English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 13 April 2010, 14:36   #1
adalsgaard

Pandora Game Map

Does anyone know whether it's possible to "rip" the entire game map from Pandora?

So far, I've managed to complete about 90% of the map just by exploring the entire ship, but there are areas (for example the agricultural area), where it's not possible explore thoroughly because it's impossible to get close enough to the unexplored area.

There's a map at http://hol.abime.net/1008/gamemap but it's definitely "manipulated", meaning large areas of space is just black background and the colors are wrong, bodies and items are missing etc.

Anyone?
Old 13 April 2010, 14:45   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

The HOL map has been reconstructed from game data and its tiles.

I'll check the colour palette used as it might be slightly incorrect. Some palettes do change in game though and it might be the case here.

The game seems to superimpose objects on the base map. The corpses, for example, extend over multiple tiles. Only the base map was ripped for the HOL map.

The areas of black space where stars should be are an accurate representation of the game's map data. Ripping whole maps sometimes reveals unfinished portions which aren't normally accessible to the player.
Old 13 April 2010, 15:01   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I'm vaguely recalling that Pandora was one of the games where the tiles had to be coloured manually because the colour palette couldn't be located. I'll confirm this later.
Old 14 April 2010, 11:54   #4
adalsgaard

Hi CodyJarrett.

Thanks for the info. It must have taken quite some time to make that map, having to colour every tile manually. I just made a screen dump one at a time and put it together in Photoshop.

I'm thinking that maybe the Action Replay feature in WinUAE could be used to change the coordinates of the character's position on the map; making it possible to "explore" areas that are unreachable playing normally? I know nothing about it, but maybe it's possible?

Also, is there a thorough walkthrough for this game? It's pretty easy to complete just by initiating the self destruct mechanism and escaping the ship. However, it would be cool to get the optimal rank ("Priceless"?) at the end. I suppose you have to solve every "puzzle", complete all possible trades etc., but I can't seem to find anything about the subject on the internet...
Old 14 April 2010, 12:23   #5
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Each tile only had to be coloured once. After that the map was generated from the tiles and map data.
Old 11 October 2011, 01:49   #6
Kroah

Quote:
Originally Posted by adalsgaard View Post
Also, is there a thorough walkthrough for this game? It's pretty easy to complete just by initiating the self destruct mechanism and escaping the ship. However, it would be cool to get the optimal rank ("Priceless"?) at the end. I suppose you have to solve every "puzzle", complete all possible trades etc., but I can't seem to find anything about the subject on the internet...
Sorry to bump this thread, but if you are still looking at this^, you may be interested.

Like you, i found very few information about this game and I was curious to find some hidden stuffs in this game and what each character wanted to trade. So few years ago i have disassembled the game.

You will find on my site a map annotated with each character scripts.
http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/Pandora/maps.php5

Concerning the score, I have found some things too but i need to dig a little. I can do this if you are still interested.

Cheers,
Kroah
Old 11 October 2011, 08:30   #7
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Cool maps! This was one of my favorite games
Old 11 October 2011, 09:55   #8
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@Kroah:

That site rules!

Are you still planning to do eg. Dragonriders of Pern reverse engineering? That is one of my favourite games
Old 11 October 2011, 10:05   #9
Kroah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
@Kroah:

That site rules!

Are you still planning to do eg. Dragonriders of Pern reverse engineering? That is one of my favourite games
Thank you.

Dragonriders of Pern reverse engineering is done. I only need time to write down the web pages. I will post a message on AtariAge when it's ready, but I want to work on the Cadaver section first.

FYI, It explains how negotiations and alliances are handled according to the character traits and the chosen behavior. Interesting stuffs imho. Too bad very few people know this game today.