English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 27 March 2012, 23:40   #501
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
this is probably a silly question, but doesn't Paula produce a digital audio signal that can be sent down the HDMI lead?
Alexh is right. The signal is digital, but the wrong format, and as such it's useless. It's possible to make it right, and stick it in the data stream, but at that point it's cheaper to take the quality loss, and use the analog audio as a source for the same purpose. I'd say if getting audio over HDMI is a must, get one of those thingies i linked to before, and let Kipper2k focus on the important stuff, the HDMI header. I wouldn't even include the analog audio on his board, as it's going to add a slight complexity, with minimal gain, or use. How many will cut a HDMI cable open to access the wires on the other end, and add a pair of RCA connectors, so they can hook it to anything, i mean, really.

Yes, a single cable is neat, but for real world application, and not just theory, isn't 2 cables and a few cable ties a more reliable solution? No cutting in to the HDMI cable, messing with possible shielding issues, and signal interference.
B!
Old 28 March 2012, 01:19   #502
NovaCoder

I feel like we should have a EAB party or something to celebrate this release date, feels like it's been so long since I had my Mrk 1.

Old 28 March 2012, 01:24   #503
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I feel like we should have a EAB party or something to celebrate this release date, feels like it's been so long since I had my Mrk 1.

I'm feeling the same... but we all will be drinking and talking and you... you will be making some graffiti upgrades... ....

Edit: BTW: I think you should update your thread about your A1200. A lot of people is interested in that too... you know, photos and so...

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 March 2012 at 01:39.
Old 28 March 2012, 07:34   #504
weiju

phew, glad I checked here, I almost missed it and my Commodore CRT already "whistles on the last hole" as we germans say
Got my preorder in now as well. Thanks Jens and AmigaKit, this is the product I've been waiting for.
Old 28 March 2012, 08:20   #505
amigakit.com

Thank you for the preorder
Old 28 March 2012, 12:54   #506
magnetic
Banned

Amigakit

What advantages are there for a "pre-order"? Will you have suffecient stoke for non pre order buyers?

@ Novacoder

Do you think MK2 version will improve your Scumvm ports?
Old 28 March 2012, 16:57   #507
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post

@ Novacoder

Do you think MK2 version will improve your Scumvm ports?
Not sure yet, time will tell if it adds any speed to ScummVM. There are also other projects that I'm working on that might benefit from adding Graffiti support.
Old 28 March 2012, 21:10   #508
phl22

Smile

amigakit.com

hello if you can book and pay in early May?
Old 28 March 2012, 21:24   #509
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by phl22 View Post
amigakit.com

hello if you can book and pay in early May?
I had to pay the funds up front... I doubt it, not without a deposit
Old 28 March 2012, 22:04   #510
amigakit.com

@phl22

You can register your interest with us and contact us again in May. Please email sales [ a t ] amigakit.com

The customers that have pre-ordered now understandibly will be our priority when despatching the product.
Old 29 March 2012, 06:38   #511
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@amigakit.com

There was a pre-order button for Indivision AGA MK2 for A1200/A4000T last night but not today? I would like to pre-order one for my A4000T but the button is not available.

@Schoenfeld

So the Indivision AGA MK2 A1200/A4000T can do 100Hz in PAL, but can it do 120Hz for NTSC? Serious question. I am going to compare it with the PicassoIV which can do that (but which can't do all Amiga screenmodes :/ ).

Earlier in this thread you mentioned that it will be limited to 135MHz due to the DVI encoder not able to handle higher without overvoltage. Is there a possibility to not enforce that limit (no overvoltage of course!) for those of us who will be using a DVI-I-VGA adapter as you mentioned it was no problem for analogue, or would that cause problems for the board? Note that I do have a 1920x1200 screen
Old 29 March 2012, 08:42   #512
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post
So the Indivision AGA MK2 A1200/A4000T can do 100Hz in PAL, but can it do 120Hz for NTSC? Serious question. I am going to compare it with the PicassoIV which can do that (but which can't do all Amiga screenmodes :/ ).
It won't be able to display these modes with the first release, but 120Hz NTSC is technically possible, yes (it has the same performance requirements as 100Hz PAL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post
Earlier in this thread you mentioned that it will be limited to 135MHz due to the DVI encoder not able to handle higher without overvoltage. Is there a possibility to not enforce that limit (no overvoltage of course!) for those of us who will be using a DVI-I-VGA adapter as you mentioned it was no problem for analogue, or would that cause problems for the board? Note that I do have a 1920x1200 screen
Trouble is that the DVI-encoder also handles D-A conversion, so the PLL is for both at the same time. The 135MHz pixel clock limit is already 88% over the old MK1 design, and your desired 120Hz NTSC mode only requires 114.5MHz pixel clock. We don't even have a source for 1920x1200, so what's the point of pushing the chip to limits that we won't need anyway?

Jens
Old 29 March 2012, 12:50   #513
amigakit.com

@Calgor

Thanks for the pre-order.

We have re-enabled the pre-order button.
Old 29 March 2012, 14:01   #514
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
It won't be able to display these modes with the first release, but 120Hz NTSC is technically possible, yes (it has the same performance requirements as 100Hz PAL).

Trouble is that the DVI-encoder also handles D-A conversion, so the PLL is for both at the same time. The 135MHz pixel clock limit is already 88% over the old MK1 design, and your desired 120Hz NTSC mode only requires 114.5MHz pixel clock. We don't even have a source for 1920x1200, so what's the point of pushing the chip to limits that we won't need anyway?

Jens
I have preordered one as it fits my needs with the 100Hz PAL and DVI-I and fits the A4000T

Ah yes I thought NTSC 120Hz should be possible.

Regarding the 1920x1200 resolution I thought maybe AGA could do 1920x1200 at *very low* scan frequencies so perhaps Indivision could up that to 31KHz and 50Hz? In the same way (but more extreme) as for HighGFX mode so it can run on most LCD monitors. My 1920x1200 LCD monitor goes down to 24KHz and almost 40Hz on some screenmodes (but frame rate only smooth at 60Hz) so it may not need as much juice. Of course I could well be mistaken on AGA's capabilities there.

However, it would be great if there was a way we could make our own custom output screenmodes ourselves for a given input, but I suppose that would be asking too much on an already unbelievable device?
Old 29 March 2012, 16:25   #515
kipper2k

Here's my schematic for the HDMI adapter board, feel free to check it out to see if i have made any errors. The adapter is taking its input directly from the 20 pin header that Jens has specified he is using. The Audio header is a simple 2 pin header (taking advantage of 2 unused pins from the cable, plus one of the existing ground pins) that you can tie in if you are using a modded HDMI cable.
The actual board itself will be the same size as my previous vga board and will be able to be mounted using 2 holes. (taking advantages of holes already in the A1200 motherboard).

http://kipper2k.com/indihdmi.pdf
Old 30 March 2012, 02:41   #516
magnetic
Banned

Thanks kipper I love your hw projects for amiga!
Old 30 March 2012, 02:42   #517
magnetic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post

What would be an advantage to running 120hz NTSC?
Old 30 March 2012, 06:03   #518
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post
What would be an advantage to running 120hz NTSC?
Smooth scrolling without the flicker.

PAL native is 50hz which is too low for some monitors, to get really smooth scrolling you need a whole number multiplier (eg 2x)

NTSC native is of course 60hz.

I think only CRT's support 100hz input though, most LCD's prefer 60hz
Old 30 March 2012, 10:28   #519
d0pefish

Do we know of any LCDs that support 50Hz over DVI?

Most of the LCDs I've come across so far will only sync down that low on the VGA input. I have an Eizo M1700 on my Amiga 600 with Indivision ECS, and whilst it has a perfectly smooth-scrolling display that fills the screen beautifully on the VGA input, it won't go that low on its DVI input.

Not that it matters too much, it's hard enough finding a LCD that takes 50Hz at all, but I'd be very interested in finding a monitor that did - it would be nice to have a clean digital output without any ghosting or imperfections, which the ECS was prone to if you used the ribbon cable (I made a cable out of twisted pair CAT5 to connect the Indi to a VGA header and that solved it for me).
Old 30 March 2012, 11:45   #520
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0pefish View Post
Not that it matters too much, it's hard enough finding a LCD that takes 50Hz at all, but I'd be very interested in finding a monitor that did..
[ Show youtube player ]