English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 08 June 2012, 15:07   #1
thomja

New and need to make this run!! coded in 1989

Hey

My teacher coded this game when he was very young! I wanted to try to make it run on my windows 7 PC and I have a general knowledge on computers but I have no idea on how to make this work!

Here is the game!

download: http://www.lysator.liu.se/sak/spel/Gamling.zip

Virustotal scan:

Code:
https://www.virustotal.com/file/9dfe2e24ae8d9dcc71071eca7200ef643b3a131ea9b3070d31031151bfc59f7d/analysis/1339158655/

Old 08 June 2012, 16:07   #2
thomas

There is a big problem with this archive: the archiver did not preserve the directory structure. You need to guess where each file belongs and there are many duplicate file names which makes it difficult to even unpack the archive without loosing some files.

Better you ask your teacher to recreate the archive with the proper options (preserve directory structure) or even better make ADF files from the original floppy disks.
Old 08 June 2012, 16:08   #3
s2325
Zone Friend

- unpack zip and lha file inside with 7-zip
- download WinUAE and kick31.rom, WorkBench31.adf
- load "quickstart" - "model A1200"
- "hard drive" - "add directory or archive" - select directory with your game
- "floppy drives" - DF0: Workbench31.adf
- press "start"
- wait
- double click on virtual hard drive icon
- press right mouse button, select "window" - "show" - "all files"
- double click on "amigabasic", press "ok"
- right mouse button "project" - "open"
- type "del ett", press enter
- right mouse button "run" - "stop", "run" - "start"

There may be more text games on this disk. In startup-sequence there is only script to load iff picture:

Old 09 June 2012, 04:01   #4
vidarh

Interestingly, according to a review of the game here:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/sak/spelin...PaAventyr.html

the game was written by a father and son team. It appears the graphics was done by the dad, who is an established artist at this point:

http://www.pixelpaintings.net/

His blog at http://pixelpaintingsblog.blogspot.co.uk/ even has another painting done on an Amiga, though he seems to have forgotten his earlier drawings (the game is listed as from 1989 and his blog says this image from 1991 was his first digital painting).

There's two more Swedish Amiga adventures by father and son here:
http://www.lysator.liu.se/sak/Amiga.html

Rest of the images from the game (converted to png):

Last edited by vidarh; 09 June 2012 at 04:13. Reason: Adding images
Old 15 June 2012, 19:32   #5
thomja

Where do i download the kick31.rom and workbench31.adf?

Ok i managed to get everything downloaded i think. the workbench was named wb31_w.adf when I got it but I still hope that its the right one but now I get this when I start and I have browsed through alot of the content but I stall cant find amigabasic??

anybody here that I can add on skype or msn perhaps? thanks a bunch!

Last edited by prowler; 15 June 2012 at 22:04. Reason: Fixed link to picture.

Old 15 June 2012, 20:49   #6
s2325
Zone Friend

Hard drive is not visible, try again.
Old 15 June 2012, 23:39   #7
thomja

I have restarted it several times but it is still not working! D:

Dunno whats wrong

Can't everyone just .rar all the required files? and tell me where to put them?

By now it feels like ive made 3 copies of everything at put it everywhere possible

Old 15 June 2012, 23:51   #8
s2325
Zone Friend

I think you have everything you need, just something wrong is with your virtual hard drive settings. As thomas said some games may not work because of lost directory structure.
Old 16 June 2012, 00:04   #9
thomja

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
I think you have everything you need, just something wrong is with your virtual hard drive settings. As thomas said some games may not work because of lost directory structure.
But you got it to work...

Old 16 June 2012, 00:13   #10
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, one or two games because I'm not sure which are Basic files, there are many of them.
Old 16 June 2012, 00:29   #11
thomja

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Yes, one or two games because I'm not sure which are Basic files, there are many of them.
Id love it if you could help me run 1 or 2 games at least

Old 16 June 2012, 13:41   #12
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
I've thrown together a bootable adf file to try. it looks like yor source files is a workbench with other files thrown/overwritten over the top so reasonably easy to know what files go where. Probably more files then needed on this disk as I dont know what is actually required to run the amigabasic games, but all that is needed is on the disk I believe. You can download the adf from the Zone
Old 16 June 2012, 20:57   #13
thomja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
I've thrown together a bootable adf file to try.
Ok great... WHERE!?!?

Quote:
I've thrown together a bootable adf file to try. it looks like yor source files is a workbench with other files thrown/overwritten over the top so reasonably easy to know what files go where. Probably more files then needed on this disk as I dont know what is actually required to run the amigabasic games, but all that is needed is on the disk I believe
Sorry but this makes no sense and opens more questions that it answers. Infact it does not answer any question...

Quote:
You can download the adf from the Zone
Where is the Zone? Link??? Cannot find it on this fourm... and ive googled alot

Old 16 June 2012, 21:15   #14
s2325
Zone Friend

It's here http://eab.abime.net/zone.php but you should also read http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=vb_...ezone_faq_item
Old 19 June 2012, 17:07   #15
pjhutch
Peter

If you come across a similar situation again, where a program will not run due to missing files or files not being in the right directories, run a program called Snoopdos which can log what is running and what it is trying to access. I will give a better idea than guessing where files belong.
Old 30 June 2012, 01:12   #16
MacUserX

AmigaBasic is A500 Software. It came with the Extras 1.3 from the Workbench 1.3. To run it on a workbench 3.1 you have to execute a shell-batch-file. it is long time ago that i see the batch, which corrects the underlaying problem of AmigaBasic with Kickstart 2.0-3.1. i dont read all the posts here, but there are a lot of stupid hints. i have the "Amiga Magazin" with the solution, but i dont know where. I'll try to find it and post the needed batch, but i cant promise anything. In case i find it, i'll post it here for you.

Old 30 June 2012, 02:24   #17
MacUserX

After viewing the archive, i can tell you it's all there what you need for the game. What you have to do is to run a workbench 1.3 with kickstart 1.3 and format a disk. there is a fastfilesystem-support in the archive but better to use OFS for the disk to format. After formatting disk, you have to make it bootable. Use the install command to do this. I don't remember the right usage it's something of this kind "install df0:". "Install ?" i think will prompt you how to use it correct. the developers of commodore do a very good work this time. I miss this correctness today very often. If the disk is formatted and bootable, you must only copy all the files in the archive to the disk (delete the *_1-Files, because that are duplicates you don't need) after copying you can boot the disk under kickstart 1.3. There is also a loadwb-command in the archive which is loaded by the startup-sequence. That means after boot the workbench inside will load, after an intro named sunrise(i think sunrise is only a picture). to skip the intro, delete the first line in the startup-sequence or put a semicolon as the first character of the line, so it won't be executed. it's interpreted as comment with the semicolon. After the Workbench is loaded you can run AmigaBasic by doubleclicking and load the Game. I only take a short look, so i don't can tell you which ist the right file, because your teacher didn't save the files with AmigaBasic's save as ASCII-feature, so the file are not readable with normal text-editors, but i think it should be one of the "bas00x.bc" files (not sure). good luck (to run it under kickstart 2.0 - 3.1 you need the batch-file to patch the AmigaBasic..i'll look for it)

P.S. my recommended configuration is 68000 more compatible, 512KB Chip-Ram, Kickstart 1.3, Workbench 1.3, no Fast-Ram and OCS..i'll test it tomorrow, i use an own version of Amiga-Emulator under Mac OS X snow leopard (10.6.5) and i think i'll get it runable. Maybe i can tell you more after.

One last thing. if you edit the startup-sequence, control the script-flag of the file after editing. it must be set.

Last edited by MacUserX; 30 June 2012 at 02:53.

Old 30 June 2012, 21:37   #18
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacUserX View Post
I'll try to find it and post the needed batch, but i cant promise anything. In case i find it, i'll post it here for you.
Thanks, MacUserX. I would very much appreciate that too.