English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 May 2011, 16:05   #1
tygre
Returning fan!

Overheating Gayle

Dear all!

My Classic Amiga was working fine until the other when, after one reboot, Miami started to complain about "cistpl_conf_map tuple not found". I found on the Internet that this error occurs when either Gayle or the PCMCIA card have problems

The weird thing is... after some time spent switched off and some tinkering with the PCMCIA card (remove, insert), my computer now works fine... My question is then: can Gayle overheat or something? I am attempting to use my Classic Amiga as a Web server so I leave it on for days, is it too much?

Please advise! Is there anything I can do to help my Amiga withstand the heat
Yann
Old 11 May 2011, 16:18   #2
pandy71

use cooler in spray and cool gayle - if this overheating issue after cooling gayle, all should be fine - i doubt that this is gayle overheating issue however if this occurs, firstly reason of overheating must be discovered
Old 12 May 2011, 00:31   #3
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
use cooler in spray and cool gayle - if this overheating issue after cooling gayle, all should be fine - i doubt that this is gayle overheating issue however if this occurs, firstly reason of overheating must be discovered
The designers for the Amiga didn't necessarily consider how long the machine should be left on, if Gayle is overheating get some double sided heat transfer tape and a low profile heatsink if you intend to leave the machine for days at a stretch. Like Pandy71 says, discover whether it really is Gayle overheating or whether your PCMCIA port is causing issues.
Old 12 May 2011, 06:23   #4
Hewitson

I've had this problem in the past, I believe I fixed it by adding a piece of software called CardReset to my user-startup.
Old 12 May 2011, 19:02   #5
tygre
Returning fan!

Dear all!

Thanks for your suggestions! Hewitson, I was using BlizKick with both the CardReset and DOSCardReset modules... I say I was because it seems that my Gayle died yesterday

I removed the PCMCIA card to boot my Amiga without it and then received an error stating something like "SHD0 Errors - Waiting for disk activity" and the whole computer is frozen... (SHD0 is the name of my bootable partition.) This error probably means that Gayle fried because it control the IDE too, right?

I will investigate the problem more but now my question becomes... How can I replace Gayle?

Take care!
Yann

Last edited by tygre; 12 May 2011 at 19:37.
Old 12 May 2011, 20:03   #6
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
You can replace Gayle if you have enough soldering skills and a replacement chip.

But how about checking your HD first on another machine or even on pc (connected to internal or via an external USB case)? Fire up WinUAE & add the HD to make sure all the partitions are working.
Old 13 May 2011, 03:53   #7
tygre
Returning fan!

Dear Rkauer!

Thanks for your advice, I will test my hard-drive before doing anything but out of curiosity I looked for replacements for Gayle and could not find none! Any idea, if it comes to that, where I could find a "spare" Gayle? (I believe that I have the soldering skills ...)

Take care!
Yann
Old 13 May 2011, 04:19   #8
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
They are usually reclaimed chips from busted boards.

IIRC, I have one floating around, but I'm saving it to try to fix one A1200 board (was fried by a defective CF on the PCMCIA port).
Old 14 May 2011, 16:02   #9
tygre
Returning fan!

Dear Rkauer!

You were right after some hours of fun, I managed to find out that it is my hard disk that does not work anymore and I am now attempting to install a new one while salvaging as much as possible... Good thing that WinUAE came along: I have anyways a whole backup on my PC

I'll keep you posted!
Thanks for the great advice!
Yann
Old 16 May 2011, 05:04   #10
tygre
Returning fan!

Dear Rkauer!

After more investigation, it seems that my dear Gayle was not so hurt but that my 2.5" hard disk really died. I managed to reinstall my system on an old spare hard disk and it is up and running again

I think that Gayle or something else got hurt though: I used to use BlizKick and its two modules ColdResetCard and DosResetCard to reset my PCMCIA network card but, since the crash, these two modules cause BlizKick to fail with returncode 10

Fortunately, I found out two replacements commands, CardPatch and CardReset, that do the same things and work well!

I will no go on replacing this old spare hard disk with something more stable and recent, maybe one of these CF hard disks...

Take care!
Yann