English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 September 2013, 05:51   #1
Zippy Zapp

Escom Amiga 1200 Floppy drive test

Hi,

I recently acquired an Amiga Technologies A1200HD. I understand that some models have been modified on the motherboard to allow for the PC type floppy. My drive is a Panasonic model.

I did not take it apart and check on the underside of the motherboard to see if there is a wire going from two pins on the floppy header.

Is there a way to test it in software? Some people mentioned X-Copy but I am not sure which part doesn't work or what I should try in X-Copy.

I converted a game that I own, but can't find, from ADF called overlord (Supremecy in UK) It loads very fast and seems to be trackloading but not sure. It seems to load fine on the AT1200. It shows up in WB as NDOS.

I don't want to take it apart if I don't have to. Perhaps the previous owner fixed it, not sure.

What in X-Copy doesn't work? How do I test to see if my drive/1200 is the modified one from escom?

Thanks!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 September 2013, 06:16   #2
Sandro
Banned

I had an escom A1200 for a few time so I do not remember very well those floppy issues
anyways
I remember some games not worked from floppy,I remember the game troddlers not worked..try it, however lemmings worked fine
and x-xopy sometimes works sometimes fails to load or duplicate...depending of the game
Old 21 September 2013, 06:26   #3
Zippy Zapp

troddlers, never heard of it but I will give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Is there a mode specifically in X-Copy?

Also is there a version of X-Copy that works without relokick? I get graphic garbage when I try to load 5.21 from WB 3.1.
Old 21 September 2013, 06:38   #4
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
troddlers, never heard of it but I will give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Is there a mode specifically in X-Copy?

Also is there a version of X-Copy that works without relokick? I get graphic garbage when I try to load 5.21 from WB 3.1.

try these ones
copy wbkillaga to c dir first
Attached Files
File Type: lha xcopy.lha (111.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 21 September 2013, 07:14   #5
Zippy Zapp

I'll give it a shot. Thanks, Sandro.
Old 21 September 2013, 07:31   #6
ptyerman

There is also this that can be purchased: http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/de...daptor_v2.html
It is a floppy adaptor that plugs into the rear of PC floppy drives and allows them to be used on the Amiga. It also works on Escom Amiga 1200's, I have one myself but I haven't got round to fitting it yet.
Old 21 September 2013, 20:39   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

This demo should have a tricky track loader which should not work on faulty AT A1200s:
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=1477

Write the ADF to disk and if it works, no modifications should be necessary. My AT A1200 does not have the 'faulty' drive despite being a Panasonic drive so it seems to run everything as a C= model. Also, there is no wire on the bottom of the MB.
Old 22 September 2013, 00:22   #8
Zippy Zapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
This demo should have a tricky track loader which should not work on faulty AT A1200s:

Write the ADF to disk and if it works, no modifications should be necessary. My AT A1200 does not have the 'faulty' drive despite being a Panasonic drive so it seems to run everything as a C= model. Also, there is no wire on the bottom of the MB.
Ok, I will try it out. Thanks for the tip!
Old 22 September 2013, 05:26   #9
Zippy Zapp

Quote:
Hi demolition, Do you have another source for that demo or the name of the disk/demo? My security and browser is blocking that site for malicious infections.

Thanks!
Old 22 September 2013, 08:36   #10
Jope
-

http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/releas...=279#downloads
Old 24 September 2013, 00:51   #11
Zippy Zapp

Ok that one partially works.

Sanity Arte demo. It loads fine and goes through the first few segments but it freezes on I think the last segment. I don't know if it is from my drive or the fact that I have a NTSC 1200. I tried switching it to PAL mode in early startup but as soon as the disk starts it reverts to NTSC.

Any suggestions on an NTSC demo/game that does not work on AT 1200? I am trying so hard to not open the case and remove the motherboard to check it.

Thanks!
Old 24 September 2013, 06:44   #12
Jope
-

Arte will hang at a blank screen if the index signal is missing.

Out of curiosity, did you select NTSC mode by keypress or radio button? The keypress only affects the early startup menu, the radio button affects the frequency the machine will boot in.
Old 24 September 2013, 07:03   #13
Zippy Zapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Arte will hang at a blank screen if the index signal is missing.
So if this is the case does that imply modified MB and Drive? Or can it be caused by not being in PAL mode? I ask that as I have a couple of demos that will not even run in NTSC mode as they are somehow coded to take advantage of PAL.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, did you select NTSC mode by keypress or radio button? The keypress only affects the early startup menu, the radio button affects the frequency the machine will boot in.
I selected PAL from the Display options menu and chose USE. But it still seemed to be in NTSC mode once the demo started. I could tell by the speed fluctuations and the cutoff portion of the screen. I compared it to my PAL C=1200 and the difference is clear. But it does load most of the demo and indeed the drive activity light does stay on for most of it, if I recall.

Thanks.
Old 24 September 2013, 14:43   #14
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
So if this is the case does that imply modified MB and Drive? Or can it be caused by not being in PAL mode?
Well based on what I know, it would mean that something provides an index signal as the trackloader in the demo is happy.

Quote:
I ask that as I have a couple of demos that will not even run in NTSC mode as they are somehow coded to take advantage of PAL.
PAL has more raster time to use per frame due to the frame size + refresh rate. Most good demos use up all the time there is. :-)
AdSense AdSense