English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 March 2011, 19:38   #1
Vollldo

Where to but IMATION floppies disk plz ??

Hello everyone, i have a very simple question .

Last year i bougth 400 floppies Imation (neon colored) disks, 100% certified error-free at a german web seller. The price was very attractive, 0.99 euros for a box of 10. But unfortunatly, this seller don't have thse great and so reliable Imation disks in store now.

So... Do someone know a great and reliable seller in Europe where to find these disks ??? IN THE SAME RANGE OF PRICE (a little more expensive would be ok too). I mean : forget the boxes of 10 that cost 3 euros lol .

The Imation floppies are so reliable, i only found 4 floppies with a '8' error with xcopy on one or two tracks (on 400 disks !). I don't care the color, neon, black or everything else is nice too.

I need them to achieve my collection of amiga game . And i will post a list and photos after, maybe on a web page^^.

Thanks a lot for your help !

Old 01 March 2011, 21:37   #2
Mick

One Euro for 10 disks seems like a clearance price to me, that's probably why you can longer find them. Were they DS/DD disks or HD 1.44MB?

SMR Software sell brand new (black) DS/DD disks but they're North American based and it worked out at about £5-6 per 10 disks for me including delivery (I ordered 200 ) and I also got hit with import tax.

EDIT: Just want to add if anyone does order from them from outside of the US be sure to email them and get cheaper delivery prices (they will change it to USPS), otherwise their automated shop system calculates international postage as if parcels are being delivered personally to your door by the Discovery space shuttle.

Last edited by Mick; 01 March 2011 at 21:51.
Old 02 March 2011, 13:22   #3
Vollldo

Thanks Mick, it was HD 1.44 MB disks, highly reliable...
£5-6 per 10 disks is too expensive for me, i continue to look for a better price so...
But thanks a lot for ur help, i appreciate really much.
If someone knows an other seller, well my eyes and ears are wide opened .

Old 02 March 2011, 14:19   #4
Mick

No problem mate hopefully it will prove useful to anyone looking for the old DD/DS disks in the future.

There's still some sellers for Imation HD 1.44MB disks here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...K&linkCode=asm

The cheapest is 49p per 10 plus £5 P+P.

I was under the impression that HD 1.44MB disks were bad for Amiga's though, my EasyADF which was on one has corrupted already.

Last edited by Mick; 02 March 2011 at 14:27.
Old 02 March 2011, 18:44   #5
Vollldo

Yes Mick, many users have problems with HD disks but hopefully for me, my both A500 and A1200 LOVE HD disks . I transfered about 700 HD disks already, a huge collection. It is almost finished, i just have to buy some floppies a last time.

On the german site NIERLE there are some verbatim data life floppies 100% certified error-free but i know that imation are more reliable and last longer. I have imation old floppies (20 yearsold!!) and they are still perfect, where as the verbatim data life i found in my old collection were all corrupted. More over, the box of 10 costs about 4 euros. So i hesitate a lot to order these disks. I know one thing and only one thing for sure : the imation 100% certified are the perfect ones for me.

I continue to investigate and many thanks for your help !

Last edited by Vollldo; 02 March 2011 at 18:55.

Old 02 March 2011, 19:28   #6
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Hmm I seem to be ok with HD floppies aswell... Used them in a catweasal mk4, amiga's, pc's using ppera's floimg for atari st etc.

I find the ones that go bad are 3M Double Density. I had a massive pile of them way back in 1996-ish and nearly every single one had gone bad taking the data with them

Also its odd how if you hold one these HD disks up to a light with the silver dust flap open you can see right thru the magnetic media... but on an old DD disk you cant see jack sheet lol. You would think it would have been the other way around as HD drives spin slower dont they?

Fun and games. I tell you what else annoys me! Is there a permanent way to fill the second hole on these HD disks? I always have to use a bit of tape or something and it looks Fugly!
Old 02 March 2011, 20:03   #7
Jope
-

Kind of moot to compare the quality of HD floppies when they will not be written to perfectly by the Amiga's DD drive anyway. :-)
Old 02 March 2011, 21:38   #8
Vollldo

I found a great great french seller : otto-office

0.43 euros for a box of 10 verbatim disks . Perfect, in color and high quality !

He he he^^.

Maybe i have a good chance cause my both amigas 500 and 1200 works perfectly with HD disks. I never had one issue with HD disks, by the past and with the 700 last disks i transfered (all tested as much as i could, some with cheat codes).

Last edited by Vollldo; 02 March 2011 at 21:56.

Old 03 March 2011, 18:01   #9
orange

I was told that 'teflon coated' diskettes are reliable. but haven't noticed the difference myself.
Old 03 March 2011, 23:41   #10
Vollldo

Thanks orange, the verbatim datalife i ordered at otto-office are teflon coated . They are reliable, i read very good comments. I ordered 100 boxes he he!!

Old 03 April 2011, 19:25   #11
Vollldo

Damn the verbatim they AREN'T reliable, i sent back the disks, tired of '8' errors on 3 disks on 10 (((((((((((((((((((((((((((.

I looked in google and i found stores in UK that don't deliver in France. Is someone know a store in Germany, Italia, Spain (well a country near of France with no travels by plane needed) who propose good prices ?

Thanks a lot in advance...