English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 February 2010, 02:06   #1
lost_lemming

my '1 inch drop technique' (indi ecs)

is this technique a bad one? Sometimes on my indi, I'll get very very minor white dots. Probably because the indi isn't seated 99.999%. and I've done these 1 inch drop (don't worry, no more than 1inch!) onto my desk and 2 out of about 20 (been having the amiga on/off allday) it worked!

But now I've just tried 10 times and it hasn't. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, is this good or a real bad/lazy way of sorting it?
Old 26 February 2010, 02:22   #2
8bitbubsy

Not a good technique, nor a good learning. Best thing is to use your hands (NOT TOOLS) to seat the chips as hard as you can. Okay, without overdrived force.

Using tools can result in cracking and stuff.
Old 26 February 2010, 02:48   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

why is it people like to bang things and blame mechanical faults this week!??!

--- 8bitbubsy, have you been rubbing off on that lost lemming?

ooo--errr... that just doens't sound right.....anyhoo -

@Lost Lemming

your problem is NOT mechanical so please stop attempting solve this problem by droping your amiga -

there must be a fix to the problem that doesn't involve droping the unit, perhaps a fpga upgrade? anything but dropping it, I seriously doubt it a mechanical fault as such dropping it will just dislodge other chips, in a worse case scenario damage them.

- I will try and find a link, in the mean time - please resist the urge to beat your amiga up for no reason...

Last edited by Zetr0; 27 February 2010 at 21:28.
Old 26 February 2010, 03:40   #4
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
why is it people like to bang things and blame mechanical faults this week!??!

--- 8bitbubsy, have you been rubbing off on that lost lemming?

ooo--errr... that just doens't sound right.....anyhoo -

I'm getting more mature now though! I've stopped to drop and hit machines (although I still tap chips and tap tap tap!! [/tap])
Old 26 February 2010, 03:56   #5
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_lemming View Post
is this technique a bad one? Sometimes on my indi, I'll get very very minor white dots. Probably because the indi isn't seated 99.999%. and I've done these 1 inch drop (don't worry, no more than 1inch!) onto my desk and 2 out of about 20 (been having the amiga on/off allday) it worked!
Ouch

I have actually used this technique myself (on a PC, don't panic peoples!). I used it to get some files off my hard-drive which had just died and parked its heads. I lifted the entire case about 30 cm off the desk and let it drop.....this was done in the office with my work computer and was very therapeutic.
Old 27 February 2010, 19:29   #6
Secret Vampire

A similar technique was recommended to me for unsticking bearings on certain old seagate drives which were reluctant to spin. Not recommended for electronics though, especially ones that are a bit bodged together like upgraded Amigas, and especially not when they're on. doing so can cause stuff to become even less well connected, or pop off completely and land in the wrong place, which may result in unintended consequences. I had this happen to me when re-commissioning a PC after moving house, the SCSI card had shifted slightly in transit, the result was that magic smoke came not only from the card but also the drive connected to it.