I didn't try it to see if the picture quality changed much.
Old 17 September 2013, 13:44   #26
Solo761

Well, it seems it's TV's fault after all. LG 42LW579s LCD TV doesn't like Amiga. I tried both of them, A500 and A1200, on CRT LG TV and there were no problems with the picture. Tried some games and they also worked fine. So cable was also fine...

It gave me frights for no reason :/. Luckily I ordered GBS 8200 two weeks ago. It should arrive soon so when I make cable for it I'll finally be able to use it at home. Friggin TV :/.

Although I still have to replace caps on A1200, three of them look leaked a bit, contacts lost their shine and are dark and dull. I'll only need to decide on the method to remove old ones. Unfortunately i haven't found any dead electronic stuff with SMD caps to practice twisting them off.
Only thing that didn't work was composite on A1200, picture was really snowy, one can barely see kickstart screen. That could be capacitor issue. Two of those three caps are near composite out.

Is there perhaps a topic with list of TV's that are working/non working with amiga rgb cable? I have one for "non working" list .