English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. AMOS

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09 February 2018, 23:22   #1
volvo_0ne
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Sheffield UK
Posts: 259
AMAL as primary code...

Somewhere in the manual it says you can almost program a complete game in AMAL.

I got around to thinking about this, and have attempted to code a "space invaders" engine almost purely in AMAL and I must say that although it is a pain to keep track of things, and timing considerations are a headache, the results so far are quite fast and accurate.

Has anyone else tried such a project, and if so did you have much success?

see attached file (probably best with A1200 + Fastram)

It's a start, but could surely be improved ..

The game loop is...

Do
Synchro
Wait VBL
Loop

that's it!
Attached Files
File Type: lha AMALinvaders.LHA (37.5 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by volvo_0ne; 10 February 2018 at 01:50.
volvo_0ne is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 February 2018, 01:52   #2
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 3,814
Maybe Amiten
Brian bell did Seamore toy capers and got a lot of large Bobs on screen - I think he used alot of Amal
my experience you can get lots of large bobs on screen but is slower on 68000 with average size bobs.
For space invaders you could maybe just use paste bob would be fast but don't know how smooth.
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 14 February 2018, 23:02   #3
volvo_0ne
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Sheffield UK
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Maybe Amiten
Brian bell did Seamore toy capers and got a lot of large Bobs on screen - I think he used alot of Amal
my experience you can get lots of large bobs on screen but is slower on 68000 with average size bobs.
For space invaders you could maybe just use paste bob would be fast but don't know how smooth.
The point of my "space invaders engine" wasn't to make a game, but to see if it works in (as far as possible) AMAL only.

Because it's quick and quite friendly (at least more so than machine code, even with the headache of interaction)
volvo_0ne is offline  
Old 14 February 2018, 23:30   #4
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant
Predseda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The City of Townsville
Age: 40
Posts: 4,603
It works quite well!
Predseda is offline  
Old 14 February 2018, 23:55   #5
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 3,814
I thought it was a question it's obviously possible as it says so in the Manual and Amiten always uses it but if you want to do something interesting make it using Paste Bob.
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 16 February 2018, 01:00   #6
Amiten
Registered User
Amiten's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spain
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_0ne View Post
Somewhere in the manual it says you can almost program a complete game in AMAL.

I got around to thinking about this, and have attempted to code a "space invaders" engine almost purely in AMAL and I must say that although it is a pain to keep track of things, and timing considerations are a headache, the results so far are quite fast and accurate.

Has anyone else tried such a project, and if so did you have much success?

see attached file (probably best with A1200 + Fastram)

It's a start, but could surely be improved ..

The game loop is...

Do
Synchro
Wait VBL
Loop

that's it!

Congratulations that start in your space invaders is very good, it moves very well and also you have managed to break the barrier of the 16 objects by Amal deactivating the interruptions, I agree with you that if you deactivate the interruptions in amal it is a nightmare to carry the control of the timmings because Amal what is good is just that to move everything perfectly and in synchrony when the interruptions are activated with the handycap of limit to 16 objects at same time.

Here is an example of our space invaders that is a mix of Amal and Objets by Amos basic, good as a concept is not bad I think , although I like your gameplay more than ours, it would be great to make a mix of your invaders and mine, exchanging graphics , music and the codes just in case.

greetings and to continue with good work

our space invaders: http://amiten.es/?p=147
Amiten is offline  
Old 16 February 2018, 01:33   #7
volvo_0ne
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Sheffield UK
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiten View Post
Congratulations that start in your space invaders is very good, it moves very well and also you have managed to break the barrier of the 16 objects by Amal deactivating the interruptions, I agree with you that if you deactivate the interruptions in amal it is a nightmare to carry the control of the timmings because Amal what is good is just that to move everything perfectly and in synchrony when the interruptions are activated with the handycap of limit to 16 objects at same time.

Here is an example of our space invaders that is a mix of Amal and Objets by Amos basic, good as a concept is not bad I think , although I like your gameplay more than ours, it would be great to make a mix of your invaders and mine, exchanging graphics , music and the codes just in case.

greetings and to continue with good work

our space invaders: http://amiten.es/?p=147
Wouldn't it have been much better if you could do.........

Synchro (channel)?

or even Synchro (c1 To c2)


However that's not an option

Still a work in progress, and if anyone is interested, I'll post updates when I have something more to show.

Thanks for looking
volvo_0ne is offline  
Old 16 February 2018, 01:47   #8
Amiten
Registered User
Amiten's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spain
Posts: 466
in my case it was a tutorial and the game was created live from 0 in few days during the online viewing of the revision party of 2017. it came out as it came out.

the videos of the making
part1
[ Show youtube player ]

part2
[ Show youtube player ]

etc... there are 4 parts If no remember bad.

will be good to see more of your advances when are done . regards
Amiten is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Animating explosion without amal aszu Coders. AMOS 13 18 March 2016 00:33
More AMAL headaches.... volvo_0ne Coders. AMOS 0 23 February 2016 01:17
AmigaKit Named As Primary Channel Distributor amigakit.com News 61 02 September 2010 02:37
Only finds Primary Display Driver in 1.6.0 Photon support.WinUAE 13 17 June 2009 15:58

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.17243 seconds with 15 queries