English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 July 2014, 21:54   #2421
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I wonder what happened to the Graffiti emulation that was intended from the beginning, if it's stopped or if we can have any possibility in the future

Also I don't remember who was the guy that made work Picasso96 for ECS, but I'm wondering if he got/has all what he could need to develope it now.

Edit: It was Symplex http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?p=508355

Last edited by Retrofan; 07 April 2015 at 03:38.
Old 07 April 2015, 02:37   #2422
CMTX

I also join the first question of Retrofan. Graffitti modes are implemented on indy ECS where they have little use. If it was implemented in indivision AGA we could do MAC emulation on a chunky 640x480 display fast as hell. And with the excellent image quality of the indivision AGA... I have an original graffitti board, and the speed is blazing fast on 256 colors.

AFAIK it's absolutely possible to do this only upgrading the ¿firmware? of the fpga. And it was a promised feature from the beggining. ¿Will I.C. add it some day? I'm sure that if they do it coders will create more software for the graffitti, like a quake version. And this will create more sales.

It would be a smart move in my opinion
Old 07 April 2015, 03:28   #2423
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTX View Post
I also join the first question of Retrofan. Graffitti modes are implemented on indy ECS where they have little use. If it was implemented in indivision AGA we could do MAC emulation on a chunky 640x480 display fast as hell. And with the excellent image quality of the indivision AGA... I have an original graffitti board, and the speed is blazing fast on 256 colors.

AFAIK it's absolutely possible to do this only upgrading the ¿firmware? of the fpga. And it was a promised feature from the beggining. ¿Will I.C. add it some day? I'm sure that if they do it coders will create more software for the graffitti, like a quake version. And this will create more sales.

It would be a smart move in my opinion
As far as I know the Graffiti mode was basically completed for the Mrk 2 years ago. The plan was to have an improved Graffiti mode with the Mrk 2 with better color representation than the original.

It wouldn't actually effects sales of the card at this late stage which doesn't give Jens much of an incentive to release it now. Hardly any software supports Graffiti and only a couple of DEVS would bother to add Graffiti modes to existing software.

Yes it would be great if Jens released a firmware update to add this mode but I don't think we'll ever see it

Last edited by NovaCoder; 07 April 2015 at 03:46.
Old 07 April 2015, 03:59   #2424
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Yes it would be great if Jens released a firmware update to add this mode but I don't think we'll ever see it
If he does release it, it would generate a slight bit of "buzz" and some goodwill, that spills over on current items for sale. However, as for being useful, and bosting sales for the Indivision it self... Yeah, not happening. One could hope he releases it just to get something out of the time & money invested in it.
Old 07 April 2015, 09:48   #2425
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I did give an outlook on the possibility of adding Graffiti modes, but didn't "finish" this at any point. Just because the hardware is wired up to be capable of capturing all the required bits, it doesn't mean it's finished. If your key feature for buying the Indivision AGA MK2 is a Graffiti mode, then don't buy now, but wait for the firmware to include it.

I currently don't have any time that I could spare on Indivision AGA MK2 development. I'd like to finish at least one prototype before the Amiga 30-year celebrations.

Jens
Old 07 April 2015, 12:49   #2426
CMTX

Thank you for your answers. @Schoenfeld: If i understood you right you are still planning to add the graffiti modes at some point, which is great 'news'. I'll be crossing my fingers

Cheers.
Old 16 July 2015, 16:37   #2427
trixster
Guru Meditating

Bump. Any update?
Old 16 July 2015, 22:57   #2428
eXeler0

@trixster Considering Jens mentioned a new (lower cost) version of the Indivision to go with the recently announced Amiga reloaded board, I'm guessing that is the next Indivision you'll see (if the Reloaded boards gets the "go ahead".)
Remains to be seen if its simply a HW redesign or if the "firmware" gets some longe overdue TLC ;-)
Old 17 July 2015, 06:28   #2429
demolition
Unregistered User

I imagine that getting rid of the Lisa socket on the Indivision could be a cost and space saver, and if he makes a special header on the MB to connect an Indivision, this could be one way of reducing the cost. It would also mean easier installation and fewer problems due to bad connections.
Old 17 July 2015, 13:39   #2430
paul1981

I'm going to remain an optimist here. I do believe Jens will deliver a graffiti mode at some point.
Old 17 July 2015, 14:09   #2431
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

The graffiti mode for the Indi ECS was made by Symplex.

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?p=508355

I wonder if he could make the same here or what the problems are.
Old 17 July 2015, 15:59   #2432
brett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
I'm going to remain an optimist here. I do believe Jens will deliver a graffiti mode at some point.
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a "graffiti mode"?
Old 17 July 2015, 16:13   #2433
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a "graffiti mode"?
Grafitti was a pseudo gfx card released a long time ago that gave Amiga chunky pixel mode.
It connected to the RGB port so it didnt magically solve all display problems internally like a proper gfx xard would but if supported by the software, a game could use the graffiti chunky pixel mode without the need for c2p (chunky to planar conversion) in software.
The game "Nemac IV" was one of veeery few games taking advantage of it.. and honestly probably not much of an advantage if you already had a fast c2p on a 040 or 060.

Last edited by eXeler0; 17 July 2015 at 16:49.
Old 17 July 2015, 17:44   #2434
Jope
-

Vsync is much more useful than graffiti, if you look at the amount of use cases between the two. ;-)
Old 17 July 2015, 23:14   #2435
trixster
Guru Meditating

We can live in hope. I've recently re-read this thread from beginning to end and I can now appreciate Jen's position much more, but I do think he should either tell us we can stop hoping for those holy grail additions to indivision AGA 2 we've been hoping for for good, or give us a prediction on delivery date. It's frustrating that this thread just stopped with no further developer update.
Old 18 July 2015, 02:01   #2436
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

He stayed very clearly that you better don't buy an Indi MKII if what you want is support for 800x600 modes or Graffiti.

As we've seen we can get 800x600 modes and now we should try to find someone developing Graffiti. If we should make a bounty to find this guy it's up to us.
Old 18 July 2015, 20:44   #2437
eXeler0

Competition is so rare its easy to forget it exists in Amigaworld, but it will be interesting to see if the latest life signs from Dezz could put some pressure on the Indivision...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67090&page=17
Old 18 July 2015, 21:03   #2438
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Competition is so rare its easy to forget it exists in Amigaworld, but it will be interesting to see if the latest life signs from Dezz could put some pressure on the Indivision...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67090&page=17
And they said something interesting at the beginning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
It will support some form of RTG. More on it a little later.
Old 01 February 2016, 12:04   #2439
pgovotsos

Is this (MkIIcr) compatible with a Video Toaster 4000 in a 4000? If so, is the Toaster display shown through the Indivision's output of the Amiga's 23 pin RGB port?

The description for the Indivision ECS says that it is compatible with the Video Toaster but I can't find any similar claim, either yes or no, for the AGA MkIIcr or if the Toaster display gets shown by the Indivision or RGB port.

Thanks