English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 19 February 2019, 18:46   #1
stemil

Hyperion Amiga OS 3.1.4

Two questions.

Is it worth having?

Would it run well on a 1200 fitted with a Blizzard MKIV 030 and about 16mb of extra ram?

Ta'.
Old 19 February 2019, 21:00   #2
cloverskull

IMO, the support for bigger hard drives OOTB makes it worthwhile. The downside is that custom workbench packs from days of yore may not be immediately compatible, but after a bit of work, you should be good.
Old 20 February 2019, 00:24   #3
macphreak4evr

Send a message via ICQ to macphreak4evr Send a message via AIM to macphreak4evr
just got my roms for A2000 and the software was digital download from hyperion, roms were from amiga on the lake in NY 40$ for all, like it so far, but you have to always have a disk in drive for libs on media that doesnt have the 3.14 install on it.as the rom doesnt have workbench.library on it. and a few others.
Old 20 February 2019, 00:26   #4
macphreak4evr

Send a message via ICQ to macphreak4evr Send a message via AIM to macphreak4evr
oh larger HD? yeah only if your device supports certain critera, most of the old cards dont, my GVP impact2 and A4008 (kinda same card dif version) and my ExpSys ide do not support crap beyond 3.8gb, tried new cards, blah blah, even hdtoolbox with the scsi device name =gvpscsi.device or ExpSys.device , no dice. if someone knows another trick let me know!
Old 21 February 2019, 16:32   #5
Daedalus

Of course, the large hard drive support only applies for hardware drivers in the actual ROM, essentially the built-in storage controllers on Amigas. If you have hardware that requires its own drivers, there's no way the ROM can do anything about that. You can always try NSDPatch, as OS 3.9 used, which might help with the old drivers. But that needs to be loaded from the hard drive on boot.

As for needing a disk in the drive with the missing libs on it... They should be on your hard drive, which is always available. Having a hard drive is part of the requirements for 3.1.4 - if you don't have one, there's really no point in getting 3.1.4.
Old 23 February 2019, 03:42   #6
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Having a hard drive is part of the requirements for 3.1.4 - if you don't have one, there's really no point in getting 3.1.4.
I cannot remember seeing hard drive as a requirement anywhere? How "pointless" it is depends a lot on the user - many do not use Workbench, and so the lack of workbench.library and icon.library is a non-issue.
Old 23 February 2019, 09:02   #7
Mark sealey

After using OS3.1 on my A600 Furia for quite a few months i could never get a stable workbench......loads of lockups etc.....upgraded to OS3.1.4 and its if a fairy waved her magic wand......within a week i had my OS3.1.4 set up with a few patches and even the Maprom working....so yes i say i IS worth buying....Burnt my own Rom and away we go....!