English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 August 2009, 10:28   #41
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I'm not.

Just read what the devs are saying. Carmack of ID said openly that he had to cut the PS3 RAGE 3D engine back to get it to 60fps which the 360 was easily doing with full effects.
Dear oh dear.

No he never. What he said was the PS3 version didn't CURRENTLY run at 60hz (He never said they had to cut it back, he did say they had to cut some of the game but that was because of the DVD limitation on the 360 nothing to do with the PS3 - They had to cut some parts and make it into 3 sections so it will fit on 3 DVDs), and later he added ALL versions would look IDENTICAL and run at 60hz.

See what I mean about your sources... only giving you half the story.

Carmack also said the advantage CELL gives over the 360s CPU makes the systems about equal considering all hardware. 360 has a better GPU, PS3 has a better CPU (that can do graphical tasks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Me too. The only 3 I can think of (which are PS3 only titles) are : Uncharted, MGS4 and Ratchet & Clank? Not sure about best looking as I have neither console, nor a HDTV. But colleagues do.
See, not even the three I'm thinking of so the list is obviously bigger than I though. You can add Little Big Planet, GT5 Prologue and Killzone 2 to the list.

If the PS3 was so bad how the devil does it manage to hold a monopoly on the best looking console games I wonder.....

Quote:
I'm not doubting that the power is there. I'm saying the devs are not currently using it. Especially on multi-platform titles. And it is an expensive chip. Lets see what unfolds, but my bet is on they consider switching to a cheaper, easier to program architecture, with more GRUNT next time.
No they won't. The difference on multiplatform games now is very small for the most part, the differences come when it's a devs first game on the PS3. Assassins Creed 2 for example was running far better on the PS3 at E3 when it was shown. Obviously there are some that just don't have the resources to spend time on the PS3 version, but for the most part it's pretty much even (if the devs have at least one PS3 game in their history)

I think the only complaint about PS4 will probably come if Nvidia give Sony another GPU that is clearly the weak link again.

If for example it had a CELL2 with a couple of cores and 16 spus and a 295 GTX derivitive with some on board eDRAM, large enough to store a full 1080p frame for this mythical "free AA" the xenos promised (10mb ain't enough)

Anyway, lets just say I think CELL is here to stay and you don't and leave it at that, no point arguing about it.

Also, I am getting a slim because although my PS3 is virtually silent during game play it does get have an aduible hum after about half an hour of watching a 1080p film.

Last edited by Ian; 26 August 2009 at 10:39.
Old 26 August 2009, 10:56   #42
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
If the PS3 was so bad how the devil does it manage to hold a monopoly on the best looking console games I wonder.....
The worst selling and the biggest loss making too.

We'll just agree to disagree and see what the future holds.
Old 26 August 2009, 11:46   #43
Ian
Global Moderator

Really?

You think the PS3 has lost more than the billion MS has lost on the 360?

You are a crazy guy.
Old 26 August 2009, 11:47   #44
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

OH DEAR GOD, STOP IT NOW.

please.
Old 26 August 2009, 11:48   #45
BippyM
Global Moderator

Guys it really doesn't matter does it... I know a lot of people who are devout 360 users, a lot who are devout PS3 users and a handful who have actually sold their 360's for PS3!!

I have a PS3 and will not get a 360. I don't know or care if the PS3 is more popular, I do know that the PS3 section in my local Tesco is now bigger than the 360 section, as it is in my local HMV (Nottingham now that I have moved out of Derby).. Does this have any bearing on the 360 and homebrew???? No it doesn't let's get back on topic and discuss 360 homebrew... If you want to discuss the merits of either system please take it to OT!

Love ya's
Old 26 August 2009, 12:10   #46
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

How about just ditch the consoles and use "real" computers for homebrew or just buy a console that is specifically designed for homebrew

To be honest getting homebrew to run "properly" on most consoles is just a pain in the ass.... why bother when it can be run fine on a PC without much tweaking needed? As for the whole PS3 vs X360 thing.... they are both great and crap at the same time
Old 26 August 2009, 12:26   #47
Big-Byte
Long time member

Ive got both a PS3 and Xbox 360.. Dont use either for online gaming.. (only games I play online are Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 on my PC and only play about twice a year when my mate gets eveyone together and organises a session)

PS3 is great for iplayer and streaming divx from my PC.. I understand the xbox 360 can do this too but as I dont have a wireless adaptor for it Ive never taken it online.

My xbox 360 cost me £40 from a bootfair with 3 games (which I sold for £40). Even though the guy said it was working it had the RROD so quick call to M$ and it came back 3 weeks later fully working

My PS3 effectively cost me £80 due to the amazing deal that game had about 6 months back where they were giving you £25 credit for every 2 DS games you traded in.. Between the bootfairs and CEX, in one morning I managed to aquire approx 36 DS games for about £120 (average £3 each)
and traded them in at game for about £500 and used that to buy my PS3 and still have about £100 credit left over ready for this Christmas

Both machines have good games but I dont really follow whats coming out and which console has the prettier gfx. I tend to buy my games as and when I find them at the bootfair (got Pacific Rift for PS3 for £7 last week and secondhand xbox 360 games are so common I never pay more than £5 nowadays). My wife buys 'full price' games for me for birthdays and xmas and thats about it.
Old 26 August 2009, 12:44   #48
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Faulty 360s are dirt cheap (30 pounds) and are very easy to fix if you buy one with the correct error such as E74.

New lasers and also very cheap, around a fiver.

Plus the the older faulty consoles have MS25 drives. Perfect for some iXtreme.

Although having to pay for Xbox Live does suck.
Old 26 August 2009, 13:59   #49
keropi

the ONLY thing that the PS3 offered sony was the dominance of the Blueray against the HD-DVD. Except from that the ps3 was a disaster for them, that can be seen in sony's economical figures.
There are WAY TOO MANY people out there that got the ps3 only for it's blueray capabillities (I have 3 friends here that did exactly that) and many more that look to sell their ps3's because they want to migrate to xbox360.
Once again, at a pure gamer's point-of-view , this round belongs to x360, as it is overal a better gaming system.
When I wanted a current-gen console, I just looked at the games and their availabillity: this time the xbox360 was clearly a winner for me and I went for it. No doubt the ps3 is a nice machine too, but it just cannot compete right now with the 360 and I doubt it will ever in the future...

ps. you might want to look at the Lens of Truth website, those ppl there compare unbiased games for both platforms... http://www.lensoftruth.com
Old 26 August 2009, 14:36   #50
Graham Humphrey

Please can we now get on-topic?
Old 26 August 2009, 15:22   #51
seuden
uber cool demi god

Most of the head2heads are won by 360, lol.

Tbh I could get by using my PC which is just a q6600, hd4850, 2 GB ram for all my emulation and media needs but there's just something about hacking a console to allow it to do stuff that it's originally not intended to do that pulls me in. I love my modded xbox and if the 360 could be modded and had the homebrew that my original has then it would obviously be capable of a LOT more.

In addition to all the features that a modded xbox1 has there would also be

HD streaming without limitations.
Dreamcast emulator?
PS2 emulator?
360 gaming.

Having all these features on my 360 that is already hooked up to my HDTV, is a nice compact unit with wireless controllers would be awesome. I wouldn't need a seperate xbox1 (currently in my bedroom), dvd player, pc (which for a decent looking one with a good spec would cost plenty of £) and my 360 all hooked up to it. The 360 would easily have the capabilities so I really can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to use it to it's max. It also being a price thing, ~£130 for a unit that would stream/play almost all video, supply all my needs for emulation, play 360 games is almost unheard of. Isn't it?
Old 26 August 2009, 15:34   #52
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

To try and get this back on topic..

I would love it if you could mod a 360 and it had anywhere near the awesome emu scene that the original xbox had. I'd be well happy

I still use my xbox all the time for emus/xbmc and would love another cheap upgrade
Old 26 August 2009, 15:39   #53
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
To try and get this back on topic..

I would love it if you could mod a 360 and it had anywhere near the awesome emu scene that the original xbox had. I'd be well happy

I still use my xbox all the time for emus/xbmc and would love another cheap upgrade
Wait until the next gen of xbox is released... then the 360 will no doubt become an amazing homebrew platform after MS has abandoned it Although i do hope they don't drop the 360 as quickly as they did with the original Xbox!
Old 26 August 2009, 15:40   #54
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Hehe, I can wait

Original xbox is more than powerful enough to be a great emu box, it's just the movie side of it which is looking a little long in the teeth
Old 26 August 2009, 15:44   #55
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Hehe, I can wait

Original xbox is more than powerful enough to be a great emu box, it's just the movie side of it which is looking a little long in the teeth
I think it will be worth the wait.... running Dreamcast, PS1, PS2 and Saturn games on another console "smoothly" could become a reality
Old 26 August 2009, 15:47   #56
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Having that would be awesome
Old 26 August 2009, 15:53   #57
seuden
uber cool demi god

Agreed.
Old 26 August 2009, 17:16   #58
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The linux bootloader for XENON chipsets has been released. I imagine that (for those who didn't update their boxes or can get one not yet updated in the factory) something good is coming soon and this hack is not going to languish in no-man's land.

Also the official XDK has been leaked which may or may not accelerate development. There is some reluctance to use it so as to be able to make all products freely available (i.e. no more xbins)
Old 02 August 2011, 21:28   #59
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Well well well.

I just revived an old 360 I was given for free from rrod, manufactured 2006-06-15, and guess what...
It's on dash 2.0.7371.0
JTAG here I come.
Old 02 August 2011, 21:50   #60
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Let us know how you get on.

A lot of of the xbox homebrew scene have jumped to PS3 as there are simpy more of the CFW 3.55 than JTAG xbox.