AZka

winuae is a brilliant program
Old 16 March 2018, 08:23   #22
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
You could if you sold all your Amiga's my friend
Maybe I'll start with one A4000 and see how much free/g-sync I can get for that money. ;-)
Old 16 March 2018, 08:24   #23
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Freesync hardware ist just fine for emulation. But it guess you are a nVidia guy.
I must say I prefer nVidia these days. Good to hear freesync is also an option.
Old 16 March 2018, 08:41   #24
JLPedro
JLPedro

Emulators brought me back to real Amiga hardware much sooner than it would eventualy happen, when I found out UAE and fellow way back I only had a non-working Amiga 1200, after I used UAE and Fellow emulators... well lets say my quest for real hardware just got a LOT bigger.
Today I have most of the Amiga models, and frequently use the A2000 and A1200, but Winuae is always present.
Old 16 March 2018, 15:44   #25
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Some really interesting posts so far!! It seems to me that WinUAE plays a bigger role in the preservation of original Amiga hardware, than I first thought.

It is also interesting to read the different views each member has, on both WinUAE and original hardware. Finding that some use both is a surprize too!

For me I cannot get around the fact that simulated could never be like actual. The experience of the real thing etc. It is good to see that some members have covered this too.

I first tried WinUAE in 2010 but never really got into it. It seemed a little awkward and didn't function, like I thought it would. Obviously all that would of been address since then, on later revisions. I am thinking of trying again but I take it my old 2010 version is antiquated now and would need a new update, of some kind?
Old 16 March 2018, 15:46   #26
ajk

A new upload..? Just get the latest version from the website and install it
Old 16 March 2018, 16:56   #27
adolfo.pa

I have an Amiga 500 that I use almost daily for programming and games.

I believe both emulators and new fpga machines (or "real" recreations like icomp A1200 reloaded) are fundamental for the preservation of the Amiga culture and heritage.

To be honest, I wouldn't have brought my Amiga back from the limbo if not for FS-UAE. A couple of years ago I started playing my old Amiga games under emulation, and things escalated quickly: first emulators in my laptop, then a dedicated Raspberry Pi, then the Mist, and finally my good old Amiga 500.

Each transition was motivated by the desire of getting something closer to the real thing, but without the associated room space problems. Until I finally didn't give a damn about space and decided to use a real Amiga

Emulators/FPGA are not killing Amiga; they're saving it by bringing back new people (like myself) into it.
Old 16 March 2018, 21:37   #28
redblade
Zone Friend

I love WinUAE was one of the first programs I downloaded alongside M.A.M.E when we updated the 486DX2-66 to a Pentium 1.8ghz in 2002. It was great being able to use the emulated Action Replay Cartridge 3 to get unlimited lives.

Was also great being able to emulate a Amiga 3000UX in 2013 to play with Sys VR4. Amiga 3000 prices are too expensive these days but that's the market.

It's great being able to play with other screen modes on WinUAE like productivity and to set up CF HDDs on it.

I also use FS-UAE on Ubuntu. Great work by the guys on the Emulation.

I still have a A1200 and have fond memories growing up with a A500 with 512kRam expansion. Still need to get a accelerator for the A1200 and those DSP audio cards seem interesting.
Old 16 May 2018, 22:44   #29
CaptainPlanet

I use a version of uae on my arcade cabinet (with 15Khz CRT, of course) and it's absolutely perfect.
Recently though I bought an A1200 so I'm having fun with that now too...trying to get all the bits of software I used to use years ago!
Old 17 May 2018, 11:25   #30
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
The original hardware, sadly, is on borrowed time. The software, on the other hand, need never die.
If only it was the other way around!
Old 17 May 2018, 18:19   #31
Marchie

Love my hardware, there's a charm and joy to using it.
Old 17 May 2018, 18:24   #32
Amiga1992

I use both for a long time now, WinUAE is an invaluable tool for real AMiga owners.
However, hardware is finicky and frail and prone to fail, more and more I get fed up with it since every single time I want to fire up an Amiga there's some issue or other, and honestly, in a far future, I don't see any point in keeping hardware around if it's a bother.

This computer hobby is meant to be enjoyed, and when you go through so many ordeals to get the shit running, it stops being fun and loses its purpose.
Old 17 May 2018, 20:30   #33
kamelito
Zone Friend

I suppose that new tricks can't be found under emulation.
Old 17 May 2018, 21:20   #34
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
This computer hobby is meant to be enjoyed, and when you go through so many ordeals to get the shit running, it stops being fun and loses its purpose.

This is an interesting statement as I do and don't agree with it. I do agree that, Yes you are correct the hobby should remain enjoyable. I don't agree, because the hardware is where it all began, NOT emulation, so the preservation of classic hardware is paramount, for the original Amiga's history.
Old 17 May 2018, 21:27   #35
AdvanceFollow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
This is an interesting statement as I do and don't agree with it. I do agree that, Yes you are correct the hobby should remain enjoyable. I don't agree, because the hardware is where it all began, NOT emulation, so the preservation of classic hardware is paramount, for the original Amiga's history.
Also, for some, the hardware is the hobby...

I just want to play some old games occasionally, which is why I can't be bothered with real hardware.
Old 17 May 2018, 21:31   #36
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvanceFollow View Post
Also, for some, the hardware is the hobby...
Yes, part of my Amiga enjoyment is getting the hardware to work or hacking it into or with other designs. Playing games is OK but there is so much more on offer, that you'd be mad not to try it !!
Old 17 May 2018, 23:54   #37
d4rk3lf

As with the most things in life, this is not black and white subject, and the best is gray, or something in between.
I love using both.
I have A500 with aca 500+, and I enjoy playing so much games on it right now (K240, Pirates, Wing Commander, Arcade Pool... etc).
And I have Winuae both on my lap, and desk PC, that I use to play aga games, or very hardware demanding games, and also to play with Lightwave 5, and Deluxe Paint.

As for the real hardware falling...yes, that's a problem, but I think that maybe in year or 2, we will have crowfunding campaigns of manufacturing new (old) Amiga computers.
Right now we have a cases for A500 and A1200, and I kinda expect that there will be more then that.
Old 18 May 2018, 05:19   #38
bladecgn

I use both worlds frequently. My real amiga is a 1200 in Kickstarter casing. I cout out a h ole for easy access to the CF card (over the PCMCIA slot).

This card goes into my PCs cardreader. The system on the card is a Multiboot System: It detects if it is run on real hardware or under emulation and sets up the system accordingly.

So I got the best of both worlds. I think bot is cool, WinUAe is excellent and the emulated Amiga is very fast. The real deal hast the nostalgic feeling to it.

Last edited by bladecgn; 18 May 2018 at 05:31.
Old 18 May 2018, 13:03   #39
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Amiga all the way, but WinUae is great for compiling large C source code because it's soooo much faster than my 50mhz 68030.
Old 18 May 2018, 17:11   #40
DanyPPC

I play only on real hardware, but i use WinUAE for testing purpose and for archive storing.
WinUAE is an excellent software emulator and hardware replacement, especially for advanced Amiga configurations.

Long life to both software and hardware