English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 18 October 2023, 11:35   #521
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
And that is?
That people take things way too serious. Aaardvark had a valid point on the last page, but it seems that's not what this 'discussion' is about. More about egos being hurt.
Old 18 October 2023, 11:39   #522
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One View Post
You surely have a problem with it, otherwise we wouldnt discuss this every time. And yes I understand, you want to be asked before, but what would your anwer be in this case ? "SURE, do a trainer, I would love to see that!".
I honestly don't believe it!
Of course I'd do.
I hereby invite you to create a trainer with a "cracktro" for Krogharr, that we will put on the itch.io page as well as the other versions.

All I ever wanted is to get asked and be a bit involved in it.
How hard is that to understand?

PS: I am of course not talking for Richard here, this is just my stance on this.
Old 18 October 2023, 11:40   #523
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
There's another thread 'Why is the homebrew scene on the Amiga not as impressive...' and I can't shake the feeling that the answer is somehow related to how this thread derailed.
True. Trashing this thread with offensive accusations does not help anyone, and is not fun to read either.

Please Alpha One, Tigerskunk: Why not take your time, stop posting, self-reflect, and draw some life-changing conclusions?

But please guys, calm down. It's only a game.
Old 18 October 2023, 11:41   #524
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
True. Trashing this thread with offensive accusations does not help anyone, and is not fun to read either.

Please Alpha One, Tigerskunk: Why not take your time, stop posting, self-reflect, and draw some life-changing conclusions?

But please guys, calm down. It's only a game.
Old 18 October 2023, 11:42   #525
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
That people take things way too serious.
Well, work for 4 years on something for the scene like Richard did here, and then come again and comment, I guess.

Yes, you get some euros for it, but in comparison what I earn in my regular job as a software dev it's laughable.

Every Amiga game created these days is a work of love and takes literally a thousand hours (especially when done with a custom engine) to finish.
Old 18 October 2023, 11:47   #526
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Well, work for 4 years on something for the scene like Richard did here, and then come again and comment, I guess.
I think I can claim that I spend enough time for the 'scene' that I can comment on this topic Richard just showed that you don't need to take everything personally. Believe me that I wouldn't be around if I did.
Old 18 October 2023, 11:51   #527
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
I think I can claim that I spend enough time for the 'scene' that I can comment on this topic
What did you do?

edit/add: anyway, my invitation for Alpha One stands. If he wants, he can contact me and work on a trainer plus intro for Krogharr.
Other than that, I will leave it at that now.
Old 18 October 2023, 12:07   #528
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
What did you do?
I'm still doing it I've spent way too much time processing contributions for HOL.
Old 18 October 2023, 12:09   #529
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
I'm still doing it I've spent way too much time processing contributions for HOL.
Oh wow.
Old 18 October 2023, 12:27   #530
vroom6sri

@buzzybee is there any chance of a revised version of the game following my earlier comments:

"I would welcome something that lets you start from any of the levels you have reached so far. Seeing as you seem to start off on a new level (still only made it to Level 2 so far!) with base speed and [base] weapon power this seems like a good idea for players like me who are of limited time and talent but want to progress bit by bit through a stunning looking and fun game. Perhaps if there was an option to do that but your high scores wouldn't be saved. That feels like you have earned the progress, you can practice those levels you have reached to then give it a marathon go from the start (with high score saves enabled if starting from level 1)."

Would also be cool to be able to jump to your favourite (so far) level to have a quick blast.

Last edited by vroom6sri; 18 October 2023 at 16:53.
Old 18 October 2023, 17:52   #531
viddi

I don´t see any disrespectfulness in creating a trainer.

A trainer can´t destroy the hard work people put into new software.
That´s a bizarre point of view imo.

Funnily enough, I´m using this very trainer because you can´t restart from level 2.
That´s a design flaw in my opinion, but I didn´t moan about it until this discussion.
Old 18 October 2023, 20:13   #532
Alpha One

Imho Reshoot is not that big that you need something like level passwords or something, but perhaps some credits to restart from last level 2 or 3 times. If I remember playing games like Turrican 2 in the past where you died after about 80 minutes of playing and then begin from scratch is hard and exhausting sometimes but those were the days. :-)
Old 18 October 2023, 23:10   #533
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi View Post
Funnily enough, I´m using this very trainer because you can´t restart from level 2.
That´s a design flaw in my opinion, but I didn´t moan about it until this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One View Post
Imho Reshoot is not that big that you need something like level passwords or something, but perhaps some credits to restart from last level 2 or 3 times. If I remember playing games like Turrican 2 in the past where you died after about 80 minutes of playing and then begin from scratch is hard and exhausting sometimes but those were the days. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post
@buzzybee is there any chance of a revised version of the game following my earlier comments:

"I would welcome something that lets you start from any of the levels you have reached so far. Seeing as you seem to start off on a new level (still only made it to Level 2 so far!) with base speed and [base] weapon power this seems like a good idea for players like me who are of limited time and talent but want to progress bit by bit through a stunning looking and fun game. Perhaps if there was an option to do that but your high scores wouldn't be saved. That feels like you have earned the progress, you can practice those levels you have reached to then give it a marathon go from the start (with high score saves enabled if starting from level 1)."

Would also be cool to be able to jump to your favourite (so far) level to have a quick blast.
Now this is all your lucky day, and also proof that I should have put more thought into the GUI / overestimated how many people actually read the manual. Because your proposals have already been implemented, sort of. There is a Continue-Option from stage 3 (not stage 2 - design flaw, really, viddi?) onwards, as described in the manual. Holding the fire button after a fatal death blow immediately restarts the very stage that you died. The score is reset if you trigger Continue. So most probably no highscore entry if Continue=triggered, but immediate practicing fun to be had on the current stage. I am pretty positive all of you will get to stage 3 easily soon and will be heroes, given some practice.

There will be no stage select screen ever, because - just like a witless trainer stage select option - that'd destroy the arcade action roots of the game. Learning curve, gameplay mechanics, attack waves, and storytelling moments: All of these elements are carefully implemented to be experienced in a linear fashion. They do not provide full immersion if experienced non-linear. The game then would suffer.

Last edited by buzzybee; 18 October 2023 at 23:33.
Old 19 October 2023, 01:09   #534
viddi

Stage 2 is harder than the third one.
At least for me.

Anyway, great game...with or without cheating...
Old 20 October 2023, 10:19   #535
vroom6sri

Quote:
Now this is all your lucky day, and also proof that I should have put more thought into the GUI / overestimated how many people actually read the manual. Because your proposals have already been implemented, sort of. There is a Continue-Option from stage 3 (not stage 2 - design flaw, really, viddi?) onwards, as described in the manual. Holding the fire button after a fatal death blow immediately restarts the very stage that you died. The score is reset if you trigger Continue. So most probably no highscore entry if Continue=triggered, but immediate practicing fun to be had on the current stage. I am pretty positive all of you will get to stage 3 easily soon and will be heroes, given some practice.

There will be no stage select screen ever, because - just like a witless trainer stage select option - that'd destroy the arcade action roots of the game. Learning curve, gameplay mechanics, attack waves, and storytelling moments: All of these elements are carefully implemented to be experienced in a linear fashion. They do not provide full immersion if experienced non-linear. The game then would suffer.
I do see where you're coming from and I really appreciate your efforts and dedication to creating these amazing games for us but... for me, seeming to have so little free time, I can imagine myself just putting the game to one side after maybe only making it as far as Level 3 (if I'm lucky). The option to do a quick restart from there isn't that helpful for me as it may take my all of my spare 20-30 minutes just to get to that level.

Regarding it destroying the story telling side I would have to disagree - you start each level off with base weapon and base speed so being able to select a starting level (of one you have reached through normal, full play) to me is like picking up the book you are reading and restarting where you left off. It supports the story telling in my mind. To continue the book analogy and to repeat my earlier thoughts I could image this is sadly one book I might not ever finish reading.

I appreciate this may sound ungrateful and it's really not meant to but please could you reconsider adding an option that would allow us to select our (previously reached) level? As I said before that mode could exclude you from being able to log a high score and I think would encourage people to play the game all the way through once they have got to grips with each level so as to get that full immersion you refer to.

How about if there was a patch for level select that owners of the game could download IF they want that feature? So the owner of the game can decide.

Again I don't want to sound ungrateful and I do appreciate your creations.
Old 21 October 2023, 22:43   #536
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post
To continue the book analogy and to repeat my earlier thoughts I could image this is sadly one book I might not ever finish reading.

Again I don't want to sound ungrateful and I do appreciate your creations.
Thank you for your kind comment. I am pretty positive that you will "finish this book" so to speak. I get considerable feedback from people who have playthroughed RP3 by now, much more so than its predecessor RESHOOT R.

By the way, I just accidentally watched a video of "Blood Money". The video reminded me that a stage-select screen does not make a great game, au contraire.

Last edited by buzzybee; 22 October 2023 at 00:16.
Old 22 October 2023, 00:25   #537
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

For me, the creator of the game is the one who owns " the way it's meant to be played"
Old 23 October 2023, 16:06   #538
DanyPPC

New update to WHDLoad installer by Wepl, version 1.2

https://www.whdload.de/games/ReshootProxima3.html
Old 24 October 2023, 12:38   #539
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
By the way, I just accidentally watched a video of "Blood Money". The video reminded me that a stage-select screen does not make a great game, au contraire.
On the other hand, Pulstar's level select of the first 4 stages (of 8) was quite nice.
Old 24 October 2023, 17:02   #540
sokolovic

Played it this afternoon. The game is very well balanced. No need for a trainer IMHO.
One point sure for those who wants to make hiscore, using the continue after stage 3 delete your current score. If you have reached more than 3 millions points, I suggest not to use the continue if you want to break the HS table.
Clever move, because you have to make a choice.

I also love the small detail of the multiplier slowly fading if you don't it anybody within 2 seconds.

Really a great game.