English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 May 2017, 12:40   #1
RetroPaul

Furia A600 Accelerator issue, Workbench hang

Im trying to get a Furia acclerator working properly with my A600, Im using a 3.1 ROM, 1mb A604n and a Sandisk Extreme 4GB with a WB 3.1 install.
Without the Furia installed it boots to WB with no issues, Once the Furia is installed it boots up WB but then hangs after a few seconds. I did some googling and other have reported a just getting a black screen, this seems to usually be related to the Furia not being seated correctly or CF brand incompatabilities.

I have cleaned the 68000 chip legs and even after multiple re-seats i get the same behaviour every time, The Sandisk Extreme seems to be the suggested CF to use with the Furia. The A600 hasnt been re-capped as yet but the caps look in good order from what i can see, its on the to-do list anyway.

Just wondering if anyone on here has had the same issues or any other suggestions of what to try to get it up and running properly?
Old 15 May 2017, 14:40   #2
EzdineG

I had the same issue, although some times it wouldn't even make it to Workbench as it would crash while loading it. I have an Indivision ECS attached to my a604n.

I resolved my issue by tying a ground wire from the Furia's plane and the Indivision ECS to the motherboard. Specifically, the screw hole the floppy drive attaches to.

No problems since.
Old 15 May 2017, 17:19   #3
RetroPaul

Thanks for the tip, i just connected one of the mounting holes on the Furia to the floppy drive screw hole as suggested and it does seem to have made a difference, it now hangs after around 30 seconds. Where exactly on the Furia did you connect your ground wire to?
Old 16 May 2017, 01:50   #4
EzdineG

Furia A600 Accelerator issue, Workbench hang

The bottom right hole, as installed. I had previously also had a bit of pre-Furia instability with the a620n, but resolved that by taking an eraser head to the A600 slot. You might want to try the same with the processor socket.

Also note that the Furia is very picky about compact flash cards. Try booting from a 3.1 floppy to see if you still have issues.
Old 16 May 2017, 14:15   #5
RetroPaul

Thanks, i tied the earth strap to the same point. Ill try a general clean of the socket as you suggested.
Ill also try booting from a floppy, my A600 drive doesnt work so ill see if i can find my spare Gotek.
Old 24 May 2017, 23:27   #6
RetroPaul

Finally had time to have another look at this issue, attempting to follow the advice above I swapped my faulty floppy drive with an old working Chinon drive, before I even managed to dig out some Workbench floppies to test it now appears to work fine, it's been running with no hangs for 10+ minutes and I've even managed to launch a few Whdload games, so fingers crossed its now OK. I still can't really understand why a faulty floppy drive would have caused WB to consistently hang after ~40 secs..

Last edited by RetroPaul; 24 May 2017 at 23:38.
Old 25 May 2017, 02:21   #7
EzdineG

Glad to hear you got it sorted!