English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. AMOS

Old 01 July 2016, 12:14   #21
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
DZ controls the speed AND the height! well literally it is the speed the player is moving upwards, if you jump faster you'll go higher, that's basic physics.

i generally stay away from floating point variables because they are very slow without an FPU. fixed point is easy to do, just divide Z by some power of two when you set the bob's position:

Code:
bob 1,X,Y-Z/8,FRM
for instance...
Yep that works too, thanks. I actually found that dividing the Z by 3 and setting the DZ to 18 gives a very nice height to speed ratio.

It doesn't seem to be causing any issues and I have it splitting off and working in sections now with different animations for straight up and up left/right depending on joystick input and their respective flipped versions.

There's a little issue with speed dips and peaks sometimes but I think it's because I'm using timers and a whole load of on/off variables to do the animations.

It works though so I'm happy at that. Plenty of time to chisel away at the extra marble!

Thanks for all the help. Felt like I've learned a lot in the last day!
Old 01 July 2016, 12:36   #22
idrougge

Quote:
DZ controls the speed AND the height! well literally it is the speed the player is moving upwards, if you jump faster you'll go higher, that's basic physics.
I would have used some kind of table, but in AMOS, every kind of datatype is quite slow.
Old 01 July 2016, 12:37   #23
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

btw it's better to divide by powers of two, the compiler will implement them as a simple binary shift which is much faster than a full divide operation. although this is AMOS so it may be a drop in the ocean... so you can scale it up to an appropriate ratio, for instance 18/3 = 1536/256, and 1/3 is approximately 85/256.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I would have used some kind of table, but in AMOS, every kind of datatype is quite slow.
simple physics is better than fixed animation sequences, you can have people knock you about mid air or any other combination of events.

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 01 July 2016 at 12:47.
Old 01 July 2016, 13:15   #24
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
btw it's better to divide by powers of two, the compiler will implement them as a simple binary shift which is much faster than a full divide operation. although this is AMOS so it may be a drop in the ocean... so you can scale it up to an appropriate ratio, for instance 18/3 = 1536/256, and 1/3 is approximately 85/256.
Cool I changed it back to /2 and fiddled with the numbers a bit and there's really bugger all difference to how I set it last so that's cool.
Old 03 September 2016, 00:18   #25
volvo_0ne

I wonder what happened to Brick Nash, I enjoyed his posts & the replies