English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 August 2009, 19:44   #161
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Well, The Last Ninja shows still a "bad name". But games like Gods and Elite works flawless now. Haven't tested the apps yet.
Old 16 August 2009, 20:02   #162
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Ah, yes a couple of the games are proving a little ticklish in conjunction with all the hacks attached to this install...
...a work-around for any such game is to boot the emulator holding down <Shift>. This will cause RiscOS to start in 'factory' mode - TLN will now work...
...I'll get to the bottom of this issue eventually but I've spent most of my time on this game trying to fix the graphic glitches in the cracked version. (nearly there)
<Shift>booting also gives a idea how much has been done to this install. Still, given that 3.1 was released in 1992 it still looks good.

You'll notice despite a fair few extras that the 1.0 archive is smaller than the 0.98. How? I deleted !Photodesk - still commercial software (oops) & I got tired of trying to make it work properly with OS3.1. (really a modern app)

!Boot has a new feature too (double-click on it). This will give you easier access to some of the extras - <Menu>clicking on most apps will give you access to the !Help file for said app...
...many of the extras won't be apparent just by looking @ the desktop.
Old 16 August 2009, 20:09   #163
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
...a work-around for any such game is to boot the emulator holding down <Shift>. This will cause RiscOS to start in 'factory' mode - TLN will now work...
Thanks for the hint, i'm a total Archie n00b. Works great.

btw: Is the APD Last Ninja dump the full original version? There are no graphic glitches in Arculator, but i can't pickup the items.
Old 16 August 2009, 20:43   #164
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

No probs - I haven't exactly documented this install well.

Press 'P' to pick up.
Old 23 August 2009, 23:29   #165
prowler
Global Moderator

RPCEmu 0.8.5 is now available here!
Old 06 September 2009, 21:31   #166
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Advice Please:

Hi chaps,
The Qube Server's had a bit of negative press recently - material contained on it that the owners weren't to happy about - oops.

To be fair said owners did have a point and I've done my best to bow to their wishes and remove stuff from public availability they weren't happy seeing...

-members personal folders of course remain unaffected-

...one contact in particular has been quite helpful in pointing out things that others may also take exception to - this includes the catalogue of Superior Software and Krysilis games on the server. His point being that some Acorn sites are still selling this stuff!
Now, to my knowledge the whole Acorn-Krysilis catalogue consists of direct ports from the Amiga and the vast majority of Superior Software titles exist on both Amiga and Acorn - ported in one direction or the other.

So here's my point, followed by two questions:

As all these games have been available for free download on Amiga, Atari, and Retro-PC sites for years. Why should the direct Acorn equivalents be any different?
(let's not get on to the subject of 'Acorn-originals' also largely available as ports to alternate platforms)

Can anyone for sure clear up where the Qube Server stands on this..?

Is anyone (who possibly runs an Amiga games resource) able to point me in the direction of contact details for any resource sites / authors / owners of IP to confirm their opinion regarding specific titles?

I have in the interests of being seen to be helpful moved said games out of the public server but with specific regard to the above software houses I'm not too pleased about doing so - I wonder what my fellow admis will say when they see what I've done..?
-sorry guys-
Old 06 September 2009, 21:34   #167
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Well, from the moment an IP owner says remove, then you have to remove. Doesn't matter the plateform it's on, it's their own rights.
Old 06 September 2009, 21:45   #168
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
As all these games have been available for free download on Amiga, Atari, and Retro-PC sites for years. Why should the direct Acorn equivalents be any different?
I don't know which games or sites you're actually referring to Charlie, but I think you're talking about something like the sites that host TOSEC packs or the like. That isn't legal, but since noone complains... Those games made public by the copyright holders themselves are of course a different topic. I would ask them for some proof that they hold the copyright or speak for those who do and then of course remove the files. On the other hand it might not be worth the hassle to get into a lawsuit for these games, so better remove the files either way.
Old 06 September 2009, 21:49   #169
prowler
Global Moderator

I think Denis's comment sums up the situation perfectly. If IP owners are objecting to your hosting their files, you're obliged to remove them. It's not negotiable.

Edit: It might be tempting to check their 'credentials', as TCD suggests, but I would advise you to show as much goodwill as you can, to encourage them to adopt a more relaxed attitude (toward the Qube server in particular) as soon as they feel they are able to.

Last edited by prowler; 06 September 2009 at 21:56.
Old 06 September 2009, 22:17   #170
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Thanks guys:

Yes, where IP owners have asked for material to be removed, it has been done - no argument, no problem, apologies.

The difficulty, so to speak is the likes of the Krysilis & Superior Software titles. We're talking about titles like Cannon Fodder, Chuck Rock, Gods, and Lemmings - all 1:1 ports from the Amiga. It seems a real shame that the Acorn versions could be buried when all other versions are freely available.

That's why I'd be interested in hearing what the position is regarding the many well-respected Amiga sites who host these games, and also any useful contact details.
Old 06 September 2009, 22:33   #171
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
It seems a real shame that the Acorn versions could be buried when all other versions are freely available.
If you're talking about sites like PlanetEmu, TheGamesArchives, WHDownload or our file server () the games are freely available, but it's not really legal. It's just because they aren't sold anymore and the IP owners don't care about it that these sites host the games. If the IP owners would complain about it the files had to be taken down (like the APC/TCP stuff) or the site is closed (given that they win a lawsuit, but that is most likely going to happen). If you mean another sites where the games are available with the permission of the IP owners (like BackToTheRoots) you could contact hippie2000 via eMail how he managed to get the permissions.
Old 06 September 2009, 22:41   #172
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Use a French site/ISP, they seem to be more "Retro Games" friendly.
Old 22 October 2009, 01:39   #173
MethodGit

Oh dear! I wonder if this is why Heimdall has now seemingly gone walkies from your server (having just checked it)?
Old 22 October 2009, 12:17   #174
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hi MethodGit,
Yes Heimdall's one of the casualties.

The news goes something like this:

All 4th Dimension games have been removed from the public server on the IP-holder's request.

On his suggestion I've also pulled the Superior Software & Krysalis titles pending clarification - I've not had any complaints about hosting these, so...
...members can still access these titles pending their (hopeful) return to the public server.

Do you want a member's account..?

FWIW: I'm trying (with the aid of the other admins) to be seen to be running a 'responsible server'. There's nothing to stop us hosting what we want regardless of complaints - the server is housed in it's own hardware, independent of any ISP. I could stick it in a box & post it anywhere else if necessary, and we would be most pleased to be mirrored...
...still, good will counts for a lot and we want to be seen (in time) as a useful resource rather than 'just pirates'. There's a fair bit of our own stuff on there too.
Old 22 October 2009, 15:03   #175
MethodGit

Well what else can I say but........... yes please! Hehe.
Old 22 October 2009, 15:22   #176
MethodGit

BTW, which places have been slagging you off? I did a search for Qube RiscOS on Google but it returned very few results, and the ones which did get listed were essentially linking back to this thread.

I'm starting to wonder how 4th Dimension found you in the end. It's not like you advertised your site everywhere is it?

EDIT: Hang about, I'm having trouble finding any sites in which 4D stuff is still being sold. According to one site they became APDL?... but when I looked on there I certainly couldn't see Heimdall anywhere in their catalogue (I don't know what other games are theirs so I couldn't check for those also). Considering how obscure that game is, it's insane for them to think they can just bury it even further via take-down notices!

Last edited by MethodGit; 22 October 2009 at 15:28.
Old 22 October 2009, 18:46   #177
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hi MG,
Take a look on the Qube Server's
The thread in RiscOS Scene/Linking or copying other peoples web sites explains all.

-Inexperience on my part: 'netiquette'
-People very keen to defend their rights

Yes, defending old material that's got (next to) no commercial value, especially when it's not available anywhere for purchase seems pointless to me...
...but then I'm not the owner.
In their 'defence' they have been very helpful in pointing out stuff that shouldn't be on the server - things that really are currently supported. The server's open to uploading from all members, the potential down-side being the difficulty in moderating the content.
Old 06 November 2009, 22:39   #178
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Just a quickie to say:

The Projects Page has had a few updates.
oh, and:
Content in the member's area of the FTP server can actually be downloaded now - oops!

More to come...
Old 07 November 2009, 11:21   #179
Tom Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
EDIT: Hang about, I'm having trouble finding any sites in which 4D stuff is still being sold. According to one site they became APDL?... but when I looked on there I certainly couldn't see Heimdall anywhere in their catalogue (I don't know what other games are theirs so I couldn't check for those also). Considering how obscure that game is, it's insane for them to think they can just bury it even further via take-down notices!
Heimdall is a Krisalis game, so the rights are held by R-Comp. The Krisalis Gold CD would seem to be a logical place to look, but on their site it's not one of the games on there - seemingly they don't have the rights from Core to sell it!
Old 24 December 2009, 00:05   #180
prowler
Global Moderator

RPCEmu 0.8.6 is now available here!