English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 February 2011, 20:03   #1
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Amos Pro programming on WinUAE

Hi everyone, I am still new to this site, and emulation in general and I was wondering if any of you guys still use Amos Pro on the WinUAE emulator?

Has anyone written a game using Amos within the Emulator?

Many thanks for your time.
Old 13 February 2011, 20:10   #2
slk486
Registered Looser

Since it emulates the Amiga(s) quite perfectly, I'd imagine it works perfectly, though I haven't tried it myself.

Why not just give it a whirl?
Old 13 February 2011, 21:47   #3
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

I want to re release an old P.D game I helped make back in the day but with nicer graphics, I have the adfs with the resources on them and the programs I need (the programmer of the game converted the resources to adf format years ago to help preserve them, just aswell, I live in a damp flat and pretty much all of my Amiga disks had to go in the bin, they went mouldy, including the resource disks)
I wanted to check that I would be able to use Amos Pro in helping to create the updated version of our game...fingers crossed!
Old 13 February 2011, 22:48   #4
rockersuke

If the adf files are preserved everything should work. Both my latest AMOS things have been written simultaneosly in my real A1200 at home and a WinUAE setup installed at my job PC where I ocassionally ported the files to use some spare time at work. For AMOS stuff you won't proably notice any difference at all.

--
Old 13 February 2011, 23:27   #5
Peter
Still an Amiga user

This is another good site for AMOS... http://amos.pspuae.com/

But I'm sure given a little time you should get some answers here.
Old 13 February 2011, 23:54   #6
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNipple View Post
Hi everyone, I am still new to this site, and emulation in general and I was wondering if any of you guys still use Amos Pro on the WinUAE emulator?
Yes. I have written many programs using AMOS Pro through WinUAE emulation

Quote:
Has anyone written a game using Amos within the Emulator?

Many thanks for your time.

The games I wrote with AMOS Pro were done on a real Amiga (before it broke). Everything I have written since has mainly been stuff like MMR (mouse movement recorder) and Extension Examiner (examines AMOS extensions - .Lib files - and lists all AMOS commands found within said extension).

Some of my stuff can be found on the AMOS Factory site that Peter linked to. Everything else is on Aminet ( http://www.aminet.net ) - search for "ADBs" to find my stuff.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 14 February 2011, 13:30   #7
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Thanks so much Guys for your help.

I had made a seriously n00bie mistake in not running the emulator in administer mode so I couldn't change the write protection button to enable me to overwrite files. I don't know if I should admit this in public or not!! But I have created new disks and written files to them so I am all excited again to be working on the Amiga (sort of).

I think this is the best forum I have ever joined upto, I honestly thought I was pretty much alone in my love for the Amiga.
Old 15 February 2011, 00:05   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I think this is the best forum I have ever joined upto, I honestly thought I was pretty much alone in my love for the Amiga.
Weird. I did a search for Amiga and EAB wasn't even in the first two pages :s I'd thought it would end up in the top five links at least.
Old 15 February 2011, 07:16   #9
Mequa

Thumbs up

AMOS Pro works fine under WinUAE (I use the latest build, version 2.0 update included with the AMOS Pro Compiler).

The only problem is that you are limited to the original Amiga chipset. There are experimental AGA hacks for AMOSPro, but it never had full AGA support. The latest versions of the AMOS family will run on an AGA machine (including WinUAE in AGA mode), but will not take advantage of features beyond the original chipset. Needless to say there is no RTG support in AMOS.

Under WinUAE I highly recommend using Immediate Blitter with AMOS games - it will often make the scrolling smoother than a real Amiga, particularly if you also use Vsync. Selecting a faster blitter (and CPU) option may also be a good idea on a Minimig or similar. Use the AMOS Pro Compiler to reduce emulation load in games by nixing the AMOS interpreter.

A few AMOS games are timed to the original Amiga 500 hardware and so work best with an emulated 68000 at 7MHz (original Amiga 500 speed). I have not found it necessary to use Cycle Exact mode with AMOS. Other AMOS games will benefit enormously from a faster CPU (such as my [ Show youtube player ]).

If you want more CPU performance (e.g. for AMOS 3D Extension or fast compilation) use JIT, but this can be buggy with Vsync enabled, so is often best disabled for smooth scrolling 2D games.

For a more advanced BASIC on the Amiga, Blitz Basic 2 adds AGA and Intuition support as well as more speed. The AMOS family are easier to learn, however. Blitz is more "low-level" - things like frame buffers, double buffering, blitting and screen cleanup need to be programmed manually, while AMOS will take care of this automatically.

Last edited by Mequa; 15 February 2011 at 07:39.
Old 15 February 2011, 14:56   #10
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

All this AMOS talk has given me the kick I need to download AMOS Pro and give it a go.
Old 15 February 2011, 15:33   #11
thomas

Quote:
Thanks so much Guys for your help.

I had made a seriously n00bie mistake in not running the emulator in administer mode so I couldn't change the write protection button to enable me to overwrite files. I don't know if I should admit this in public or not!! But I have created new disks and written files to them so I am all excited again to be working on the Amiga (sort of).

You don't need to run WinUAE in admin mode and you should not do so. Just store data files in a place where writing is allowed, for example C:\Users\<your user>\Documents or C:\Users\Public\Documents.

Only winuae.exe should go to C:\Program Files\WinUAE, all other files should be moved to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\WinUAE. That's where Amiga Forever stores all its files and WinUAE will find them there automatically, too.
Old 15 February 2011, 23:33   #12
Lonewolf10

Personally, I store all my Amiga files in a sub-folder called "Amiga-HD" in "My Documents".
It's really down to personaly preference, but I have always used admin mode as the rest of the software I use requires admin mode to work, doh

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 16 February 2011, 13:17   #13
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Thanks very much Thomas, I wasn't aware of that.
Hopefully that may solve the problem I am currently having with the compiler not compiling...I keep getting 'Error: Not an Amos program'...I know I am doing something wrong because I am rusty...it's just a matter of ironing out the creases.

Part of me does want to make a new Amiga game after the last 3 days worth of work, I had forgotten how much I love it.
Old 16 February 2011, 14:12   #14
Dagger

Quote:
I keep getting 'Error: Not an Amos program'...I know I am doing something wrong because I am rusty
When you save your uncompiled program try saving it as "Whatever.Amos". If you don't put the extension it will not not compile.
Old 16 February 2011, 16:05   #15
Djay
95th User

I recently wrote an Amos pro program on a real 1200 and found that winuae's 1200 timings are not the same, ie the program ran too fast in winuae (which is to be expected), if you want to allow your programs to run on both, it would be wise to use better timers...

Maybe an expert can give more info on this???
Old 16 February 2011, 16:42   #16
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
I recently wrote an Amos pro program on a real 1200 and found that winuae's 1200 timings are not the same, ie the program ran too fast in winuae (which is to be expected)
I find these things interesting, what was the exact configuration you used in WinUAE?
Old 16 February 2011, 21:30   #17
Djay
95th User

Winuae's default A1200 config which uses best possible speed rather than A500's exact cycle speeds

Of course there is gonna be a speed increase if you do say a for and next loop with a wait (in seconds)... A better way would be to use a custom timer.... I also tested the same program with an accelerator which has no speed increase using standard wait procedure, so if you wanna program for real amiga and winuae it would be better to test on both during development... I personally prefer to program on real and then test on winuae rather than the other way around

I think the drive clicks are soothing!!!
Old 16 February 2011, 21:47   #18
thomas

WinUAE can give you drive clicks, too. Just enable them on the sound page.
Old 16 February 2011, 22:28   #19
Lonewolf10

Quote:
Hopefully that may solve the problem I am currently having with the compiler not compiling...I keep getting 'Error: Not an Amos program'...I know I am doing something wrong because I am rusty...it's just a matter of ironing out the creases.
I have had that error before. Under certain conditions AMOS tends to mess up and corrupt any AMOS banks saved at the end of the BASIC file (.AMOS).
If that is the cause try erasing and restoring the banks, then try compiling it again.

If it isn't that, then check the length of the AMOS banks. Banks that have an odd length can also cause problems with the compiler - this includes sprite/bob banks with an odd number of images.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 17 February 2011, 00:07   #20
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
WinUAE can give you drive clicks, too. Just enable them on the sound page.
yeah i know but.... i kinda feel dirty doing that!