English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 February 2013, 14:31   #541
luy32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
No chance, sorry. The trick with modern multi-core CPU systems is that each core has it's own address- and data bus (at least on the cache side), so CPUs can run indipendent of each other.

This Amiga setup is using a common address- and data bus for all CPUs. There is no bus arbiter, but only static signals that "shut up" the other CPUs, which is also the reason why any DMA device will not work (such as A570 or A590). A pass-through for the 86-pin slot will not work for the majority of devices, so there will be none.

Jens
now i get it
otherwise, until now, someone would "hacked" that..
interesting stuff we, the AMIGA users, are using DUAL CORE machines for a long time but sadly, only 1 core is used

it would be extra if the outer cpu can be used like copro ( fpu) ... but, not everything is possible ..
Old 06 February 2013, 23:50   #542
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Something for the A1000 with more ram in a neat case would certainly be welcome.
Old 07 February 2013, 01:31   #543
Mohican

@T_hairy_bootson

Just rename the ACA500 to ACA1000 ... the tall design is not bad for an A1000.
Old 07 February 2013, 12:06   #544
roy bates

although i like to see new products for the a500 i would prefer it was horizontal rather than vertical,its not a cosmetic reason i just dont want anything by the keyboard getting in the way.
is there anywhere else that cf card reader can be put?

also would this have a case on it?
Old 07 February 2013, 15:37   #545
Mohican

A vertical design would be perfect for A1000. So I think that's we can see on the prototype is an ACA1000 preview.
Many A500 owners would be happy an internal solution ... like aca620, completed 40/44 pin IDE connector, maybe cf slot.
Old 07 February 2013, 17:53   #546
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Although I am planning to use the design for the A1000 as well, I have something different in mind than just to make a different shape. I already wrote on a1k.org that it has to be a chipmem expansion as well, because there's only so few solutions for the good old A1K.

Jens
Old 07 February 2013, 18:29   #547
demolition
Unregistered User

I think most people wouldn't mind a chipmem upgrade (up to 2M) on the A500 as well.
Old 07 February 2013, 18:32   #548
Crumb

@Jens

this one looks much better! thanks! :-) Now I only need it to be compatible with my Blizzard1240 and I'll buy a pair :-D

Old 07 February 2013, 18:53   #549
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Crumb,

don't just look at pictures - the text that I posted with that on a1k.org is the more interesting part: It's not certain that this board shape is routable. There is no "general win" in such a flat design, other than looks. The cost of making another prototype is not just money, but another 3 weeks for routing and verification.

Jens
Old 07 February 2013, 19:31   #550
Crumb

Quote:
Crumb,

don't just look at pictures - the text that I posted with that on a1k.org is the more interesting part: It's not certain that this board shape is routable. There is no "general win" in such a flat design, other than looks. The cost of making another prototype is not just money, but another 3 weeks for routing and verification.

Jens
You could make the section that connects to the A500 slightly wider so the traces fit.

I think this design is easier to fit in a case, and perhaps slightly simpler to build (no long pins required to connect to the A500 side). It would probably leave more space for future expansions (Clockport cards, flashrom, USB2 or Ethernet in case you planned to release that kind of expansions).

For me having a jumper with the possibility of disabling all hardware (CF/RAM/68000) but the A1200 cpu slot would be perfect as I already have a scsi board.
Old 07 February 2013, 20:50   #551
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
For me having a jumper with the possibility of disabling all hardware (CF/RAM/68000) but the A1200 cpu slot would be perfect as I already have a scsi board.
You are assuming too much and not reading enough.

Whatever existing hardware you have for your 500: If it's not in the trapdoor expansion, it must be removed.

The 1200-connector can *only* be used for selected accelerators (currently only ACAC1231 and ACA1232). It cannot be used for memory expansions or other controllers.

Jens
Old 07 February 2013, 21:05   #552
Mr B

Quote:
The 1200-connector can *only* be used for selected accelerators (currently only ACAC1231 and ACA1232). It cannot be used for memory expansions or other controllers.
It should be noted that the intent from the start was to include support for "all" ACA12XX cards, and leaving it up to the end users to explore if other brand accelerators would work, or not. In the end it seams Jens had to cut ACA1230 support, and, as it was a very common question he tested a bunch of different popular accelerators from other brands, and could report that with very few exceptions they all behaved badly, or simply didn't work at all. Some here and there would run without memory, if i remember right, but in the end, it's probably not worth it. Jens is simply putting in loads of effort, trying to accomodate as many requests as possibly, and listening very closely to critics, tweaking stuff along the way. Quite frankly, it's upsetting in a way not expected. I don't expect to see anything happening with the software for my Indivision MKII until this thing is done, and out of his hair, so, in a way, i'm almost wishing he'd just get it over with, and start production.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that he's willing to reconsider, tweak a design based on user requests, but from where i'm sitting the ACA500 is actually useless, i only have one Amiga, a A1200, and my MKII just doesn't work with the telly it's supposed to be paired up with... I'm just hoping he gets a great product out the door, as soon as possible, so he can focus a bit on something actually helpful to me. Yeah, i know. Selfish b-tard. Sorry 'bout that.

Jens, keep up the good work.
Old 07 February 2013, 21:18   #553
dJOS

I think you summed it up well mr.B, disappointing and useless.

Jens, a500 owners want a proper expansion with at least an 020 and a decent amount of ram .... And internal is preferred.

Frankly the Zeus has ruled itself out for me too because I've been finding too many whdload games and Demos that were not tested on a500/a600's with 68k/68010's and as a result don't work.

I've just ordered an a1200 and I'll be buying an aca12xx for it tho as they tick all the boxes - shame the aca500 doesn't.
Old 08 February 2013, 01:24   #554
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
I think you summed it up well mr.B, disappointing and useless.
Now, that's not quite what i said. I can see a market for this, no doubt there.

Quote:
Jens, a500 owners want a proper expansion with at least an 020 and a decent amount of ram .... And internal is preferred.
Some, some wont. For some it's going to be more then enough with the hardware on this thingy, it will run most the WHDLoads of A500 games, especially if the maker is still around, and can tweak it a little.

Quote:
Frankly the Zeus has ruled itself out for me too because I've been finding too many whdload games and Demos that were not tested on a500/a600's with 68k/68010's and as a result don't work.
The Zeus is a interesting piece of kit, but it looks like they are going in a direction that is going to end up being overkill for what it is, and not being able to provide any extra value for what it got, so to speak. But indeed, your right. Not a whole lot of WHDLoads are tested on A500, for the simple reason that it's not really that easy to test on. A unexpanded A500 simply wont do, and anyone building a expanded platform up until now have been putting their cash on a A1200, for the simple reason they got more value for their money that way.
I'm quite certain the A500 will be a viable none AGA WHDLoad machine with both the ACA500, and the Zeus, as soon as people have had a chance to adapt their code.
Old 08 February 2013, 01:49   #555
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Now, that's not quite what i said. I can see a market for this, no doubt there.
You said this:

Quote:
but from where i'm sitting the ACA500 is actually useless,
Seems fairly clear to me.

yeah I know, context etc etc (I was being a bit naughty I know)

Quote:
Some, some wont. For some it's going to be more then enough with the hardware on this thingy, it will run most the WHDLoads of A500 games, especially if the maker is still around, and can tweak it a little.

The Zeus is a interesting piece of kit, but it looks like they are going in a direction that is going to end up being overkill for what it is, and not being able to provide any extra value for what it got, so to speak. But indeed, your right. Not a whole lot of WHDLoads are tested on A500, for the simple reason that it's not really that easy to test on. A unexpanded A500 simply wont do, and anyone building a expanded platform up until now have been putting their cash on a A1200, for the simple reason they got more value for their money that way.
I'm quite certain the A500 will be a viable none AGA WHDLoad machine with both the ACA500, and the Zeus, as soon as people have had a chance to adapt their code.
Im about to sell my pimped out a500+ because without an 020 there's too many WHDLoad compatibility issues - when I first heard about the aca520 (as it was then) I was very excited and while my preference is for internal I'd still buy a well designed external 020 a500 solution.

Due to all these issues with 68k/010 and WHDLoad I went and built a "more stock" a500 using a HxC RevC SD Floppy Drive, a 512kchip/512k slow ram and Toms 8mb Fast Ram which can be turned on and off via software. I'll also add a custom 1.3rom (w/ KS3.1 SCSI.device) and an CF-IDE68k from Mika for those multidisk adventure games that supported HDD installation.

My new a1200 (paid for today from Petro) will be my WHDLoad machine and I will buy one of Jens aca12xx products for that (havent decided which one yet).
Old 08 February 2013, 04:46   #556
klx300r

Quote:
Although I am planning to use the design for the A1000 as well, I have something different in mind than just to make a different shape. I already wrote on a1k.org that it has to be a chipmem expansion as well, because there's only so few solutions for the good old A1K.

Jens
YES YES YES more chip mem for my A1000 has been on my wish/dream list for a long long long long time please keep us posted Jens.
Old 08 February 2013, 10:19   #557
Crumb

Quote:
You are assuming too much and not reading enough.

Whatever existing hardware you have for your 500: If it's not in the trapdoor expansion, it must be removed.
I own a Blizzard 1240 with scsi kit, that's the reason I wouldn't need any CF controller.

Quote:
That's the problem and that's the reason I'd like to have a jumper to disable all ACA500 goodies with the exception of the A1200 cpu slot: I already have A1240+scsi kit, I don't need ACA500's CF/RAM/68000/ROM, I just need a working A1200 cpu slot.
Old 08 February 2013, 10:42   #558
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
That's the problem and that's the reason I'd like to have a jumper to disable all ACA500 goodies with the exception of the A1200 cpu slot: I already have A1240+scsi kit, I don't need ACA500's CF/RAM/68000/ROM, I just need a working A1200 cpu slot.
I don't think the 'goodies' are the cause of the slot not working with your 1240. It's not just a passive adapter, and many hacks are probably needed to make it work even with the ACAs.
Old 08 February 2013, 11:02   #559
Calabazam

Quote:
I own a Blizzard 1240 with scsi kit, that's the reason I wouldn't need any CF cont.
I already have A1240+scsi kit, I don't need ACA500's CF/RAM/68000/ROM, I just need a working A1200 cpu slot.

Actually, you just need what we call an A1200...
Old 08 February 2013, 11:54   #560
demolition
Unregistered User

Maybe one could even squeeze an A1200 MB into an A500 chassis (with a few modifications in the back) if you just like the look of the 500.