English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 January 2013, 23:05   #1
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Contemplating clockport usb host adapter

Hi guys,

since I just got an x-surf (ethernet card with ide and clockport) for my A4000, I was wondering about using the clockport for an usb adapter.. It seems that none are currently being manufactured, however, and 2nd hand subways sell at prices similar to new..

Now, the clockport is pretty simple, so given software support is possible, it should not be too hard to hack something together, given a suitable usb host solution can be found (I'm aiming at something like 15£ for components excl. custom pcb and this price may even include a 4-port hub). There has to be some changes, though, as the usb host chip used by subway/highway (note: I'm not aiming at copying any of these products) "TDUHC124", which is supported by software/drivers already, is only available from (questionable?) asian brokers in large quantities these days

Since I never had usb in my amiga, I know nothing about the state of amiga usb software/stacks, but I've come across the following:

Poseidon (proprietary I think)
Anaiis (free.. source code or driver api available?)
Trident (the same as Poseidon?)

Edit: Also, a clockport version of the Thylacine would be a quick option if drivers are easy to modify so they look for it at a clockport address..

Any comments/ideas/interest?

Last edited by hooverphonique; 20 January 2013 at 23:12.
Old 21 January 2013, 10:49   #2
pandy71

What with FTDI FT313H or FT311D IC's?
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT313H.html
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT311D.html

Quite new, seems that plenty of USB stack is HW implemented, price is also good.
Old 21 January 2013, 12:38   #3
Gilloo

Location: Grenoble, Isère, Rhône-Alpes, France, Europe, Earth
Hi, here's some comments:
- Anaiis is not free, but it's binaries are available on aminet.
- The Anaiis' API is Sirion (includes are "usb" directory of OS4, but for 3.1 and under )
- uhc124 is a good chip to control even with a mere 68000!
- The clockport speed is limited to ~200kB/s
Old 21 January 2013, 12:59   #4
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Thanks for the suggestions, Pandy..

The 311D doesn't seem to be suitable as a generic usb host, but the 313 might be an option as it is really cheap (<€3). I will add it to my list of options to consider..

I also have been considering the FTDI Vinculum-II because maybe a firmware could be made for it that emulates the UHC124 and thus we would have software/driver support out-of-the-box...
Old 21 January 2013, 18:59   #5
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloo View Post
Anaiis is not free, but it's binaries are available on aminet.
by that you mean the source code isn't free/open!?

Quote:
The Anaiis' API is Sirion (includes are "usb" directory of OS4, but for 3.1 and under )
So is this "Sirion" API documented somewhere, so 3rd parties will be able to develop drivers for it?

Edit: It may not even matter, since it appears the api is for implementing drivers for usb peripherals, not for the host adapter (at least in the case of anaiis).. Maybe I should contact the author ;-)

Quote:
uhc124 is a good chip to control even with a mere 68000!
it is, it's just not easily available, but if enough people are interested, I guess a batch buy is an option. The chip used by the Thylacine has a similar hardware interface, but requires a hub if more than one port is needed/desired.
Quote:
The clockport speed is limited to ~200kB/s
Ok.. that is so slow that even a low-speed solution will almost max it out

Last edited by hooverphonique; 21 January 2013 at 19:05.
Old 21 January 2013, 22:47   #6
Stedy

Hi,

The TDUHC124 is a legacy part made by PLX Technologies. Mouser sell them, MOQ of 115 units though. http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/P...8plpf62PPcFNFW

The recommended replacement is the NET 2272 from PLX, with a simple web registration you can get all the design info without an NDA @ www.plxtech.com, a company whose products I have used for 14 years.

The FTDI products are nice to work with, the only issue I had was that the PC end (Linux/Windows) drivers were closed source. Have not checked out the newest parts, this may have changed.

I have a Vinculum I device, it quite happily interfaces an Arduino to a USB memory stick for my datalogger. If you have a fast serial port, this is a good solution.

Hope this gives you a few ideas. Good luck with the project.

Ian
Old 04 February 2013, 10:58   #7
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

thanks, all..

Yes, the UHC124 is much preferred over the SL811HS, but I'm not investing in a lot of 115 pcs just like that ;-)
If/when I get this working, I might give the NET2272 a stab.. Seems it's suitable for cpu interfacing as well..

I now have a hack-job put together using the SL811HS, and so far it seems to be working. Not a perfect chip by any means, but it's available and has software support already.

My plan is to mod the Thylacine HCD to access the x-surf clockports, but it seems there's some include files I'm missing.. Can anyone shed some light on something called "usb/system.h" ? An OS4 include, maybe?

Some photos.. This was hacked together on a $2 QFP adapterboard I ordered from Hong Kong.. And that price includes postage - Incredible!

Adapter and SL811HS - I soldered this using a bit of solder paste and a regular iron.. Ended with a couple of shorts I then had to clear up

SL811HS side - lot's of wires..

Other side.. this is normally for a QFP chip with larger pin spacing.

"Finished" article.. the clockport cable has a 26 pin connector on it instead of 22 as that's what I was able to scavenge..

Last edited by hooverphonique; 04 February 2013 at 23:49.
Old 05 February 2013, 09:49   #8
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

woups.. just realized that adding photos by editing is a bad idea, since then they don't show up in 'unread posts' ;-)
Old 05 February 2013, 15:09   #9
pandy71

btw perhaps it is better idea to use IDE connector instead clock port? (full 16 bit bus available)
Old 05 February 2013, 15:31   #10
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

that might be possible, but part of the idea is that this may end up as a DIY solution for others with a proper pcb and all, i.e. I would like this to eventually work with any clockport and not just the xsurf IDE port ;-)
Old 07 February 2013, 16:11   #11
hyami

Hi Hoover,
does your hacked solution actually work as an usb controller already, or is it only the hardware that could work out as an usb controller?

Either way; I like the hardware pron!

If/when it's a proven solution; will you share the details?

Old 07 February 2013, 17:09   #12
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyami View Post
Hi Hoover,
does your hacked solution actually work as an usb controller already, or is it only the hardware that could work out as an usb controller?
I'm not completely sure what you're asking here, but the current state is that when I communicate with the controller directly using a bit of assembler programming, it appears to work as it's supposed to.. I'm now working on getting a host controller driver (hcd) done for one of the available usb stacks.. The easiest solution will be to use the Thylacine (OS4?) stack and change the hcd, but there seems to be some compatibility problems with my OS3.1 machine, so I've now turned to the Anaiis stack, but that has no Thylacine support and the "example" code available is without documentation, so in the end it may turn out to be a tough task to get driver support

I would prefer to implement a Poseidon driver as it seems the best stack for OS3, but I haven't come across any development information for it..
Quote:
Either way; I like the hardware pron!
Thanks
Quote:
If/when it's a proven solution; will you share the details?
That's the plan, anyway..

As you may have gathered, it's all a bit up in the air at the moment, so we'll see where it ends up..
Old 20 December 2013, 13:16   #13
tnt23

Any updates on your project?