English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 15 January 2022, 08:25   #1
drHirudo
Amiga user

Ziggurat interactive acquires select titles of innovative studio rainbow arts

Ziggurat Interactive, publisher of multi-platform retro and modern games, announced today they have closed a deal with Rainbow Arts, a popular game developer and publisher from the '80s and '90s. As part of the agreement, #zigguratinteractive now owns more than 80 titles from the Rainbow Arts catalog, including Rendering Ranger R2 (known as Targa outside North America), Logical, Lollypop, X-Out, and M.U.D.S. – Mean Ugly Dirty Sport.

"We are incredibly pleased to add a number of significant games from Rainbow Arts to Ziggurat's growing catalogue of historic games," said Michael Devine, SVP of Business Development at #zigguratinteractive. "Rainbow Arts was a premiere and iconic European video game publisher of the '80s and '90s. Each game released during that time frame – mainly made for the C64, Amiga, and #pc – evokes memories of 16-bit wonders, colorful graphics, and playful challenges the moment you see the rainbow logo appear. We can't wait to revitalize these games and share them with today's classic gaming fans."

Rainbow Arts Software GmbH was a German video game publisher based in Gütersloh, Germany, founded in 1984 by Marc Ullrich and Thomas Meiertoberens. Many of their games were originally released on the Commodore 64 (C64) and the Commodore Amiga, with later titles being created for, or converted to, the IBM-PC platform. The studio is best known for titles such as Logical, Lollypop, X-Out, and Mad TV™.

Rainbow Arts' most prominent release, Rendering Ranger: R2, is one of the most sought-after games for the Super Famicom, as only 10,000 copies were manufactured and were only available in Japan. As part of the agreement, Rendering Ranger: R2 joins Ziggurat's extensive library, and the company has promised an update on their plans for the title later this spring.
Old 17 January 2022, 14:36   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Interesting. Now I'm curious about the actual list of games. Probably not Turrican because otherwise they would have namedropped that one for sure.

Ah Logical. Time to fire that one up again. Always loved the mechanics in that game.
Old 20 January 2022, 18:10   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yeah, Eggebrecht wouldn't be that dumb to sell their Rainbow Arts crown jewels. But i highly doubt that we will see newer Turrican games at some point, no matter what modern platform.
Old 08 February 2022, 23:09   #4
Ijon_Tichy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Yeah, Eggebrecht wouldn't be that dumb to sell their Rainbow Arts crown jewels. But i highly doubt that we will see newer Turrican games at some point, no matter what modern platform.
Yeah, Turrican was my first thought when I read it's Rainbow Arts.

If Turrican hasn't been part of the deal indeed and considering this valuable asset is actually aging along with its potential audience, I wonder what the plans are.