English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 October 2013, 09:16   #1
Tuckernem

repair or diagnose

Hello, im brand new to the forum,and also ive only ever used the amigas for running games

I WILL UPLOAD SOME PHOTOS LATER ON THIS WEEK IF IT HELPS WITH MY FOLLOWING QUESTION

i have a 1200 and a 500

1200, works fine, no problems

500, turns on, but only the power light works nothing else happens.
on the side, next to the floppy disc drive,....there is a switch
with a peice of paper stuck it with 2 options
1m and 1/2m

now i remember this USED to work, and i think it changed the kickstart or workbench (i dont really know the difference) so that you could run amiga 1200, and 500 games on the 500........how ever it doesnt seem to click anymore and since then the 500 stopped working

Q1 will i be able to self repair 500 if i take photos and post it onthis site? with the help of u guys

Q2 if i cant self repair, is there anyone out there, locally to cleveland/newcastle/yorkshire area who can help?

Cheers

Tucker

Old 10 October 2013, 09:31   #2
roy bates

if its a switch maked 1 and half its more than likely a memory card.
try removing it and see if it boots.
check it for battery leakage if it has one if it has leaked remove it and clean the board.

if your using a kickstart switch,that doesent help with 1200 games.

if you dont have any soldering/technical knowledge it might be difficult to fix.
you could start by reseating the socketed chips on the motherboard after the above suggestion.and also check the power supply,since you have two amigas you could swap for the other one and see if it works.

i would gladly have a look at your amiga for you,minus the power supply and leads.
although shipping it back and forth might be a killer
Old 10 October 2013, 09:39   #3
Tuckernem

Great, thanks for the advice
i think ill take the cover off the 500, take a photo and post to to give you an idea of what is under there.

that way anyone can edit the photo to show where i need to make repairs

ill see if i can self repair for the time being because it will give me a chance to learn more about the parts of the 500 but if i get stuck i may send it if that will still be an option

cheers

Old 10 October 2013, 09:43   #4
roy bates

cant wait to see the pictures

try the above suggestions first and see if does anything.

oh,does the drive make a ticking noise? or not.

also try to discribe if anything comes on screen, what colour etc as much detail as possible.

Last edited by roy bates; 10 October 2013 at 13:09.
Old 10 October 2013, 22:43   #5
Tuckernem

Here is the photos for the 500, it turns out its a 500+

i dont know what it is, but there was an attachment, with 2 long chips, and it clips on top of something labeled "ROM" underneath
this attachment is what has the lead with the switch, which is labeled "1m and 1/2 m"

also the trap door has a plug in attachment, this maybe extra ram, i dont know, can someone have a look at the pictures and tell me what they are.

i tried removing both of these and the amiga 500+ will still not doing anything, the power light comes on, but thats it, floppy drive doesnt do anything, it wont even restart when you press the reboot keys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3174.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	519.2 KB
ID:	37153   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3175.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	517.5 KB
ID:	37154   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3176.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	500.4 KB
ID:	37155   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3177.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	568.6 KB
ID:	37156   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3178.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	560.7 KB
ID:	37157  

Old 10 October 2013, 23:35   #6
roy bates

ah yes ,ok.

the two long chips on a board are kickstarts,why the the switch is marked 1/2 and 1 is a mystory,lol.
it just changes between say 1.3 and 2. kickstarts with the switch.(switch is used while the computer if off)
carefully remove one of the rom chips from the adaptor with two chips on and insert it into the socket marked rom and make sure the empty pins in the socket are at the top of the socket where the arrows are pointing down(the empty ones should be near the silver can like object)

the board in the trapdoor is a 1mb card for a total of 2mb of chipram the switch is to turn it off and on (while the computer is off).
remove this altogether for now.

right can you see if there is any green/white gundge around the battery for me please.
and take a nice picture of that area in a close up if your camera is up to it.
also see if it hasent spread to a socket marked gary and to a part marked 74ls244 in that area.

if you have another power supply try that.

try removing and reinserting all the chips one at a time (starting with gary and the cia's)and see if it does anything.dont try to remove agnus with a screwdriver you might damage the part or the socket you would need a plcc puller for that.

also,take a picture of the far right where the switch is as well.its unclear but it doesent look right.

when you turn it on is there a picture on the tv? and what happens etc

at all times be carefull.if your not familiar with electronics or feel unsure dont attempt to repair it,you could do more damage.
if its anything other than a simple repair youll need a soldering iron and multimeter and some basic knowledge of electronics.

they are nice systems when there working by the way,i have a few.its a revision 8 motherboard.

Last edited by roy bates; 11 October 2013 at 00:04.
Old 11 October 2013, 00:00   #7
Tuckernem

its worked!
i put in the chip
there was 2

one was 315093
the one i put in was something like
39****

now its worked, the games run fine EXCEPT there is no sound
im using a RF lead going from the 520 modulor at the top
no other cables

any recomendations?

also i turn off the extention in the trap door

ALSO the battery hasnt leaked at all

Old 11 October 2013, 00:15   #8
roy bates

perfect,there should be leads that go from the left and right audio and go into the modulator the a520 thats for sound.(it looks like a y splitter)

if you have a phono to phono lead you could use composite from the a520.and another lead for stereo sound from the amiga to the tv.

at a later date see if you can get yourself a rgb to scart cable there much better.

theres a few options for you

if your unsure of what any of these leads look like,just ask and i'll post a picture here.
Old 11 October 2013, 01:04   #9
Tuckernem

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
perfect,there should be leads that go from the left and right audio and go into the modulator the a520 thats for sound.(it looks like a y splitter)

if you have a phono to phono lead you could use composite from the a520.and another lead for stereo sound from the amiga to the tv.

at a later date see if you can get yourself a rgb to scart cable there much better.

theres a few options for you

if your unsure of what any of these leads look like,just ask and i'll post a picture here.
cheers roy thats agreat help,

if possible can u post a link to a suitable rgb scart cable on amiga kit

Old 11 October 2013, 01:20   #10
roy bates

amigakit:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=226

ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commodore-...item3a640480bb

the one on ebay uses a proper 23 pin plug not a 25 pin one cut down.