English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 January 2005, 12:34   #1
keropi

Soon my PicassoII will arrive, how to install software?

I think that within the week, a PicassoII 2MB I got from e-bay will arrive... the question is: How do I install the software to use it? I'll plug it on the z2 bus and then just install picasso96 from the OS3.9 CD ??? will that be enough?
I hope I get a descent desktop res/depth with that card... and not dead-slow too...
Old 10 January 2005, 13:33   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yeah it's just a matter of installing picasso96. Job Done! Might want to get the latest version from wherever it is nowdays, the one on the cd might be a little outta date.
Old 10 January 2005, 13:49   #3
keropi

mmmmm..... latest update where from? It is free, right?
Old 10 January 2005, 13:50   #4
a_petri

You should check your S:Startup-Sequence and S:User-Startup for any extra programs/commodities that may not be compatible with PicassoII screens (disable them temporarily and enable them back one by one).

What you should NOT try at all is the installation of the software originally bundled with the PicassoII - it is very old, very buggy and you'd have to rid of it before installing Picasso96 anyway ;-)
Old 10 January 2005, 13:51   #5
thomas

http://picasso96.cogito.de

It is shareware. But the PicassoII comes with a license, so you don't need to pay again.
Old 10 January 2005, 14:10   #6
keropi

Actually nothing fancy exists on my startup sequence or wbstartup except the ata3.driver and the Cyberpatcher... since picassoII has a license, is it a hardware one or is there a key-file that I need?
Old 10 January 2005, 16:21   #7
thomas

There is no limitation, so you don't need a key or something.
Old 10 January 2005, 17:15   #8
Jope
-

Yeah, it's more of a conscience thing. :-)
Old 11 January 2005, 07:33   #9
keropi

ah, nice
Old 11 January 2005, 07:58   #10
MigNut
Long term Amiga user

Yep, I agree, just install Picasso96 like the guys say, it's pretty straightforward. After installation it's best to go to the Picasso prefs (I think the file is called 'Picasso96Mode') and tweak it for each screen mode to best suit your monitor, it has a 'Test' button so you can see improvments as you do it. Also, if my memory serves me right (which can't be guaranteed at my age.....) it asks for a freq (poss. horizontal) during installation, defaults to 35Khz I think, and that will flicker on most SVGA monitors, and most modern monitors can take a lot more, so crank that up to what your monitor specs can take (possibly 75 to 85) for a more stable image. it can be tweaked after installation of you prefer, using 'Picasso96Mode'.
Don't worry too much about apps that are not Gfx card friendly, if you launch them they'll just appear on the old AGA output.
ModePro is also worth installing as it can promote some of the AGA apps onto a Picasso screen, but some like Scala and ProGrab are AGA only I'm afraid, and no amount of ModePro-ing will make them think otherwise, they use specific AGA abilities.
One of the great things about the Picasso software is that it allows you to create your own screen modes from scratch, which is very useful, so you can ModePro an AGA app onto a Gfx card screen, but the app may have been designed to only work on say a 640 x 256 AGA screen, so will look odd and out of proportion on a Picasso default screen, but you can go into the Picasso software and create a 640 x 256 Picasso screen just for that app, then it will work seamlessly and still look 'right'.
This works for Infofile, GBroute etc. etc.

Have fun, I hope it goes well.
Old 11 January 2005, 16:12   #11
Jope
-

Also: read the fine manual carefully.. The P96Mode utiliity's UI conforms to no previously known standard. :-(

Lots of dragging and dropping bits from icons to lists, from lists to icons, from lists to lists. :-D

Once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy, but I wouldn't say that it's something that opens up immediately.
Old 11 January 2005, 22:28   #12
keropi

I wish it worked.... I made a prob thread...