English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 14 February 2019, 18:49   #1
eXeler0

beta test quake map on amiga

Howdy,

I made a new Quake map inspired by HalfLife and I've only play-tested it on a PC. So now it would be nice to see if it works on (high end) Amiga too. So if you feel like you wanna test it on your Amiga setup, let me know.
File is about 6MB compressed and hosted on my site but link is not public as long as its beta.

If you're intertested, PM me for link to zip. Remember its beta, once its "final" it will be available from Quaddicted.com

Here are some screenshots from the current beta version:

http://www.exretro.com/downloads/qma...X32/index.html

I dont expect it to run well on 060+AGA due to big-ish textures, but I imagine it should run on 060+RTG and of course the Vampire.
(My own Vamp is currently only a fancy black-screen generator so..)

As you can see from the first screen-shots there are some Amiga-themes things in the map.

Last edited by eXeler0; 14 February 2019 at 23:20. Reason: Added some relevant info..
Old 14 February 2019, 19:47   #2
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

And PPC quake?
Old 14 February 2019, 20:42   #3
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
And PPC quake?
Sure, I'm guessing anything with 4MB+ gfx memory has a chance of working.
Its only tested on Quakespasm on PC which is a fairly modern quake engine, but I've tried to keep within the limitation of WinQuake to keep compatibility with old engines that work on Amiga.
Map is pretty close to max edge count supported by the .bsp format, another question that needs answers from an Amiga perspecive.
Old 14 February 2019, 21:36   #4
Cowcat

What protocol uses?
Old 14 February 2019, 23:17   #5
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
What protocol uses?
Not sure what you refer to?
Old 15 February 2019, 12:18   #6
Cowcat

Quakespasm is based on Fitzquake that introduced "sv_protocol". 666 is the default protocol for this engine being 15 the old classic Quake.

What they say:
Quote:
When running protocol 15, only 256 models and 256 sounds can be sent to the client, which means you would see invisible entities and not hear some sounds, when running a map or mod that has more than 256 models or sounds.
Basically your map depends on those limit values, and of course the memory you give to the engine when starting (heap).

I only know one Quake for Amiga that has a (partial) support for this protocol AFAIK.
Old 15 February 2019, 15:16   #7
eXeler0

Quote:
Quakespasm is based on Fitzquake that introduced "sv_protocol". 666 is the default protocol for this engine being 15 the old classic Quake.

What they say:

Basically your map depends on those limit values, and of course the memory you give to the engine when starting (heap).

I only know one Quake for Amiga that has a (partial) support for this protocol AFAIK.
Ah ok,
Thanx, I should probably try to run it on a few older engines on PC too.. for map creation I use Trenchbroom editor and compile the map with ericw tools. In compiler you can set a bunch of stuff that will probably break a lot of old engines, such as using the .bsp2 format etc here I have tried to be conservative.
Old 18 February 2019, 22:00   #8
eXeler0

Tried running old WinQuake (The one that comes with Steam) and after allocating more memory (-Winmem 64 or 128) I was still getting hunc_alloc errors..
Then, I could just barely run a much smaller map I'v done earlier and it had lots of issues with visibility clipping. I realize now, there's no way the new map will run on Amiga with all ports being based on old Quake engine versions....
Old 19 February 2019, 21:34   #9
Cowcat

The only one that has potential for running it is my latest BlitzQuake: I did the work for protocol 666, but few cared....
Old 20 February 2019, 18:14   #10
eXeler0

Quote:
The only one that has potential for running it is my latest BlitzQuake: I did the work for protocol 666, but few cared....
Which engine version was your port based on? (Guessing, WinQuake) Any other limits removed?
Is there any engine between the old WinQuake an the much newer ones..
I get that pretty much all of the new ones are based on GL Quake and that doesn't work on most 68k Amigas (yet).
I think once the Vampire gets its 3d core, we will see some sort of Mini GL implementation so that will give us new options..
In your Opinion, lets assume we have MiniGL, what version would be the best choice for a new Amiga port? Mark V?

I think a lot of people like to run Quake benchmarks but dont plkay the old game.. But there are so many new maps out there that only run on newer engines, so we're missing out.. Having a modern Quake gives a lot of nice options whetrer it is new maps or mods.
Old 20 February 2019, 18:51   #11
Cowcat

Code:
Which engine version was your port based on?
It's Phx/Surgeon work based on quakepro, but for quite some years I took code from other ports: FitzQuake/Mark V, Quakespasm, etc ... whatever is needed.

Code:
there are so many new maps out there that only run on newer engines, so we're missing out.. Having a modern Quake gives a lot of nice options whetrer it is new maps or mods.
This is THE major problem as I told weeks ago in a podcast: Abandonware sources or very ancient code with no other options than fixing bugs here and there or little frame increase.

Newer maps ask for a good chunk of memory and a modernized code besides good hardware.

Stuff like "In The Shadows" or "Arcane Dimensions" run with Blitzquake: Still some missing features with some texture transparencies. Maybe I will figure out that some day.
Old 21 February 2019, 22:57   #12
eXeler0

Sounds pretty impressive if it can run Arcane Dimensions, then I'm 99% confident my map will run just fine.
I'll PM you a link if you wanna try it out. (It's currently "Release Candidate 1" so I feel its pretty much done)
Old 03 March 2019, 03:27   #13
eXeler0

For the record, I gave up on the idea of getting this thing yo run on an Amiga, I think map is simply too big/complex for current engine ports on Amiga (also, thanx Cowcat for some testing)

But if you wanna play the map on your PC you can download it here:
http://www.quaketastic.com/files/sin...area32x_q1.zip

Use Quakespasm engine for best compatibility.

Cheers