English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What is the preferred format for a new amiga game?
A500 39 37.50%
A1200 65 62.50%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11 March 2016, 20:12   #41
aszu
Registered User

aszu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Leeds
Posts: 96
i'd go for a 1mb a500 and later on, if possible, for a stock a1200
aszu is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 March 2016, 20:17   #42
Cylon
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Europe
Posts: 466
Yeah, dunno where this idea came from, a stock a500 has 1meg. Every good game back in the days needed a 501 expansion.
So, make it a A1200 with some megs FastRAM. ;-)
Cylon is offline  
Old 11 March 2016, 20:26   #43
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
@Akira

It's not about stuff not fitting in memory, but because Chip RAM really cripples the 020 speed-wise. The Fast RAM should be there not to allow for sloppy coding, but to properly take advantage of the A1200. That would make for spectacular stuff in the hands of proficient coders
Proficient coders can make spectacular stuff on Commodore 64s and Amiga 500s without add-ons, so if they need the extra RAM, they are not as proficient
There's many OCS/ECS limit-pushing games, but no AGA ones. AGA was short-lived and nobody really pushed the limits of the stock hardware too much.
Akira is offline  
Old 11 March 2016, 20:47   #44
DanScott
Registered User

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 217
I'd agree with Akira here

If I was going to do something for A1200, it would definitely be 2mb chip base machine.

Of course I would make something that is HD installable too, but I certainly wouldn't find it necessary to have any fast RAM to push the basic hardware to the max.
DanScott is offline  
Old 11 March 2016, 20:52   #45
McTrinsic
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 302
Does it have to be Aga??

When it's about more power please don't forget the ECS-folks with RTG.

I mean like a 020@25 with 2MB and 640xsomething might as well be an A2000 with accelerator and Piccolo gfx.

Cheers,
McT
McTrinsic is offline  
Old 11 March 2016, 21:19   #46
DanScott
Registered User

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 217
But the whole idea is I want to target either a base A500 (maybe with 512k extra memory that was pretty standard after 1989)

Or a base A1200

Accelerators and funky graphics cards just don't excite me like a copper & blitter & hardware sprites
DanScott is offline  
Old 11 March 2016, 21:33   #47
phx
Natteravn

phx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Herford / Germany
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Accelerators and funky graphics cards just don't excite me like a copper & blitter & hardware sprites
Right. Then development wouldn't feel much different to a standard PC game.

I vote for 500, because its limitations increase the chances to get the game ever finished. A technically perfect AGA game is certainly nice, but you will have a lot of work to fulfill all expectations there. Too many projects fail, because they wanted too much.
phx is offline  
Old 11 March 2016, 22:01   #48
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,287
And phx is a great example of someone making cool stuff that runs on A500! Follow his example and don't fall easy prey to RTG, accelerators, Fast RAM and other unnecessary flashy things Stick to stock hardware, make it run there or don't bother.
Akira is offline  
Old 11 March 2016, 22:15   #49
Cylon
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Europe
Posts: 466
Doesn't sound like a real challenge to me making the 5000th A500 game, done by a pro, especially everything is known to the bone of this machine. AGA on the other hand might have some tricks up its sleeve waiting to get uncovered. ;-)
Cylon is offline  
Old 11 March 2016, 22:19   #50
Gzegzolka
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Warszawa / Polska
Posts: 1,027
First of all - I use winuae, so I do not mind if will be for A500 or A1200 as long as I could buy it and play from adf files. You should pick what You like and what You are good at, so You will know You could finish it. Asking on forum is good idea, but You should remember how diverse community is here and that You will not fulfill everybody wishes (simple - it will be too much).
I think that Tanks Furry is good example that there are still people interested in new high quality amiga games. And whats more important - they could pay for it (it's still to early to have information how much units they sold - but I'm very interested).
My favorite option would be game for A500, but with option to detect extra ram for more details, or game for standard A1200.
Gzegzolka is offline  
Old 11 March 2016, 22:20   #51
ajk
Registered User
ajk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 939
@Akira

Again, it's not about the amount of RAM, it's the type of RAM. 1MB of Chip and 1MB of Fast would be interesting but it's an unusual setup for an A1200.

Naturally all of this is just an opinion but if the A500 is considered with a RAM expansion, then the A1200 ought to be also. Otherwise why not target the A1000 with the bare 256k, that should certainly be a challenge, and a rather unexplored avenue
ajk is offline  
Old 11 March 2016, 22:24   #52
saimon69
Bedroom musician

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 699
To me the potential of a stock OCS/ECS machine but with the addition of an hard disk has been barely scratched!
saimon69 is offline  
Old 11 March 2016, 22:33   #53
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
but if the A500 is considered with a RAM expansion, then the A1200 ought to be also.
That's only because 1MB became standard, but 4MB Fast RAM never did, so there's no reason to include it.
I know you were talking about speed and not quantity.
Akira is offline  
Old 11 March 2016, 22:38   #54
Amigajay
醉拳
Amigajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 1,529
I think make it for the CDTV with 2mb ram expansion and joystick adaptor only, and users with black caddys, none of these beige owners! ;-)
Amigajay is offline  
Old 11 March 2016, 22:39   #55
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 45
Posts: 10,745
What Action genre exactly, Dan? A Shmup or a Run'n Gun game? Both would be great though i would prefer the latter. Something like Contra Hard Corps but even more polished.
Retro-Nerd is offline  
Old 11 March 2016, 23:57   #56
crazyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gravesend - UK
Posts: 408
I wonder how many people now run unexpanded A1200s?
(Its not a pointed question, I am actually interested in the answer).

With the availability of aca1221s for example, the use of CF hard drives for WHDLOAD (which then pretty much requires 4 meg fastram minimum), and the expandability of the a1200, I would expect most to be running at least a slightly expanded a1200.

If anticipating this did not benefit the game however, then as has been said, just go for base spec, but if it meant something extra could be achieved, I dont think 4 meg of fastram is unrealistic.

But has also been said, do whatever YOU want. I am just pleased to see people writing and releasing new games for my miggy!

And in answer to the original question, I vote a1200 if it allows you to produce something noticeably better/more interesting.
crazyc is offline  
Old 12 March 2016, 01:16   #57
JudasEZT
Registered User
JudasEZT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: mercury
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Right. Then development wouldn't feel much different to a standard PC game.

I vote for 500, because its limitations increase the chances to get the game ever finished. A technically perfect AGA game is certainly nice, but you will have a lot of work to fulfill all expectations there. Too many projects fail, because they wanted too much.
Thats exactly my point of view.

An specific game for a plain A1200 game would be very interesting to see. Yet maybe would provoke the design be less focused and less retro.. chances of finishing would decrease if the goals get diffused.. thats the voice of experience.

At this moment, something upper to a A1200 I think is not very interesting nor really Amiga-retrogaming stuff. Maybe in future times will be, who knows.
JudasEZT is offline  
Old 12 March 2016, 02:07   #58
eXeler0
Registered User

eXeler0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sweden
Age: 43
Posts: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
That's only because 1MB became standard, but 4MB Fast RAM never did, so there's no reason to include it.
I know you were talking about speed and not quantity.
Well...First ever AGA Amiga the world saw shipped with the following specs: 040 CPU, 2MB Chip 4MB FastRAM. ��

Anyway, this discussion is quite irrelevant. The important thing is that the Dev can find the strength and motivation to finish the project. As we all know, starting projects is real easy, finish a polished, fun game that pushes the hardware to its limits.... is rare and will require the Dev to "walk the extra mile". EDIT: --> (Whatever target platform he chooses for his project) <--
But just out of curiosity, you say this a lot; that AGA games have barely scratched the surface of what's possible.. What magic is it you envision when you repeat this..
What is it about games like SlamTilt, SuperStardust, Banshee, Street racer, GeneticSpecies...etc.... that barely scratch the surface of what a vanilla A1200 can do?

Last edited by eXeler0; 12 March 2016 at 03:10.
eXeler0 is offline  
Old 15 March 2016, 19:09   #59
Meshuggah
1200 gamer

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Paris, France
Age: 40
Posts: 34
I you are after the widest audience, go with a basic 500 with expansion RAM. That's the most common hardware around due to the amount of units being sold back in the day.
Your game could still be hdd installable and take advantage of aga if available, nothings impossible.
Meshuggah is offline  
Old 15 March 2016, 21:49   #60
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ireland
Age: 40
Posts: 652
Many of us have a1200's too- its the aga machine of choice as its the most affordable-
Stock a1200 gets my vote; if that proves to be too much work then aim for a 1 meg A500.
Adrian Browne is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AGA Games on ECS/OCS Computers fondpondforever Retrogaming General Discussion 16 30 July 2015 07:23
Mad Crash Racing for Amiga OCS/ECS/AGA DDNI Amiga scene 10 20 February 2015 17:16
AGA Upgrade for ECS/OCS Games? slowtide project.Amiga Game Factory 3 03 December 2013 21:11
Using an LCD/TFT display with an OCS/ECS/AGA Amiga Photon support.Hardware 1 15 August 2009 01:28
ecs ocs games on aga memothejanitor support.Apps 4 16 June 2007 05:30

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.38768 seconds with 13 queries