English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 September 2013, 11:32   #1
trydowave

How do I back up my A1200 CF hdd?

Hi. I think my workbench got corrupted when I changed my A1200s roms from 3.0 to 3.1. Dopus no longer works for example even on repeat install.

I want to back up the entire cf flash included all my files and whdload games. Can I simply plug the card into the pc and back it up in a folder? or do I have to make an image in winuae?

I would prefer the quickest and simplest option.

Thanks
Tony
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 September 2013, 12:23   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
http://eab.abime.net/support-hardwar...ga-cf-s-d.html
Old 08 September 2013, 12:43   #3
Viserion

Depends on how you have installed it in the first place.

Do you have everything in 1 partition, or have you separate partitions for games, programs etc.

In the first case Winuae option is IMO the easiest.

After copying the image, boot a fresh working image as DH0, then the faulty one.

THe boot partition on CF card should now be DH0_0: , so just copy over what you need on to the DH0.

Then reformat CF, and copy back.

If second option with several partitions, add a hdf with fresh installed system. Then add the CF card.

Again CF card should be DH0_0, so format that after copying anything on the CF booth partition you want to keep to one of the other partitions.

After formating the CF DH0_0 partition, use dopus to copy from DH0(hdf) to DH0_0(CF card).

If you need more instructions/or anything is unclear please give more detail on size CF, Version of OS, Number of partitions and their size, using ClassicWB or other setups.

Copying from CF, after booting it via Winuae, to the pc is possible, but I think you could have problems with file rights when copying the back.

I have seen warnings about unzipping Whdload games in windows. Not sure if it applies to games already unzipped.
Old 09 September 2013, 17:37   #4
trydowave

Ok. Ive backed up the CF using Winimage and I restored it to a completely different unformatted 4gb cf card and it booted as normal.
Im now going to try and install OS3.9 onto it in Winuae as I don't have a cd drive on my A1200.
Questions:
Is it a hard job installing this newer os?
Can the ACA1232 handle os3.9?
Can I copy all files including my files, apps and whdload games into the new hdd without any probs or does everything need reinstalling?
Any other 'must have' apps to get. I have an internet card so i'm going to need software to get online.

Cheers in advance.

I have an A1200 3.1 with an
ACA1232 128mb accelerator
Old 09 September 2013, 19:59   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Yes the ACA1232 is perfectly fine for OS3.9, I'm using it with [ Show youtube player ]

I highly recommend PeterK's icon library as this really speeds up the Icon drawing and you can view all types of Icons like OS4 style. (As you can see I have replaced all the Icons in my installation)

There is a guide you can read here for installing OS3.9 via WinUAE

I'd also recommend upgrading to Classic Workbench OS3.9 this should also be done via WinUAE but you must install the Boing Bag updates 1 & 2 first.

That should keep you busy for now!
Old 09 September 2013, 20:44   #6
Viserion

No it's not hard to install os3.9.

Setup Winuae as close to your real Amiga as possible.

Make a ISO of the CD, so you can mount it under Harddrive. Enable "CDFS automount CD/DVD drives" Then Select image file, add also a hardfile where you install Os 3.9 on. This is a lot faster than installing directly from CD.

Recommending making a hdf file of your current CF.

Press add harddrive, select your cf card with old system and press create harddrive image file. You can then install to the hdf first, and copy to CF, so you don't have to do this again.

SFS or PSF3 is recommended file formats to use to formating CF, and also having several partitions. This way, should you make a mistake, reformat the boot partition, and all your games etc. will still be there.

When booting the cd you can see that there is a icon to make a boot disk.

Make a boot disk to an adf file, and add that to DF0, so you boot from the floppy.

Make another adf file in DF1, and copy SFS and SmartFileSystem. Only these 2 are needed.

To format CF open the Emergency boot disk, select tools, and open HdToolbox.

Choose uaehf.device (driver to use), you should now see your CF card. If new, you may have to initialize the card. Do so, if not go to partitioning drive.

Go to 'add/update' and 'add new file system' and select SmartFileSystem.

Select 'change' and change the 'filesystem' to SFS.

IMPORTANT: make sure mask is 0x7FFFFFFFE(this is default in my system), and change Maxtransfer is 0x1FE00. Block size should be 512.

Now you can add new partition(may need to delete partition(data will be lost if you do). Name the first one DH0, and make sure to enable 'Bootable'. Any other partitions you make doesn't need bootable, but the rest is the same.

Reboot, and then you can install os 3.9.

Remember to update with Boing bag 1 & 2.

Recommend installing ClassicWB as well as you get most of the tools you need.

You need to update boing bag 1 & 2 for that. There is also 3 &4, but they are unofficial, and there is some compatibility problems with ClassicWB.

IIRC do not update rom when installer ask for it when installing boing bag 2, at least when doing so via Winuae. I think I had some issues when doing that, but it's been a while so I don't remember.

When finished. Boot with the hardfile, and add the CF. Use dopus to copy from hdf (dh0) to CF (DH0_0).

Whdload games should work fine with copying. Other apps is anyones guess. Some will work some probably won't.

Tried to cover most steps here. Not sure how experienced you are, so feel free to ignore parts if you know what you are doing. Tried to make usable guide with out getting into too much detail. It probably need a bit of polish as I started with one section, remembered others, and jumped a bit back and forth. It's a bad habit I have.
Old 10 September 2013, 06:19   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viserion View Post
IMPORTANT: make sure mask is 0x7FFFFFFFE(this is default in my system)
That should probably be 0x7ffffffe (6 f's) as the total mask cannot be more than 8 digits.
Old 10 September 2013, 16:39   #8
Viserion

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
That should probably be 0x7ffffffe (6 f's) as the total mask cannot be more than 8 digits.
You are correct, it should be 6 f's. My mistake.
Old 22 September 2013, 22:06   #9
trydowave

Even though I've owned Amigas since 1992 my knowledge of setting up hdds on them is minimal to say the least. I'm getting stuck right at the beginning of your guide. I've plugged in my 4gb flash drive and I can see my original A1200 set up. I can also see the OS3.9 iso on the desktop. When I go into HDtools the drive comes back as unknown and all the options are greyed out. Any idea what I should do next?

Cheers
Tony

Quote:
No it's not hard to install os3.9.

Setup Winuae as close to your real Amiga as possible.

Make a ISO of the CD, so you can mount it under Harddrive. Enable "CDFS automount CD/DVD drives" Then Select image file, add also a hardfile where you install Os 3.9 on. This is a lot faster than installing directly from CD.

Recommending making a hdf file of your current CF.

Press add harddrive, select your cf card with old system and press create harddrive image file. You can then install to the hdf first, and copy to CF, so you don't have to do this again.

SFS or PSF3 is recommended file formats to use to formating CF, and also having several partitions. This way, should you make a mistake, reformat the boot partition, and all your games etc. will still be there.

When booting the cd you can see that there is a icon to make a boot disk.

Make a boot disk to an adf file, and add that to DF0, so you boot from the floppy.

Make another adf file in DF1, and copy SFS and SmartFileSystem. Only these 2 are needed.

To format CF open the Emergency boot disk, select tools, and open HdToolbox.

Choose uaehf.device (driver to use), you should now see your CF card. If new, you may have to initialize the card. Do so, if not go to partitioning drive.

Go to 'add/update' and 'add new file system' and select SmartFileSystem.

Select 'change' and change the 'filesystem' to SFS.

IMPORTANT: make sure mask is 0x7FFFFFFFE(this is default in my system), and change Maxtransfer is 0x1FE00. Block size should be 512.

Now you can add new partition(may need to delete partition(data will be lost if you do). Name the first one DH0, and make sure to enable 'Bootable'. Any other partitions you make doesn't need bootable, but the rest is the same.

Reboot, and then you can install os 3.9.

Remember to update with Boing bag 1 & 2.

Recommend installing ClassicWB as well as you get most of the tools you need.

You need to update boing bag 1 & 2 for that. There is also 3 &4, but they are unofficial, and there is some compatibility problems with ClassicWB.

IIRC do not update rom when installer ask for it when installing boing bag 2, at least when doing so via Winuae. I think I had some issues when doing that, but it's been a while so I don't remember.

When finished. Boot with the hardfile, and add the CF. Use dopus to copy from hdf (dh0) to CF (DH0_0).

Whdload games should work fine with copying. Other apps is anyones guess. Some will work some probably won't.

Tried to cover most steps here. Not sure how experienced you are, so feel free to ignore parts if you know what you are doing. Tried to make usable guide with out getting into too much detail. It probably need a bit of polish as I started with one section, remembered others, and jumped a bit back and forth. It's a bad habit I have.

Last edited by trydowave; 22 September 2013 at 22:48.
Old 22 September 2013, 23:10   #10
Viserion

When you add the CF under Harddrives in Winuae, does it say RDB before the name of the card?

If not, open Hdtoolbox and try to initialize it. You will loose data if you try this.

Try making a backup using the method by creating a hdf file. That way you hopefully will be able to copy your data over to the CF when finishing installing the OS.

No idea if it's possible to use a image created with Winimage, as I have never tried.

It might be a better idea to start all over again.
Old 22 September 2013, 23:42   #11
trydowave

Hi I will try the things you suggested. The CF is fully backed up. I used a program called Winimage, so it dosent matter if I loose data when installing OS3.9. I have it partitioned so I would like to copy the new os to the system partition.

EDIT. It doesn't say RDB next to the drive. When I open HDtool box all options to format etc are greyed out? Shall I format my main C drive which I've called workbench. (I have 2 other partitions on the flash drive, Misc and Games. It doesn't matter if I wipe all this as I have an image of the amigas hdd saved to my pc.

Cheers

Quote:
When you add the CF under Harddrives in Winuae, does it say RDB before the name of the card?

If not, open Hdtoolbox and try to initialize it. You will loose data if you try this.

Try making a backup using the method by creating a hdf file. That way you hopefully will be able to copy your data over to the CF when finishing installing the OS.

No idea if it's possible to use a image created with Winimage, as I have never tried.

It might be a better idea to start all over again.

Last edited by trydowave; 25 September 2013 at 12:54.
AdSense AdSense