English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Demos

Old 26 May 2016, 11:38   #1
AmigaLee

Floppy disk Desert Dreams

Another Amiga veteran awakes!

I noticed the version of Desert Dreams kicking about on the 'net which is slightly corrupt in the intro credits part "Design and Coding, Laxity, Zeus".

Having tested my own floppy copy I don't have this corruption. Is it worth uploading it somewhere?

Old 26 May 2016, 11:57   #2
Superman

I just tested the TOSEC copy are you are correct at the slight glitch. In light of this I would say yes it certainly is worth uploading.
Old 26 May 2016, 18:32   #3
AmigaLee

Cool. I'll do so when I get one of those Round Tuit's. Would someone be able to update the TOSEC version if it's deemed suitable?

Old 26 May 2016, 19:50   #4
mai

You all are using old TOSEC distribution then!
Meanwhile TOSEC(since releasec TOSEC-v2012-12-28) and exotica. org holds good dump too.
So new image is not needed, thanks anyway.

Last edited by mai; 26 May 2016 at 19:57.
Old 27 May 2016, 08:07   #5
AmigaLee

Okay

Old 29 October 2016, 01:10   #6
Vollldo

Quote:
You all are using old TOSEC distribution then!
That's a problem if you're not aware. A french site like "planetemu" (one of the maaany others online) used an out of date TOSEC set, and thus became an unreliable source.

Old 29 October 2016, 01:28   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vollldo View Post
That's a problem if you're not aware. A french site like "planetemu" (one of the maaany others online) used an out of date TOSEC set, and thus became an unreliable source.
After being AWOL for more than a "few" years, I suffered from the same issue

Hence why I made it my mission to get the EAB File Server updated with the latest TOSEC files; see this thread
Old 31 October 2016, 00:35   #8
Vollldo

Eh eh i know, and i appreciated to update my own floppy collection witht the recent updated, thanks a lot Damien !

Old 06 December 2016, 16:48   #9
ViLXDRYAD
Avocado lover

Idk if it is part of the corruption or if it is just a bad WinUAE setting BUT the whole part after the REVELATIONS text appears on the screen is gone for me http://ada.untergrund.net/?p=demo&i=60 i remember having seeing a white chainsaw thing back then which now just a black screen = c

also yea; i also notice there are some dots that might have not supposed to be there:

i downloaded the ADF one at exotica.org an it has the title fixed;

however, both have this kinda logic bug where the bullets go far through the spaceship before exploding lol i wonder if this was like that on the original release? or perhaps a bad WinUAE setting as i said earlier:

also both; the one at exotica.org here: http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=9479 and the one at Amiga Demoscene Archive also just has a black screen when after the REVELATIONS text appears on the screen for me, if yours has this fixed i would really appreciate if you could upload it if possible = ) it is not viable for me atm to download the entire TOSEC collection, also i can not believe how a demo this good could be so hard to find alright lol it was the first demo i ever could run using WinUAE time ago so i am fond to it, regards = 3
Old 06 December 2016, 17:23   #10
-Acid-

I find that glitch happens and on my A1200 and so does the missiles not being timed right at the start. I think this is more down to using a faster cpu though for the missiles. Can't say i've watched the demo on my A500 or A600 to compare.
Old 06 December 2016, 17:31   #11
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

I've watched this demo many times on A500 and I can confirm that's an issue on faster cpus.
Also if using UAE make sure to use A500 cycle-exact.
Old 06 December 2016, 20:45   #12
TTD

Send a message via MSN to TTD
What a classical demo, think also the remake to c64 is quite nice, and if you will have some fun parody of it try zymco on youtube that is so funny
Old 06 December 2016, 21:26   #13
ViLXDRYAD
Avocado lover

I just tried that and indeed, i can confirm too that it works flawlessly using A500 with the cycle-exact setting, thanks you guys! really got me back to be able to dig this demo once more =' 3

I also find fascinating the fact that there are secret parts on this demo as claimed in the text as follows:
Quote:
Hidden Part / Easter Eggs
Boot from disk 2, and you'll get a blank screen. Now press the left
mouse button, the right mouse button, and the joystick button at the same time.
Well, it seems like nobody have been able to find the second hidden part in Desert Dream, right!?.
For the interested phreaks i can reval, that half of the part is located
on D.D disk1. And the other half is located in the minidemo D.A.N.E. Nothing Is Impossible here!.
this text can be found on the exotica.org link i put on my previous message, i have found the one at the second disk BUT there also speaks about a hidden part on the first disk as well?

I find this part suspicious of having to do with that hidden part;

at the end of the animation there the camera goes through the floor, perhaps holding a certain key makes the camera to keep going on the path unlocking the secret part?

I have not figured it yet lol
Old 25 February 2017, 21:57   #14
ancalimon
Supernormal

I have both of the corruptions (credits and tunnel), plus when it says end off part 2 the floppy appears corrupted and it gets stuck there.
Old 26 April 2017, 10:41   #15
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViLXDRYAD View Post
also yea; i also notice there are some dots that might have not supposed to be there:
A few years ago, there was a trilogy series of DVDs (and a Blu-ray for the third) called MindCandy, which was a showcase of the Demoscene on PC and Amiga, and on the Amiga DVD, Desert Dream was featured, and they used a faulty version with this above glitch. I can hardly say that smacks of professionalism, to be frank. Couldn't they have found a better version?