English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 October 2012, 16:25   #1
TTD

Send a message via MSN to TTD
Aca1231

Hi all amiga lovers,

I just want to ask anyone if they could help here a little.

I have brought an ACA1231, from germany (vesalia) the card when is insert in the a1200 works but only for about an hour. The A1200 works perfect if I remove the acc card, unles is required more memory than 2MB.

So when aca card insert at the trapdoor the a1200 works for an hour or less, when I take the card out the a1200 works, perfect again.
When it gets hot it gives me error on the harddrive.

Most commen error is
Like Workbench not availble.

When I disassemble it, without the aca1231 card my workbench works fine again.
When I have it turn off for few minutes to cool off it works perfect again for me is look like a heating problem on a card that is new?!?
What should I do? send it back, or repair it self with a fan or set it up other way?

Ideas are more than welcome. A1200 is rev 2A have Kickstart3.1 so it should be Escom A1200 any modifications I need to get it work without add a fan to the ACA1231 card?
Old 17 October 2012, 16:47   #2
kipper2k

sounds like a heat issue, if you touch the top of the chip on the 1231 is it cool/warm/hot or crispy hot. if its close to crispy then you will need a small passive stick on type heat sink or maybe even a small fan

Last edited by kipper2k; 17 October 2012 at 17:40.
Old 17 October 2012, 17:06   #3
TTD

Thanks kipper2k that was a fast reply.

So my idea with heat issue is proparly the reason, the metal also get hot when it have run for an hour, that is over the CPU 68030 full with MMU.
Then I need to figure out how I can add a small fan inside the A1200.
Old 17 October 2012, 17:37   #4
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
Thanks kipper2k that was a fast reply.

So my idea with heat issue is proparly the reason, the metal also get hot when it have run for an hour, that is over the CPU 68030 full with MMU.
Then I need to figure out how I can add a small fan inside the A1200.
Try these, if they are a little wide you can always dremel them to size.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Aluminum-VGA-...item337ba0d8af

P.S. expect shipping to be slooooooooow!

Last edited by kipper2k; 17 October 2012 at 17:44.
Old 17 October 2012, 17:54   #5
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Try these, if they are a little wide you can always dremel them to size.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Aluminum-VGA-...item337ba0d8af
Do you know if they includes adhesives or do you need to get that separately?
Old 17 October 2012, 18:03   #6
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Do you have the older heavy a500 power supply you could try it with?
Old 17 October 2012, 19:02   #7
TTD

@kipper2k
Well good to know that link, but if I remember correctly I allready have something like this need to look again on my stuff.

@demolition there was a big metal over cpu but it does not cool it down enough so it can run stable in longer time, so you need to buy other things to get it work proparly, I have also try contact vesalia support for issue, but I think here was best first.

@T ahiry bootson
I have try alot of PSUs old new for a500 originals, homemade PSU for A500 which was for one with scsi card more heavy than you could get, and can delivery more Amps on 12V and 5V but nothing changes my issue with the a1200 problem and running the aca1231 card.

As I have written the a1200 works fine for an hour when it acc cards gets hot it tells my workbench harddrive not working.
I can use machine if I dont need to access harddrive or program not need to access it but if I need to save or quit I get in trouble, that when I dont have acc.card nothing else happends like this, if card is turn off and card being cold again harddrive works perfect again, I have use alot of time just to figure out what to do.

I can send it back for repair, but well I can not understand sell a product that is new and without a fan when is get to hot inside the a1200 for me is looking like is not tested enough on a real setup a1200 case, so maybe vesilia could send me stuff to fix the issues, I can easy add fan to it.

So if you ask to buy it then I would say think or ask for stuff that can make it work in a case (Commodore/Escom A1200s)
I am so sad over it not works longer.
Old 18 October 2012, 09:35   #8
Coltch

My ACA1231 used to get very hot and yellow screen my 1D4 A1200 (AT) with wait/suspend errors on the CF HDD.

I'm now running it in a 1D1 A1200 (Commodore) and it's perfectly stable, it still gets warm but doesn't bring the system down - the trapdoor cover is off and I also have part of the machine overhanging the edge of the desk just to give it a little bit of air.
Old 18 October 2012, 22:55   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltch View Post
My ACA1231 used to get very hot and yellow screen my 1D4 A1200 (AT) with wait/suspend errors on the CF HDD.

I'm now running it in a 1D1 A1200 (Commodore) and it's perfectly stable, it still gets warm but doesn't bring the system down
Theoretically, the A1200 Rev.1-D-1 motherboard is the only version which doesn't require a timing fix to work properly with faster accelerators.

I say theoretically, because in practice it's also dependent on component tolerances.

So, if your 1-D-1 motherboard is a 'typical' one, then that could be the reason it performs the better of the two with the ACA1231.
Old 19 October 2012, 14:32   #10
TTD

@Coltch I dont get yellow screen with the card, I just get that it don't respond to anything when it's hot, workbench screen is there but any ativity to the CF HDD tells that my drive is not there and freezes, when I detach it or let it cool down it works fine again, so add a fan is proparly the best thing to do, I still don't get why the creators of this card sold it without a fan.

@prowler I must admit I have not seen the revision on that A1200, but all other revisions does required a timing fix?
Then new question come up how do I made that timing fix? if the revision on my board is the latest like 1D4 or something else than 1D1?
Old 19 October 2012, 21:56   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
@prowler I must admit I have not seen the revision on that A1200, but all other revisions does required a timing fix?
Then new question come up how do I made that timing fix? if the revision on my board is the latest like 1D4 or something else than 1D1?
Have a look here:
http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._mobo_fix.html
Old 19 October 2012, 22:51   #12
alenppc

I had the same issue, and bought a slim 60 mm fan which I placed next to the card in the Amiga trapdoor. Had to trim the fan a bit to make it fit, but it fits with the trapdoor closed.

Since then there hasn't been a single issue with the card. Obviosuly the damn thing is noisy but it's not too bad.
Old 20 October 2012, 15:39   #13
TTD

@prowler I will check that link, thanks for help and info.

@alenppc a slim 60 mm fan sounds great, well I found a very slim fan on one of my old geforce card 40x40x8 mm fan, maybe I can use that, even I don't know if I can set it so it does not fall of the correct spot, but how can I set it with the screws?!?
working in progress.
Old 22 October 2012, 23:46   #14
alenppc

@TTD: I just realized I was wrong. The fan I bought is an 80 mm one, this specific one to be precise: http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=047713

There is just enough space next to the ACA1231 inside the trapdoor to wedge this fan in without having to use any screws. I had to cut the plastic in one corner of the fan and angle it but otherwise it fits nicely. Even if it's not in direct contact with the CPU it clearly moves enough air around to keep the card cool: now it works for hours without crashing or freezing.

Last edited by alenppc; 22 October 2012 at 23:52.
Old 18 October 2019, 08:48   #15
octavius

Hey guys, I recall this thread again I bought ACA1231 as second hand. I put it into my original Amiga 1200 from Commodore. I have it since 1995 I think... I get it recapped this year. Rev. of PCB is 1.D4
Amiga alone works great but If I insert ACA1231 I'm getting let´s say after 1hour during soft reset yellow screen. Sometimes 1x or 2x and then continue booting from CF card.
Do you think is necessary do timing fix? The Fan 80mm I could try at first...
Second strange thing is my ACA do not hold the time! If I set correct time and SAVE it after amiga off for 3min and turn on again there is 1978 year. Battery is changed. Thanks for help or hint
Old 20 October 2019, 23:17   #16
paul1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by octavius View Post
Hey guys, I recall this thread again I bought ACA1231 as second hand. I put it into my original Amiga 1200 from Commodore. I have it since 1995 I think... I get it recapped this year. Rev. of PCB is 1.D4
Amiga alone works great but If I insert ACA1231 I'm getting let´s say after 1hour during soft reset yellow screen. Sometimes 1x or 2x and then continue booting from CF card.
Do you think is necessary do timing fix? The Fan 80mm I could try at first...
Second strange thing is my ACA do not hold the time! If I set correct time and SAVE it after amiga off for 3min and turn on again there is 1978 year. Battery is changed. Thanks for help or hint
Try opening a Shell and typing 'setclock reset' (without the quotes of course). This may work, it may not. Of course after this you will need to set the clock (use the Time program in Prefs and make sure to select 'Save' instead of 'Use').
Timing fixes...probably yes, but don't quote me on that. If you're running Kickstart 3.0 then you'll need to use ACATune too to get all of the RAM to appear.