English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 15 June 2005, 20:27   #21
BippyM
Global Moderator

I firmly believe RCK needs to sort this out..

Some of the mods have been around a while, some not so long.. but no mods is suicide!!
Old 16 June 2005, 03:00   #22
Marcuz

i don't know if you guys have talked this on irc or on pm, but i don't think RCK has intended unmod the board, quite the contrary. fact is that mods were already kinda too easy, and he left the most active or experienced. we are going to become >1000 users and mods are required, but this is his board and so far a wise conducted one. i trust he will come out with something: the trial basis mods creation worked as long there were thrustworthy people for him to pick.
so i clearify my previous point: it's up to him interview people to the job and maybe to people interested to propose their candidature. there is no perfect way to conduct any board anyway as it is a group of different people.
so if people would understand this and both 1) try to manifest their annoyment , 'leetism and smartassness at any given chance and 2) avoid to try to not manifest their scandal and made up hurt feelings on any comments when really not due,
then probably we would feel less in a kidergarten and mods would have a easier work.
fact is no FAQ can help as mostly no new user reads it, and how could you write effectively such a concept anyway? "users have to behave responsibly and nice"? aww guys this is just internet, id est, a fake meeting point.
it would be more useful to ask RCK if he likes his board and what he may dislike of it.
i'm no exception to my debate, i've just seen >100 posts deleted in my count as they were OT, it is undeniable that lately my support is questionable. and my interest is not so as it was. as a user i feel confortable when the direction is friendly, unite and steady. this gets me to the start of this post.
Old 16 June 2005, 03:47   #23
IFW

MODs should be restored, recent events are a clear indication of that.
Party crashers just feel when a board is unguarded or run by pussys and they attack it mercilessly; as I already said this used to be a big problem with newsgroups - well, was only a problem for me as long as I visited any of them... I don't do it for many years by now - and it quickly erodes the spirit.
Old members start to leave, offtopic becomes ontopic, and finally it turns into ebay or a site.
Old 16 June 2005, 09:08   #24
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
i don't know if you guys have talked this on irc or on pm, but i don't think RCK has intended unmod the board, quite the contrary. fact is that mods were already kinda too easy, and he left the most active or experienced.
There are no mods in the global areas!!

All local mods have ability to mod their own sections!!!!
Old 16 June 2005, 11:27   #25
Marcuz

yeah but this is just a vacancy i think, no?
Old 16 June 2005, 11:39   #26
BippyM
Global Moderator

We don't know what is going to happen, hence this thread!!

You guys are supposed to be posting your thoughts and ideas of how you want the EAB moderating!!

Keep the old mods
Replace the mods with new mods
Have monthly/bi-monthly votes on who the mods are

etc..

right now there are no moderators and you can see that!

Worse error RCK has done is making publicly known that there are no global mods. He should have kept the old mods whilst the debating went on and decisions were made!

As you can see all the other old mods are keeping pretty much outta this thread and keeping their thoughts to themselves which is good.
Old 16 June 2005, 11:59   #27
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I would suggest that Mods are nominated and seconded by at least 5 members but not voted for. This is NOT a popularity contest but the decision as to whether a mod is appointed should be down to RCK.

I would suggest NOT having Global mods but having at least 2 mods for each area.

And every 2 months a review of Mods in each area in a thread/vote along lines of:

Moderation over last 2 months. Has it been:

Heavy
Appropriate
Light but Effective
Ineffective
What Mods?

Just IMHO....

It would not be hard to come up with a list of people as good candidates. People who regularly monitor the place and have an interest in it.

As another issue. I would like to see ALL users showing a real location (country), more from curiosity than any dark desire to know. By all means give them a comment field in profile so you could say: "England", "Ingerland - Jocks Out" or whatever witty comment U wanted

Just some suggestions...
Old 16 June 2005, 14:11   #28
Peanutuk

Mmmmm.
Old 16 June 2005, 14:13   #29
Peanutuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
As another issue. I would like to see ALL users showing a real location (country), more from curiosity than any dark desire to know. By all means give them a comment field in profile so you could say: "England", "Ingerland - Jocks Out" or whatever witty comment U wanted
Where are you again Methanoid?
Old 16 June 2005, 14:55   #30
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutuk
Well this then kinda highlights a point made in THAT thread - there are too many forums. I never even noticed that one.

Oh and location? UK... kinda a giveaway with Deuteros.co.uk... much like PeanutUK?

Think of all the fun things we could do with proper location fields from a picklist? I mean... come every St Andrews day we could post personal emails to the Scots telling them how much we love them. Oh sod it.. I dont know why.. it would satsify my curiosity.... OK?
Old 16 June 2005, 15:18   #31
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
That thread got me banned
Old 16 June 2005, 15:19   #32
Peanutuk

I always thought we needed more like it.
Old 16 June 2005, 15:33   #33
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
I always thought we needed more like it.
Was a smiley missing there or not???

BTW, just spotted also we already HAVE what I was asking for

Comments and location fields. So I can be pointless in the "title" field and show a real location (as we all should) in our location field
Old 16 June 2005, 15:50   #34
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Oy, stop deleting posts in this thread..!!
Old 16 June 2005, 20:07   #35
oldpx

No mods for 11 days and nothing terrible happened. Good luck or good member attitude, whatever it is, it won't last forever.

Old 16 June 2005, 20:07   #36
Amiga1992

Welcome to Troll-fest DoomMaster. Now is the time to return.
Old 17 June 2005, 11:38   #37
Pink

Number of posts in my welcome thread: 6
Number of people in my welcome thread: 2 (including me)
Number of posts before someone noticed my illegal signature: 20 posts 2 weeks
Number of posts before random Fred attack: 3

I don't think the mods are a problem. It's the attitude. This board is quite happy to let someone look stupid than actually go near them. I think it's just a chore to come here for most of the regs. To a new person it's as if everyone is in on a private joke even if the new person is quite helpful.

I'm not complaining. I just keep to myself now.
Old 17 June 2005, 14:19   #38
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Wots a Welcome Thread? I've only been here 2 years and not seen one....
Old 17 June 2005, 17:11   #39
Kangoo
Samurai

well im a "newbie" here, but a mod on another board. as a "newbie" (i hate that word) i have found this board very helpful and welcoming. basically i hadn´t played my old amiga 500 for about 10 years. so as bippym pointed out in the "mmmmm" thread i had no clue about kickstarts or even winUAE untill about 1 week ago.

my thoughts on moderating. the board wont last long without it, or it will last but will be a wild west. so hopefully mods are reinstated or selected soon (if this hasn´t already occured)

as far as "Wots a Welcome Thread? I've only been here 2 years and not seen one...."

i think pink means when she posted a "hello thread"...only 1 person replied.

i haven´t had any problems with the board or members. as far as private jokes, the only one i have seen is regarding "fred the duck". i guess that is something a "newbie" has to figure out, or find out for themselves.

anyway, happy posting people

rock on!
Old 17 June 2005, 17:23   #40
Freckle
I like hats

Location: I fell down the stairs and bumped my head, so I am kind of half-in, half-out of the broom cupboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangoo
as far as private jokes, the only one i have seen is regarding "fred the duck". i guess that is something a "newbie" has to figure out, or find out for themselves.
I'm afraid that you'll never 'figure out' Fred the Duck - he is something of a law unto himself...