English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 September 2013, 21:53   #1
Risteard

Question Blizzard 1230 IV: Black Screen / No Boot

Hello everybody,

I'm a new user I haven't found a "introduce yourself" area so I'll jump posting my first thread / question, maybe some good soul can direct me to the right direction

The story is a bit long but bear with me because these details might be helpful to isolate the problem. Thanks in advance for your patience

Back in August I've got my first Amiga 1200 and all was working fine. I then ordered a IDE-to-CF adapter, CF card and a Blizzard 1230 IV 50 MHZ from eBay. I struggled a little bit to boot from the CF card but eventually all went well. The Blizzard looked like brand new, in perfect conditions, and it worked straight away at first attempt, wonderful!

One morning I forgot a videogame running for several hours (maybe 4). When I realised it I took the keyboard (the Amiga case was open and the keyboard flipped backwards) and pushed F10 to close the game. The screen went crazy and all froze.

I took again the keyboard and tried to reset the computer with the usual combination but nothing happened - I suspect that pulling the keyboard the CF card adapter touched either the shield or the motherboard and the CF card started LITERALLY frying and bubbling - a strong smell of molten plastic came out from the computer so I unplugged the PSU straight away. The CF card and adapter burned my skin when I touched them.

Nothing worked anymore: the machine would not power on anymore
I thought the motherboard (Rev 1A with 3.0 Roms) was plain death. No HDD led, no FD led, no FD clicking, nothing about nothing, just silent. So I unplugged everything (including the Blizzard) and stored the whole thing into a box

After about 2 weeks I ordered a motherboard off eBay (Rev 2B with 3.1 roms) and when it arrived, before proceeding with the replacement, I thought to turn the Amiga on with the original motherboard Rev 1A and, to my surprise, the computer was working fine, loading from it's original IDE HDD & from the Floppy Disks so the mobo was actually safe.

For some other reasons (bent IDE pins) I decided to still replace the mobo with the new Rev 2B / 3.1 ROMs. All worked fine, no problem at all, but when I plugged the Blizzard 1230 nothing happened - just black screen. I've tried any sort of troubleshooting after reading all the Amiga forums in the universe: cleaning the connectors, fitting the card half way, making sure the shielding was not touching the card, nothing happens: the machine won't do any sort of boot, the HDD and floppy are just silent with the card inserted, and no resets or other combination of keys seem to help at all.

I read somewhere that the PSU might be a problem, however I'm using an A500 PSU so that should be enough - in fact I used it for several days without any problem of any sort. I've also tried to disconnect everything inside the machine at no avail. I've tried to connect it again to the old Rev 1A plain motherboard (without any other device connected) and it does the same thing: black screen. I've also tried to remove the SIMM and the CPU, different jumper combinations, at no avail. I can't get any sort of boot / boot menu in any case.

Do you folks think the card is totally fried? Are there any components on the board that can be replaced and that might resurrect the accelerator, or should I start saving up cash to buy an ACA or similar?

I will post pictures if they can be of any help. Please apologise for the lenght of this post and thanks in advance for any tip you guys might be able to provide.

Old 17 September 2013, 00:31   #2
roy bates

are you sure its not your power supply? you could of overloaded it and its dead.even if it is a 500 unit its not emune to overloads remember its older than the 1200 and you did short out the 5 volt rail and most of the electronics in these machines is 5 volt.

try a different power supply with nothing connected to the motherboard even the old motherboard that you think is dead(simpley because it looks like its doing the same as the replacement),but dont try it with the blizzard installed,yet.
Old 17 September 2013, 09:24   #3
Risteard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
are you sure its not your power supply? you could of overloaded it and its dead.even if it is a 500 unit its not emune to overloads remember its older than the 1200 and you did short out the 5 volt rail and most of the electronics in these machines is 5 volt.

try a different power supply with nothing connected to the motherboard even the old motherboard that you think is dead(simpley because it looks like its doing the same as the replacement),but dont try it with the blizzard installed,yet.

Hello Roy,

thank you for your reply.

My impression (could be wrong) is that the PSU is still OK because both mobos (the old 1A and the "new" 2B) are both booting up fine without fitting the accelerator in the slot.

I have tried the old motheboard 1A without anything connected and it boots fine without the accelerator connected (it shows the insert disk screen), but if I connect the accelerator, it gives a plain black screen again....

but if you mean that the PSU could have been subject to overload and got ruined by the short experienced, and for this reason it's not giving enough power for the accelerator, then I will try to get a new PSU, even though I would have thought that in this case it would not work at all (but it's actually powering my Amiga 1200 for several hours without showing any issue.)

I've also tried the card without CPU (thinking it would ra

In this case which PSU would you suggest? A regular working A500 PSU, or anything else?

Thank you very much for your help.

Old 17 September 2013, 11:31   #4
roy bates

see if you can get another 500 psu then do that ,although i cant say its not the blizzard.

ive never tried a card without the cpu,i dont think it would boot anyway.
Old 26 September 2013, 03:57   #5
o0Nosferatu0o

Blizzard 1230

Hi , i've had a similar problem like yours. My A1200 was not powered for 6 months and when i powered it on with my Blizzard 1230 IV , my screen was black.

Without the card, my Rev 1D1 booted without a problem.
The problem with mine was that Blizzard's crystal that went bust.

A friend of mine desoldered it , mounted a socket and new 50mhz crystal was installed , all is working without a problem.

I hope this helps,
Regards,
Pedro Torres