English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 19 September 2018, 20:57   #21
DH
Global Moderator

I always thought O/T was the trash, that's why we send so much O/T from the main forums into it
Old 20 September 2018, 09:38   #22
meynaf
son of 68k

There might be some valuable information in OT-Technical.
But for others, I don't see the point in keeping them.
Old 20 September 2018, 10:18   #23
DH
Global Moderator

• OT - General
    pruned after 2 months
  • OT - Technical
    pruned after 6 months
  • OT - Entertainment
    pruned after 2 months
  • OT - Sports
    pruned after 2 months
  • OT - Gaming
    not pruned
General - This is a hard one as some information lies at both ends of the spectrum, not worth keeping and worth keeping, so I suppose it's really down to the O/P to stipulate this so we could protect it from the pruning rules. Not sure yet how this can be done successfully other than make them a sticky, which I am opposed to. Like Anubis said, we could auto move them to a different hidden forum, after the 2 months of inactivity, that us mods can view, that gets pruned after 1 year, which should give more than enough time for someone to re-call their thread. A moderator will obviously have to move it back and make a post regarding the re-call, otherwise it'll be re-pruned if someone else doesn't post

Technical - Information here is viable to keep and shouldn't be pruned as the information posted is useful to the masses.

Entertainment & Sports - is only viable for current affairs and to me, after 2 months the information is no longer useful, so their pruning is worthwhile.

Gaming - Worth keeping, as many of us are gamers at heart, some more so than others.

So what do you guys suggest?

Last edited by DH; 20 September 2018 at 12:04.
Old 20 September 2018, 11:12   #24
ptyerman

Agreed. OT-Technical and OT-Gaming are definitely worth keeping around even if they're moved to an archive instead of being pruned after the specified time.
Old 18 October 2018, 21:50   #25
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Agreed. OT-Technical and OT-Gaming are definitely worth keeping around even if they're moved to an archive instead of being pruned after the specified time.
Yep, fully agree.
Old 18 October 2018, 22:27   #26
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I would change technical to the same area like games, not pruned. There is always information there that can be relevant. Good thing I did not start my xbox softmoding topic there, as it would be gone by now, and information there is still relevant.

I just fail to see point in 2 months prune of other topics. IMHO keeping them for year or even longer will not hurt anyone, nor cost more...
Old 20 October 2018, 17:07   #27
project23
Used Register

I personally believe (my own £0.02 worth), that every good forum should have a General Discussion section that is never pruned, just moderated.

This is a community, and having such a section promotes friendship and growth of the forum in general (ie, they won't go somewhere else to have that discussion).

As for the information being useless in so many months - i can understand the initial logic behind this idea, but what if I ask for advice on my car, or selecting a cheap car, or something like that - and I get a useful response.

Maybe I would like to look up that response a year or two later, because I'd forgotten to write it down or something - you know? Is there really any harm in keeping it around? I mean its already been moderated.

Just my two pence

Kind regards,

John
Old 20 October 2018, 21:36   #28
DamienD
Banned

It's really simple guys; if there is an Off Topic thread that you think is worth keeping then just PM a Global Moderator and we can make it "sticky"; if in agreement that it's worthwhile
Old 22 October 2018, 20:20   #29
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well I don't agree with that, stickies are a real nuisance due to their nature of sticking to the top and staying there. Okay if there is only one, but that is not what we're talking about here. Just letting threads be pruned is the lesser evil, in my opinion.
Old 22 October 2018, 22:19   #30
project23
Used Register

I always figured stickies were for threads that held important information that either ought to be read by everyone, or are common to everyone - not OT discussions that have information one or two users might need 5 years from now, ya know?

Just my opinion of course!

John
Old 22 October 2018, 22:32   #31
DH
Global Moderator

I still say the solution lies in post #23

If we stickied every thread that was deemed worthy, we'd simply be defeating the object of their main purpose.
Old 22 October 2018, 23:10   #32
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
I still say the solution lies in post #23

If we stickied every thread that was deemed worthy, we'd simply be defeating the object of their main purpose.
I agree really, if you're definitely against something like pruning after 2 years for anything OT - which I take it you all are.

The only change I'd recommend that I believe falls in line with your approach is to make the OT General pruning term 6 months rather than 2.

I don't know how often it happens, but if person A asks person B for advice, I can certainly see them wanting go looking for that advice more than 2 months later.

Is OT moderated? If it is then once it's been moderated i don't see the issue with keeping posts for long periods of time, unless there's a genuine space issue.

One thing I do disagree with (and i know you don't do it here at EAB) is unmoderated 'flame pit' like forums. I used to admin a forum myself and after I left they allowed this and my god the crap that got posted. That kind of forum i'd prune every week, let alone month. But if its moderated, I don't see the problem really.

Again just my opinion.

Cheers as always!

John
Old 22 October 2018, 23:40   #33
DH
Global Moderator

Post #23 explains how often each sub-forum is pruned and explanes how we could eliminate pruning for some of the sub-forums, keep it for others and do something slightly different for General, as with this sub-forum, not everything is worth keeping, but some is.

6 month pruning rule is OK, however, there'll always be something that'll require a little more, like I said, General is one of those sub-forums that's going to be difficult to please everyone. Reasons for pruning, this is an Amiga forum and I doubt RCK wants the servers filling up with so much unrelated topics outside the Amiga.

Yes OT is moderated, all GM's keep an eye on it and have done since time began, however, our main focus is the main forums. Previously, many years ago, there were issues with O/T so there were some major changes made to it, as GM's were spending far too much time moderating it rather than moderating the main forum + it was becoming a real pain in the arse and making the GM's lives completely miserable.

Last edited by DH; 22 October 2018 at 23:47.
Old 22 October 2018, 23:53   #34
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Post #23 explains how often each sub-forum is pruned and explanes how we could eliminate pruning for some of the sub-forums, keep it for others and do something slightly different for General, as with this sub-forum, not everything is worth keeping, but some is.

6 month pruning rule is OK, however, there'll always be something that'll require a little more, like I said, General is one of those sub-forums that's going to be difficult to please everyone. Reasons for pruning, this is an Amiga forum and I doubt RCK wants the servers filling up with so much unrelated topics outside the Amiga.

Yes OT is moderated, all GM's keep an eye on it and have done since time began, however, our main focus is the main forums. Previously, many years ago, there were issues with O/T so there were some major changes made to it, as GM's were spending far too much time moderating it rather than moderating the main forum + it was becoming a real pain in the arse and making the GM's lives completely miserable.
If people can't have nice things, you take them away. So I understand that.

I agree with all of this by the way. My one disagreement being 6 months instead of 2 for 'General'.

I don't (so far) use O/T anyway - and my 'test case' of person A asking advice from person B etc would probably be posted in OT Technical anyway, so maybe 2 months really is appropriate for OT General?

John
Old 23 October 2018, 00:02   #35
DH
Global Moderator

I'm sure when RCK reads this, he'll have a discussion with the GM's about it and maybe discuss how to come up with an amicable solution using the info from the thread and us GM's
Old 23 October 2018, 00:40   #36
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Previously, many years ago, there were issues with O/T so there were some major changes made to it, as GM's were spending far too much time moderating it rather than moderating the main forum + it was becoming a real pain in the arse and making the GM's lives completely miserable.
Exactly; this is why these rules came into place to begin with... but you'd only know that if you've been on EAB for more 5 years.

OT is a lot tamer these days than it was in the past; it used to be anything goes and there was some pretty full-on stuff being posted
Old 23 October 2018, 00:48   #37
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Exactly; this is why these rules came into place to begin with... but you'd only know that if you've been on EAB for more 5 years.

OT is a lot tamer these days than it was in the past; it used to be anything goes and there was some pretty full-on stuff being posted
Oh I can imagine, that's why i'm supportive of DH's idea.
Old 23 October 2018, 13:12   #38
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Also by people who went on to be GM's Twas good times, but the family friendly EAB was never the proper venue for it. If only we could turn back the clock and do better, eh.
Old 23 October 2018, 15:15   #39
DH
Global Moderator

I was an innocent new member when I was drafted into the old O/T mayhem, I thought it was normal n just went along for the ride n boy was that a ride

Still, it's a much nicer, calmer and pleasant place for everyone to visit now, is less obtrusive for the GM's + the GM's can now concentrate on what really matters instead of trawling through countless posts of pictures and jokes etc, some of which were very risky too.
Old 30 November 2018, 12:46   #40
RCK
Administrator

I read and made some adjustements

OT - General : pruned after one year
OT - Entertainment : pruned after 4 months
OT - Sports : pruned after 4 months
OT - Technical : not pruned
OT - Gaming : not pruned