English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 September 2007, 16:04   #1
elmasta

Upgrading my resurrected A600 for networking

Ok now that I ressurrected my A600 I am thinking how to expand its specs.

Mine is a stock 1mb no hd A600. Up until now, I managed to add a 3.5" 1.2Gb IDE hard disk, and also I converted an ATX PSU which feeds the amiga and the HD.

I have installed ClassicWB GAAE Wb (2.1) which I think is GREAT!

But I am kind of short on memory, so, I ordered an 1Mb trapdoor expansion and a 3.1 kickstart for better compatibility with newer programs.

My objective now is to network my Amiga...
I can buy this

(COR-PCCL-11) wifi card, it has the prism chipset I think, and is not cardbus, the specs say PCMCIA release 2.1

Anyone had any experience with wifi on low end computers, do I need an accelerator? will I be able to access network shares using smb protocol (windows shares)
Old 27 September 2007, 16:47   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@elmasta

Oooo upgrading... i love the sound of that.

the 1MB chip memory upgrade will really open up some of the games for 2MB total.

You can use AMITCP or Termite, there small TCPIP stacks that will work okay with the A600, the only problem is the applications on top can get quite memory hungry!

Black IRC or IRC's in general should be okay, AmigaExplora in conjunction with SAMBA as well should work okay... it will be a little slow..

But unless you have a serious memory or cpu upgrade (wich there are only 3 types at the moment) most web-browsers are off limmits...

I have been thinking of building a full WAP browser for the miggy as this would be quite small, but we shall see.

the methods open available

1. 020 / 030 CPU upgrade
This come with 4 to 32MB of ram... rare and expensive (the cheapest £55 - £130 current fleabay prices)

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/search....&base=dec&pid= is pretty much the lot.

2. PCMCIA SRAM
expensive if you can find it, i managed to score my 4MB card for £20 at the time and that was VERY cheap, but this method is totaly impractical with PCMCIA network cards (unless you can figure out how to make two PCMCIA ports on the miggy)

3. I have been working with some really cool people here trying to develop open-source hardware..

have a lookie here....

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=31563

with the help of Narmi and a few others we have developed a Chip Package Changer so the A600 could use some A500 Upgrades, as well as 14Mhz upgrade module.

At present its just realizing hardware designs from aminet and revising them, where my emphasis is on the A600 theres no real stopping there.

My main hope is that it helps to develop a 4/8MB (this can be done in 74xxx logic) Ram board for the Amiga A600 obviously this could continue even further to my ultimate dream of an MC68060 @ 66mhz with 64MB of fast ram and 2MB chip.... i think with all the 6's we can see where its going

A666 Diablo... Mmmmmmm yummy.....
Old 27 September 2007, 20:08   #3
elmasta

@Zetr0

Quote:
You can use AMITCP or Termite, there small TCPIP stacks that will work okay with the A600, the only problem is the applications on top can get quite memory hungry!
Ok, will check them.

Quote:
Black IRC or IRC's in general should be okay, AmigaExplora in conjunction with SAMBA as well should work okay... it will be a little slow..
You mean Amiga Explorer, right?

Quote:
But unless you have a serious memory or cpu upgrade (wich there are only 3 types at the moment) most web-browsers are off limmits...
Maybe some kind of text based browser. I am thinking of something like AmigaGuide for browsing the net.

Quote:
I have been working with some really cool people here trying to develop open-source hardware..
Yes, I saw that thread, but I won't be doing that kind of experiments with my A600 (for now, hehe....)

One of my next projects will involve making a ps2->amiga mouse adapter based on one of these (1)(2)(3) PIC based designs.

I guess I could do a mouse conversion but I want it to be OPTICAL yeah!
Old 27 September 2007, 21:43   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@elmasta

Indeed i did mean Amiga Explorer, (damn windows / cartoon network!)

to be honest i dont know if it will or wont work with an internet address... give it a try!

Thanks for those PS2 mouse linkies, they will prove most usefull!!! and indeed, as i have a cocolino (pS2 converter) i can honestly say that an 800dpi optical mousey is just what any amiga needs!
Old 28 September 2007, 18:46   #5
amigarobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmasta View Post
Maybe some kind of text based browser. I am thinking of something like AmigaGuide for browsing the net.
http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/ALynx

Does work!

And then, you could always try:-

http://www.asciipr0n.com/pr0n/

Oh and those 600 accelerators are terrible, they fall out, overheat (not that I've managed to keep mine in for long enough.. and go in the space where the harddrive should go.

Technological marvels in their little way, but not for running life support units.

Shame that http://ami.ga/news/news115_e.htm won't be coming out.

Last edited by amigarobbo; 28 September 2007 at 18:53.
Old 28 September 2007, 18:57   #6
laser
Banned

I suggest to buy an A1200 instead upgrade that A600 cause lot of internet' programs will work only on a 020+
also you will have better chances of memory and cpu upgrades

bye
Old 28 September 2007, 19:04   #7
laser
Banned

btw, I forget

before buy any pcmcia network card first check compatibility for drivers here:

http://aminet.net/driver/net/cnetdevice.lha
Old 28 September 2007, 20:06   #8
DrF
Blessed A1200 Of TeH Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
I suggest to buy an A1200 instead upgrade that A600 cause lot of internet' programs will work only on a 020+
also you will have better chances of memory and cpu upgrades

bye
Thats what I did it was cheaper than buying another 1Mb Chip ram for the A600, plus the choice of hardware was better, but elmasta is in Uruguay hence why he struggled to get the A600 repaired, Amigas are in short supply there he said
Old 28 September 2007, 20:17   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

nothing wrong in pimping an A600 peeps....

takes patience and saving... but a fully pimped A600 is indeed a sexual thing indeed! *ahem i mean... sensual....okay... okay... its a good thing indeed
Old 28 September 2007, 20:32   #10
Paul_s

Any Amiga is sexual Sounds like a good upgrade plan anywho, keep us updated with loads of piccies
Old 28 September 2007, 20:42   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

yes indeed,

Hardware Pr0n FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28 September 2007, 23:49   #12
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrF View Post
Thats what I did it was cheaper than buying another 1Mb Chip ram for the A600, plus the choice of hardware was better, but elmasta is in Uruguay hence why he struggled to get the A600 repaired, Amigas are in short supply there he said
In Uruguay there are more amigas and amiga' hardware than any other south american country

bye
Old 29 September 2007, 02:44   #13
elmasta

Quote:
In Uruguay there are more amigas and amiga' hardware than any other south american country

bye
Perhaps I have been searching in the wrong places (mercadolibre/deremate=ebay clones), but, from what I see, it's incredibly difficult to get an 1200 or anything for a reasonable price.

Where do you get there's more amigas in Uruguay than in Argentina? Searching for amigas in Argentina and Uruguay's ebay clones seems to contradict that (~80 hits vs 1). Which seems logical, taking in account the +10x difference in population.

Glad to see amigans on the other side of the river It's strange talking to you in english though.
Old 29 September 2007, 10:27   #14
DrF
Blessed A1200 Of TeH Rat

Quote:

bye
Just going on what elmasta said, I don't live there.