English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 July 2020, 01:38   #401
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
BTW a Gods fan (Rick) created a new 4-level set (lockdown can't be all bad!). I've zoned it. I can't tell the quality of it because I didn't spoil it by editing the levels. I just had time to play world 1 level 1 (workload is pretty big ATM) and that looks promising.
Could you also zone the latest Gods Deluxe version again? I've seem to have missed it
Old 05 July 2020, 11:28   #402
jotd
This cat is no more

my remakes page: https://jotd.pagesperso-orange.fr/ where Gods can be downloaded
Old 10 July 2020, 23:06   #403
jotd
This cat is no more

New version online, with new Rick levels & joystick working again (I have to use a DLL and it needs to be in 64 bits now that most JREs are 64 bit)

Enjoy! (I wasn't able to get past 1.2 of Rick levels, but I haven't tried too hard)
Old 10 July 2020, 23:21   #404
Viceroy

Nice one JOTD ;-)
Old 10 July 2020, 23:43   #405
jotd
This cat is no more

Main contributor was Rick that time, designing 4 entire levels. Madman's task (I did that once, not going to do it again)

so now game has 3 4-level sets plus demo level. Hours of fun figuring out the twisted puzzles.
Old 08 February 2021, 09:42   #406
Cherno

I hope it is ok to post the result of a quick experimentation with Interprite I did some months ago to see if I could make a smoother Hercules (Gods) anim. Needs lots of afterwork, of course, but it shows what's possible. I always wanted a version of Gods that had faster and smoother movement and maybe more in-air control (when jumping).

Old 08 February 2021, 09:57   #407
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I don't think that more air control would fit the game, they clearly went for a little realism there going as far as to have to duck to pick something up off of the ground and the game having gravity with matching fall damage The levels are designed specifically for the jumping mechanic that is there.

Nice animation though, once the jitter is cleaned up.
Old 08 February 2021, 11:17   #408
jotd
This cat is no more

I love that. maybe the same process would need to be applied to other characters too. And only in "reworked gfx" mode, but in that case there's a lot of game mechanics rework to be able to propose original graphics or reworked graphics.

ATM reworked graphics are just resized+pixel corrected graphics, same number of frames.
Old 08 February 2021, 11:49   #409
Cherno

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I don't think that more air control would fit the game, they clearly went for a little realism there going as far as to have to duck to pick something up off of the ground and the game having gravity with matching fall damage The levels are designed specifically for the jumping mechanic that is there.

Nice animation though, once the jitter is cleaned up.
You know, when I wrote that bit about the air control, I realized that Gods has more in commin with cinematic platformers like Flashback than with typically jump'n'run games like Super Mario. So you are basically right, although I would still say that the hard-set jumping distance and height is more suited to a more rigid environment design, where platforms are all at distinct heights and distances from each other (instead of their location being bound to small tiles). Oh well, it is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I love that. maybe the same process would need to be applied to other characters too. And only in "reworked gfx" mode, but in that case there's a lot of game mechanics rework to be able to propose original graphics or reworked graphics.

ATM reworked graphics are just resized+pixel corrected graphics, same number of frames.
I saw a video of Gods oon the SNES today for the first time and thought about how ridiculous the speed/framerate was. Of course, the Amiga version is fairly slow and choppy as far as character movement is concerned, so maybe a middle ground between both would give a good illusion of smooth animations without needing more frames (as the high-speed SNES animations looks very smooth).
Old 08 February 2021, 13:49   #410
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

That's cool to see the main character moving more smoothly , although I think the amount of character control while in the air is fine as it is. When you jump you are commited to that jump and I think that is deliberate and a part of the games design. You get a tiny bit of 'aftertouch' while falling that comes in handy and you can shoot to a limited extent, again deliberate decisions, I would guess. What is it that you want to do extra?

I don't even really consider Gods a proper platform game because the platform jumping isn't the main focus. I'd class it as an action, exploration puzzle game before platformer.
Old 08 February 2021, 14:14   #411
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

True, you're spending more time falling down trapdoors and climbing ladders than doing actual platforming and jumping Now that I think about it it is kind of funny that the game has realistic jumping and falling mechanics, and then there are the floating moving platforms which just slide away from under you if you don't inch along with them. But I guess it can be forgiven since floating platforms are unrealistic to begin with
Old 08 February 2021, 15:05   #412
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
True, you're spending more time falling down trapdoors and climbing ladders than doing actual platforming and jumping Now that I think about it it is kind of funny that the game has realistic jumping and falling mechanics, and then there are the floating moving platforms which just slide away from under you if you don't inch along with them. But I guess it can be forgiven since floating platforms are unrealistic to begin with
Yeah, there's realistic and then there's realistic. It a type of 'realism' that grounds it more in real life to suit the theme than that of say Mario where no attempt at realism is needed or made because of its theme, and so you can change direction in mid air etc. Obviously this type of realism it only goes so far.
Old 12 February 2021, 12:50   #413
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I've always considered Gods a "thinking man's platformer."

It's got ladders and platforms, so in my mind that makes it, well, a platformer.

But it's got that slower pace and more of an emphasis on exploration and secrets. It's also not cutesy.

This all made it feel very different to the fast-paced, family-orientated, "complete the level as quickly as possible" platformers back in the day.

Gods is also still my favourite Amiga game btw
Old 12 February 2021, 13:52   #414
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I can't go that far, I dislike the fact that you get punished with instant kill traps for experimenting trying to find said secrets and the rigid combat system. So much standing still and spamming attacks. But that's just the Gods way, I can't call it flaws.
Old 12 February 2021, 14:06   #415
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
I can't go that far, I dislike the fact that you get punished with instant kill traps for experimenting trying to find said secrets
Can you give an example? I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I can’t think of where the game does this.
Old 12 February 2021, 14:54   #416
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Putting me on the spot eh? You're right to do so. I'm moaning about games I don't have fresh in my memory which is not the best of ideas. But it's fun.

Now I'm not too sure. Wasn't there one right at the beginning in the first sequences of switches? One of them spawns a spike trap and remember that it spawns right next to you so it can spell your death if you're standing in the wrong spot.
Old 12 February 2021, 15:00   #417
DamienD
Banned

I'm sure you correct Gimbal; from memory I also think I got stuck in certain traps back in the day...

It's been over 15 years that I've seriously played this though.
Old 12 February 2021, 15:25   #418
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Putting me on the spot eh? You're right to do so. I'm moaning about games I don't have fresh in my memory which is not the best of ideas. But it's fun.

Now I'm not too sure. Wasn't there one right at the beginning in the first sequences of switches? One of them spawns a spike trap and remember that it spawns right next to you so it can spell your death if you're standing in the wrong spot.
Not trying to put you on the spot You could be right.

Is this the area you mean? If so, you do get teleported there (optionally), but even though you're right next to the spike, it's not actually touching you and so you won't die unless you walk right and in to it. As you can see, I'm not losing any energy standing there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	70882  
Old 12 February 2021, 17:26   #419
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I am ALMOST sure there are no traps that can not be solved in Gods. But I may be wrong of course.
Old 12 February 2021, 18:51   #420
jotd
This cat is no more

you can get stuck at times (requiring ESC because it's impossible to make progress), but you really have to do it on purpose.

Double & triple spikes are uncrossable. But sometimes with the right object, the triple spike explode, and only one spike remains / with the right lever the spikes are killed.

Unkillable spikes are there to prevent you from turning back/being stuck. The screenshot at level 1 is a fine example of that. The game doesn't want you to go back to get the chest because you took the shortcut. In fact, you can get the chest, but it will cost you a life.

An example where you can get stuck: at 1.3, get the giant jump, jump on the wooden platform. Spikes appear below. But fall down. The diamond appears after a long time, teleport up, then fall down again: stuck.