English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 May 2007, 17:41   #1
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

WinUAE 1.4.3 public beta series

Read this before downloading or posting!

WinUAE 1.4.3 public beta #1

Beta 1:

- use Segoe UI font only if running on Vista
- separated native and P96 vsync setting, note that P96 vsync has never been "real" vsync but sync to internal refresh rate which isn't usually same as real host refresh rate. Sound problems fixed when P96 VSync and 56KHz "audio trick" was enabled.
- sprite attachment fix, fixes "Great Demo" by "The Tremendous Trio"
- clear sound buffer before reopening window/fullscreen
- delayed CDTV CD inserted notification (Xenon 2)
- CDTV CD audio stop command fix (DOTC2, ChaosInAndromeda CD player)
- added MB RAM support to debugger's search commands
- Paths-panel improved, added previously "hidden" AMIGAFOREVERDATA environmental variable (if set), and separated AF2005 and "new" WinUAE
paths (only difference is default KS ROM path, AF2005 = <root>\..\system\rom, WinUAE is <root>\roms or <root>\rom)
- Quickstart-panel DF1: disable/enable checkbox added (available only in configurations that have DF0: enabled)
Old 18 May 2007, 01:00   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Many thanks for improving the CDTV emulation, Toni. Tie-Break CDTV is working now.

I love this 80s "Starbyte Song" on the CD.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 18 May 2007 at 01:35.
Old 20 May 2007, 13:12   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae_1430b2.zip

Beta 2: Mostly pointless SCSI stuff here but at least I learned a lot about low level SCSI protocols

- WD33C93 + (Super)DMAC based SCSI HDF emulation. A590/A2091, A3000 and CDTV with SCSI expansion. Current implementation is very minimal. A590/A2091 Boot ROMs 6.0, 6.6 and 7.0 tested and confirmed working. A3000 random KS ROMs (including "1.4") also confirmed working. CDTV with 1.0 extended ROM freezes during standard WB 1.3 startup-sequence (works if run manually..) Newer extended ROMs work without freezes. NOTE: disconnect/reconnect not emulated (yet?), SCSI Message out + Command + Data in/out + Status + Message in phases emulated. Most WD33C93 registers are not emulated. Non-tested drivers (KS versions) most likely won't work yet. Check the log!

- A3000 KS "1.4" added to ROM list (yes, it is beta but it came with some A3000s) Need confirmed official A3000 and A4000(T) information before more A3000/A4000(T) ROMs will be added. (Note A3000 ROMs, not SuperKickstart images!)
- A590/A2091 6.0, 6.6 and 7.0 added to ROM list. A590/A2091 ROM is automatically selected, manual rom selection is not possible.
- A590/A2091 Guru ROM added to ROM list (not yet supported, I need A590/A2091 autoconfig er_InitDiagVec value first, Scout shows it)
- A4091 40.9 (no CRC available yet) and 40.13 ROM added to ROM list. NCR SCSI (A4091 and A4000T) is not yet emulated.

- Action Cartridge Super IV Professional emulated partially, also added support for Super IV "ROM version" (Super IV cartridge does not have any ROM chips, "ROM" is loaded from disk) Loader disk does not work yet! Interface is very different compared to Action Replay series.

Super IV image in the zone. "Can you upload"-type SCSI boot ROM related questions will be deleted.
Old 20 May 2007, 14:19   #4
Dic_Ray

Great

Dear Toni,

I also have a hardware modul for Amiga 500, called Nordic Power Module. The menu structure is very similar to the one from ActionCartridgeSuperIVProfessional. But if I press the button, I can't see the actual working Amiga-screen.

So, it's older and not as powerful, but perhaps you are interested to read out the roms and support it also. I could send it to you, if you want.

Kind regards and thank you so much.

Btw. What is WinUAE looking for to show available "Arcadia Multiselect", "CD32", "A3000" and "HighEnd WinUAE" after ROM Scan? Why CD32 isn't available? I use the ROMS for CD32 + Extended Roms v3.1 (40.60) from Amiga Forever 2006. What's wrong with it?
Old 20 May 2007, 14:29   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dic_Ray
Dear Toni,

I also have a hardware modul for Amiga 500, called Nordic Power Module. The menu structure is very similar to the one from ActionCartridgeSuperIVProfessional. But if I press the button, I can't see the actual working Amiga-screen.

So, it's older and not as powerful, but perhaps you are interested to read out the roms and support it also. I could send it to you, if you want.
I already have that one plus X-Power Professional 500 (Thanks Thor) but they have scrambled (like Arcadia ROMs) ROM data and address lines (problem is address lines, they are routed via PAL/GAL chips, data lines connect directly to Amigabus and were easy to "descramble". I'll find a way, either hardware or software trick to dump them properly someday..)

Quote:
Btw. What is WinUAE looking for to show available "Arcadia Multiselect", "CD32", "A3000" and "HighEnd WinUAE" after ROM Scan?
Why not? (why did you ask?)

Quote:
Why CD32 isn't available? I use the ROMS for CD32 + Extended Roms v3.1 (40.60) from Amiga Forever 2006. What's wrong with it?
I don't know. Does it work in non-beta? Do you see both roms in rom-panel select boxes?
Old 20 May 2007, 15:02   #6
Dic_Ray

Here I have some photos from my Nordic Power Cartidge. If you could read out the roms, could you put it in the zone, cause I like these good old memories?

With my question: What is WinUAE looking for to show available "Arcadia Multiselect", "CD32", "A3000" and "HighEnd WinUAE" after ROM Scan?
I would like to know which ROMs I need for it? Especially what ROM do I need fpr the HighEnd WinUAE?

With WinUAE 1.4.2a and 1.4.3b1 with same ROMs (from my Amiga Forever 2006 Premium) CD32 is shown as available, with 1.4.3b2 is shown unavailable. Perhaps a little mistake?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nordic-Power Modul.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	13901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nordic-Power in transport case.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	13902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nordic-Power Manual.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	13903  
Old 21 May 2007, 02:02   #7
flibble42

I also report that CD32 rom detection is either broken or the requirements have changed. Working in 1.4.2 not in 1.4.3. Hopefully a small problem to fix.

Does the romdetect worry about filenames? For instance my roms have really daft long file names (edonkey rubbish), i seem to have a rom for almost all things but they are not being detected. The reason i'm asking is that i don't want to be blameing you (Toni) for something i'm doing wrong.

Toni? do you ever sleep?

Flibb

Last edited by flibble42; 21 May 2007 at 02:26.
Old 21 May 2007, 07:55   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Scan report panel is totally broken. Scanning still works fine.
Old 22 May 2007, 01:17   #9
mrbob2

hiya toni, dont know if i should ask this here but i would just like to ask a question....... if you had all the commodore tech folk to help you and all the people that made and designed the amiga, would you have the perfect amiga emulator competed in a few months as i assume they would know 100% everything about the hardware and how to achieve what you are doing. assuming your tryin to make a 100% amiga (under emulation) just a rough/quick question. thanks for your time and i appreciate you hard work. thanks
Old 22 May 2007, 02:44   #10
flibble42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Scan report panel is totally broken. Scanning still works fine.
Does that mean that the romscan is giving the wrong results to, for instance, the quickstart system? If i put the CD32 roms in manually they still work..

Flibb
Old 22 May 2007, 08:27   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flibble42
Does that mean that the romscan is giving the wrong results to, for instance, the quickstart system? If i put the CD32 roms in manually they still work..

Flibb
You mean if you rescan roms, ignore report, shutdown winuae, restart it, (some) CD32 roms are misssing from rom panel rom select boxes compared to earlier winuae version?
Old 23 May 2007, 03:02   #12
flibble42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
You mean if you rescan roms, ignore report, shutdown winuae, restart it, (some) CD32 roms are misssing from rom panel rom select boxes compared to earlier winuae version?
All i can say is that after the initial install of the latest beta the roms for the cd32 were not detected (or as you said not displayed as available in the romscan results dialog), when i pressed "Start" using quickstart mode all that appeared was an OS3.1 insert disk screen (the purple one).

Without a restart i went to the roms page and added the cd32 roms manually (yes they appeared in the rom boxes), this caused winuae to boot into cd32 mode.

After reading your description above i tried quickstart (after closing and re-opening winuae) again and indeed the cd32 mode does work, but the romscan results still say the rom is missing.

You are obviously on top of this problem, so after giving my description as best i can i shall drop the subject and let you get on with doing what you do so well.

Flibb
Old 26 May 2007, 08:29   #13
Carcenomy

Send a message via ICQ to Carcenomy Send a message via MSN to Carcenomy
The A590 emulation sounds like a good plan, but now that I've played with it I'm left a little worried. You see, I have an actual 500 and a 590 I bought recently, and no display for it. I've got a 1940 coming, but before I attack the real thing I was going to see if I could get it working via emulation. No dice.

I understand the emulation isn't 100% yet, so I'm not overly worried, but here's what I attempted.

Configured it as an A500 512/512 OCS 1.3, like my actual system, with 2Mb fast, A590 enabled and a 20Mb HDF, like my 590. Loaded the A590 Setup ADF, and HDToolbox proudly proclaims that there's nothing on the xt.device or scsi.device buses.

Is there something I've missed?
Old 26 May 2007, 09:51   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcenomy
Configured it as an A500 512/512 OCS 1.3, like my actual system, with 2Mb fast, A590 enabled and a 20Mb HDF, like my 590. Loaded the A590 Setup ADF, and HDToolbox proudly proclaims that there's nothing on the xt.device or scsi.device buses.

Is there something I've missed?
Yes, you miss the A590/A2091 Boot ROM image. (don't ask how to get it)
Old 27 May 2007, 05:49   #15
Carcenomy

Ahhh, right. So with the boot ROM image, just use it as an extended ROM in WinUAE? The beta seems marvellous so far too Toni, nice work
Old 27 May 2007, 15:49   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Ahhh, right. So with the boot ROM image, just use it as an extended ROM in WinUAE?

No. Read the changelog again:

Quote:
- A590/A2091 6.0, 6.6 and 7.0 added to ROM list. A590/A2091 ROM is automatically selected, manual rom selection is not possible.
Old 27 May 2007, 15:57   #17
Carcenomy

Right, sorry. Thanks Toni.
Seem to have it roughly working, HDToolBox is detecting the drive with the ROM present now, I'll report back if there's any grief of note.

Last edited by Carcenomy; 27 May 2007 at 16:08.
Old 27 May 2007, 16:57   #18
Carcenomy

OK, so far I've only had WinUAE violently crash once during this process...

I got an A590 boot ROM, WinUAE told me it wasn't there, which I ignored since the scan box says CD32 is missing too, and apparently I have an A4091 ROM? *shrug*

The 590 appears and functions to a degree, HDToolbox from the 590 setup disk works fine, however none of the other applications do, claiming either Error 32 - Check Hardware or simply 'Hard drive not detected'. Since the FormatHD tool didn't work I simply initialized it like any other floppy, which worked fine, and simply copied the content of my WB 1.3 floppy using the shell.

Boots and runs fine, definitely faster than previous methods of setting up bootable HDFs in WinUAE that I've seen.
Old 27 May 2007, 20:38   #19
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
The 590 appears and functions to a degree, HDToolbox from the 590 setup disk works fine, however none of the other applications do, claiming either Error 32 - Check Hardware or simply 'Hard drive not detected'. Since the FormatHD tool didn't work I simply initialized it like any other floppy, which worked fine, and simply copied the content of my WB 1.3 floppy using the shell.
This is quite useless report, sorry. "Other applications="? (ALWAYS LIST NAMES, no names = I will ignore it) Perhaps "too big" drive? (even 80MB can be too big with early HD software..) Perhaps it expected specific harddrive partition name. (for example A590 utilities expect DH0:, anything else = no drive detected)
Old 27 May 2007, 20:40   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae_1430b3.zip

Beta 3:

ROM rescan required. I will delete your so called bug report if you didn't rescan roms! (normal users will update from <1.4.3 to 1.4.3 which means automatic rescan so no stupid questions either)

- ROM scan report dialog was totally broken
- uaescsi.device backends (SPTI/ASPI) are now available in new SCSI emulation mode. Checkbox added to advanced chipset, merges all SCSI and IDE CD/DVD devices automatically, does not override configured HDFs. Not multithreaded yet = emulation is stopped while SCSI command is executing = mostly useless for real world tasks, also SCSI configuration panel is still not implemented..
- confirmed A3000 3.1 ROM added to rom scan list.
- floppy drive sound GUI didn't work correctly if fdrawcmd.sys was not installed (=no PC floppy drives listed)
- A3000 36.141 KS ROM SCSI driver compatiblity fix (long word writes to byte wide WD33C93 registers.. not the first time Commodore ignored their own programming guidelines.. )
- A3000 SuperKickstart support hack, SuperKickstart loading works! (simple memory map remap hack, there is no MMU!)
- QS panel does not anymore complain about boot block crc error if disk is A1000 Kickstart disk or A3000 SuperKickstart disk
- A3000 Quickstart settings added, 1.4 = KS with Kickstart menu, SuperKickstart disk (or HD installed SuperKickstart) required. (also try clicking on top/left corner..)
- added "need 68030 CPU" dialog (KS 1.4)
- added expansion boot rom missing dialog
- added process breakpoint debugger feature (KB)
- GPL Ghostscript registry installation detection added (AFPL was only supported previously)
- Ghostscript printing fixed (only worked previously by accident..)
- built-in HRTMon moved to Cartridge ROM select menu
- added "real" SuperIV cart emulation (=need loader disk)
- debugger deep trainer improved. "D[<s><dix> <[max diff]>]" Di = value must increase, Dd = decrease, abs(new value minus old value) must be smaller than "max diff". s = 1 = byte, 2 = word. long words not supported. (defaults to byte) Signed integers used in comparison. NOTE: not really tested, I was not interested