Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 June 2010, 15:37   #41
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
NewDeli, you are a moron.
Morons don't judge others hastily, that's one thing I like about them. Patient people with traditional ways. Manhood is of the essence my friend. ahem
Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
why you mentioned 'sole use of cartridges'
I am reflecting on Nintendo evolution compared to Sony's, and decisions about how they stored their game data by the time the N64 was released inevitably come up.

Guys @ nintendolife.com put it nicely :

Quote:
After the amazing NES and SNES, people expected the N64 to run away with the industry and put Sony and Sega in the shade. It didn't happen. Nintendo decided to stick with carts while its rivals picked cheaper discs, and this not only put customers off but also made software houses think twice about supporting the system. Losing former ally Squaresoft was possibly the biggest blow to Nintendo's pride, and the company went on to produce the best selling Final Fantasy VII on the Playstation.

Having said all that, the N64 was home to gaming experiences that simply were not possible on rival machines. Games like Goldeneye, Zelda, Starfox 64 and of course Mario 64 were (and still are) solid-gold classics. With Virtual Console support, now is probably a good time to reassess this often misunderstood console.
PS2 plays PS1 titles and doesn't need any elaborated virtualization technique to achieve this, I believe due to the optical media versatility.
Wii may well play GC titles but fails at playing the whole Nintendo catalog (N64 most notably). The approach there has more to do with emulating in the proceedings and retro-gaming folks in the audience targeted at. Notable differences being :
a. I assume it's more difficult to know about VC progress as a project since I doubt the results are publicly shared
b. well, VC games comes at a price
Old 26 June 2010, 16:23   #42
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

You really need to learn about efficient use of language.

Then you might actually get your point across in less than 18 pages.
Old 26 June 2010, 16:34   #43
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Then you might actually get your point across in less than 18 pages.
If there ever was one to begin with.
Old 26 June 2010, 17:13   #44
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Why bother with a shitty emulator, anyway..
It's not a bad emulator actually. In a few years, it might well allow playing many more titles with feats such as HiRes textures packs, shaders...

As Tero said, GC games look great on a monitor (even via YouTube to some extend), whether games from this generation should be played exclusively on the real thing is debatable IMHO.
I would bet a few guys here enjoy an N64 quickplay or two with Project64.
Just give it a few more years (or continue to ignore it, the choice is yours).
Old 26 June 2010, 17:44   #45
stefcep2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
I don't get what you mean.
I mean multiplayer gaming in the living room with mates that come and visit you and you visit them in person as opposed to the whole online gaming/online "virtual" friends you never meet in person thing.

In my country one of the Wii's selling point is advertised as people getting together and playing multiplayer games in the living room. I'd say its been a fcator in its sales success.
Old 26 June 2010, 18:10   #46
stefcep2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDeli View Post
For me, playing PS1 games on a PS2 makes the PS2 worth owning for "console retro-gaming" (let's call it that way). Buying a GC just to play those few (admit it, its catalog is far from covering every genre) titles alone in my 'computer room" is not something I would be inclined to do (at least, not until the wii or its successor offers similar backward compatibility, if you get my point).
:
iIadmit it: there are less games available for GC. I don't know why that happened. i think there are about 600 games in the catalog. In my case I only miss PES not being available. PSE 6 is the only game I have for a PS2 I won in a lottery.

But there are some absolute gems for it, and built-in 4 player is great. For $20 its a terrific value console. Get a purple or black one, plug it in with SCART or component on a 16:9 screen and the graphics look great.

Interestingly when my son had his mates over, they brought their PS2's and XBOX's, but it was the GC that they always played.

I always felt that the GC shared some Amiga ideas: fast loading and writing to storage media, efficiency of resources, innovative software.

We don't own a Wii/XBOX 360/ PS 3 and i don't plan to either.
Old 27 June 2010, 00:47   #47
sneeker

Ive been playing about with it, got a few games upto yet, ordering a converter to use the gamecube controller with my pc as well.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?k...LuNqLjSCSk8rfg

That is a pretty good compatibility guide of gamecube/wii games with dolphin.
Old 27 June 2010, 02:11   #48
NewDeli
Banned

I am impressed with Dolphin progress, yet I think that list is quite optimistic to say the least. Such "Big hits" as Resident Evil 0, Tomb Raider or Metroids don't play fine here, and I have a decent enough configuration and adjusted settings.

Also, "ingame" doesn't necessarily mean the game is playable
e.g. the cutscenes cannot be skipped, hence one has to wait forever for the "ingame" moments bearing the smoother framerate.

Last edited by NewDeli; 27 June 2010 at 12:38.
Old 28 June 2010, 11:40   #49
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
I am hoping for Nintendo's next console to allow seamless playing of a few more GC titles (something probably made difficult because of the sole use of cartridges)
You do realise that sentence makes NO sense whatsoever. The Wii already plays all gamecube games perfectly, none of which are cartridge based.

Quote:
For me, playing PS1 games on a PS2 makes the PS2 worth owning for "console retro-gaming" (let's call it that way). Buying a GC just to play those few (admit it, its catalog is far from covering every genre) titles alone in my 'computer room" is not something I would be inclined to do (at least, not until the wii or its successor offers similar backward compatibility, if you get my point).
So you love the PS2 because it plays previous generation games....

But you are knocking the Wii because it plays previous generation games...
Old 28 June 2010, 11:52   #50
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDeli
I am hoping for Nintendo's next console to allow seamless playing of a few more N64 titles (something probably made difficult because of the sole use of cartridges)
fixed.
Old 28 June 2010, 12:06   #51
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Well we got there in the end. (at least the bit about cartridges anyway).
Old 28 June 2010, 13:14   #52
NewDeli
Banned

If the GC had succeeded in making enhanced versions of each and every of their big hits (from their own franchises, Mario, 007, Killer Instinct...), it would have been easier to forget about wii limitations in terms of playing N64 games.

Imho, only Mario Kart (and the Smash Brawl stuff) was a major and noticeable improvement over the N64 counterpart.
Old 28 June 2010, 13:36   #53
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I would much prefer new games to enhanced versions of old games, so I'm glad Nintendo didn't spend a load of money enhancing older games.

If you want to call it a limitation of the Wii that you can't play cartridge games on it then so be it, but that's a different topic of conversation
Old 28 June 2010, 13:52   #54
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
If the GC had succeeded in making enhanced versions of each and every of their big hits (from their own franchises, Mario, 007, Killer Instinct...), it would have been easier to forget about wii limitations in terms of playing N64 games.
Hmm, you don't own either a GC or a Wii right? You just emulate them on your PC. How would you know about the limitations of playing N64 games on the Wii?
Old 28 June 2010, 15:11   #55
NewDeli
Banned

N64 emulation on the wii (wii64) is based on Mupen64, and it's not endorsed or supported by Nintendo AFAIK.
cf. http://emulatemii.com/wordpress/?page_id=33
Old 28 June 2010, 15:13   #56
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

But you never played any games on a real Wii?
Old 28 June 2010, 15:19   #57
NewDeli
Banned

No, I didn't. I think they may well lost their soul with all the new marketing positioning, family oriented accessories, and easy as stamping on kittens games.
Old 28 June 2010, 15:24   #58
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Ah, okay. Hopefully someone with one can comment on how good/bad the emulation on 'the real deal' is then.
Old 28 June 2010, 15:39   #59
NewDeli
Banned

http://emulatemii.com/wii64/compatList
Old 28 June 2010, 16:05   #60
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

You do realise the virtual console emulates many N64 games perfectly right? right?