English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 22 July 2007, 22:46   #1
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
68020 and cycle-exact

Hi, there seems to be a bug with CD32 Emulation. In the past i have never had any problems running any CD32 games, disc's.

I not sure which version introduced the problem, but it isnt in the versions before 1.0.

Basically, if you select CD32 from configuration, then set CPU Cycle Exact, then click start, it crashes back to desktop, with no error log. I have tried various configs, disabling and enabling options, but only when CPU Cycle Exact is on, it crashes.

I only noticed it, cause i wanted to play my original of Microcosm (waits for flames but i like it). With Microcosm it will only work if CPU Cycle Exact is selected, well thats how its been when i lasted played it in WinUAE, which was either 2 releases before 1.0 or 1 before 1.0.

EDIT:- Been doing some testing, and it works fine in release before 0.8.27, After that they all do same thing, crash to desktop with no crash / error log.

Last edited by FOL; 23 July 2007 at 00:16.
Old 23 July 2007, 08:01   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

moved from beta-thread.

Quote:
Allowed posts in beta thread (not yet posted):

- bug reports but make sure bug is NOT in previous offical version. (Old bug -> separate thread)
Quote:
Hi, there seems to be a bug with CD32 Emulation. In the past i have never had any problems running any CD32 games, disc's.

I not sure which version introduced the problem, but it isnt in the versions before 1.0.

Basically, if you select CD32 from configuration, then set CPU Cycle Exact, then click start, it crashes back to desktop, with no error log. I have tried various configs, disabling and enabling options, but only when CPU Cycle Exact is on, it crashes.
It has nothing to do with CD32. Cycle-exact has never been supported in 68020+ modes (it is only debugging help, it may or may not work)
Old 23 July 2007, 12:23   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Is this because you would have to emulate cycle-accurate the behaviour of the i-cache?

I imagine this is very hard as it would be almost totally undocumented.
Old 23 July 2007, 18:26   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Is this because you would have to emulate cycle-accurate the behaviour of the i-cache?
That is one very difficult problem with AGA Amigas, also emulating it (as close as possible without documentation) would slow down CPU emulation too much.

And of course JIT is totally incompatible with all emulation "compatibility" modes.

btw, one 68020 "cycle-exact" freeze will be fixed in next beta but it is still totally unsupported feature.
Old 23 July 2007, 22:10   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
That is one very difficult problem with AGA Amigas, also emulating it (as close as possible without documentation) would slow down CPU emulation too much.

And of course JIT is totally incompatible with all emulation "compatibility" modes.

btw, one 68020 "cycle-exact" freeze will be fixed in next beta but it is still totally unsupported feature.
Oh, ok, just thought I would point it out. As I said never had problems with anything CD32 disc wise using the default config, it was only Microcosm that needed it.

I just thought it was odd, it worked fine previously and now i cant even use that option. I dont use JIT normally, only use if im making boot disks for pspuae.