English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 12 January 2011, 21:09   #1
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to watertonian Send a message via Yahoo to watertonian
Want to start ray-tracing

Hello all. Not sure if this is the right area for such a post (won't take it personally if a mod bumps it somewhere else :-D ), but I've been doing all kinds of Star-Trek themed wallpapers form my setup. After gettng my Virge carde to work in 1280x768, I had to redo all my 1024x768 wallpapers anyway. To do this, I usually do a google image search for an oversized pic I like, crop & scale, and overlay the LCARS and UFP logos over it.
(eg.. )
However, theres some more specific scenes I'd like to do, and getting ahold of various sci-fi or Star-Trek 3D-models isn't that difficult a task (I have a directory with 'em already, ranging from Lightwave to Pov-Ray objects).
Anyway, I'm not having much luck getting going on this. I have Raystorm, Pov-Ray, and a few others installed. Raystorm keeps giving me the 80000008, and requires registration (which I would do if I knew how to get ahold of the guy, and if I could get it to work), and Pov-Ray requires alot of scripting. Polywog seems to be able to do pov-ray scenes, but won't import pov-ray objects. Anyway, are there any suggestions for the best S/W for a '060 based miggy? Thanks for any help. (Sorry if I'm a bit sparse on details, gotta catch a bus :-) ).
Old 13 January 2011, 01:11   #2
Leffmann

Lightwave, Imagine and Real 3D were the most popular programs on the Amiga. There was also a program called Tornado 3D which seemed very good, but was a bit of a latecomer and never got as much attention, and a cracked and fully working version of it seems hard to get hold of today.
Old 13 January 2011, 01:22   #3
source
Zone Friend

Light wave is in the zone I believe. Tornado I don't think was a raytracer as a rendering engine. It also was ppc only I believe. A buddy of mine had it back a number of years ago. I found lightwave to be the easiest to use as well you could design your scene on the Amiga then do the raytacing ona pc for faster work.
Old 13 January 2011, 01:53   #4
Leffmann

Tornado does run on 680x0, I did try it a bit on my 68060 back in the 90's. If anyone manages to find a working version of it somewhere, please let me know.
Old 13 January 2011, 05:40   #5
source
Zone Friend

I am not able to test it but there is a version on EAB file server in the folder 'App/Archive/Tornado3D'

Post here if it works. I have to piece together my amigas which I won't have running for atleast a few weeks. If it works with a 060 I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

Last edited by TCD; 13 January 2011 at 07:30. Reason: No direct links to the file server
Old 13 January 2011, 08:17   #6
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

i liked cinema 4d
Old 13 January 2011, 15:00   #7
source
Zone Friend

I have alladin but never tried it out. The friend who had Tornado gave me his alladin when the got Tornado.
Old 14 January 2011, 20:00   #8
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

OK, I found an old install of Lightwave, that I apparently deleted because I couldn't configure it. (Backed up HDD to CD-Rom, when I only had a 1.2GB drive) Had a bit of luck rendering a ham8 preview, but would rather use it on RTG. Anyone know how to force it to Picasso96 screenmodes? I've gotten modeller.fp to work, but the lightwave program itself isists on hires-lace, and would rather not use NewMode to promote it. Also, the Ham-8 thing is annoying, any way of fixing that?
Old 14 January 2011, 20:11   #9
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Still raytracing on an Amiga? Serious?

I really liked Reflections (aka. Monzoom 3D) on the Amiga. It has a good interface, but I doubt very much that it can import POV.
Old 15 January 2011, 10:32   #10
cosmiq

If you're looking for a nice free one
then you should really have a look at Blender3D - It doesn't have the best interface, but you can do practically anything with it (incl. YafRay)

www.blender3d.org
Old 16 January 2011, 12:40   #11
andy
Back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
Still raytracing on an Amiga? Serious?
That can reasonably fit into "Because I can"! That's cool, isn't it? It's an attitude that has certainly brought plenty of fabulous results around here and is another little part of what keeps 'Amiga' going.

I obviously know what you mean, though!

Quote:
No we can't play Lemmings just yet. I'm, er, "rendering".

What does that mean? Well... er, the computer's busy.

Important stuff!
Days pass...

Quote:
Not long now.
Just a little further...

Quote:
Look, I made a cow!
Old 16 January 2011, 17:37   #12
Photon

POV-Ray is just a renderer (of course you know this already but), and depending on the version can be pretty good. I used Real3D, which was decent for simple things, easy to use and stable. I think back in the day (early to mid 90s), Lightwave was the one that got the most professional use.

I think if you want something more modern you need to go to SourceForge and simply see which 3D editors and renderers have 68k ports, and puzzle a good solution together yourself.

The only other alternative is to get all the old known native Amiga ones and try which versions you like and which don't guru. All should be able to export f.ex. TGA and you can go from there to whatever picture format you like, even if the old ones don't support viewing in the resolutions you'd like.
Old 17 January 2011, 14:28   #13
khph_re

I'd use lightwave or Cinema 4D. Lightwave always had a a great renderer, and I think foundation imaging actualy used it on voyager/Deepspace nine, so you'd be in good company

These programs are very profesional, and whatever you learn can be used on newer versions on other platforms. You can do this with imagine as well, as that was also available on the PC-but no longer in production.

for those that remember old Amiga stalwart Tobias Richter, he's still doing star trek renders: http://www.thelightworks.com/
(under works: illustration)
Old 17 January 2011, 19:19   #14
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
I'd use lightwave or Cinema 4D. Lightwave always had a a great renderer, and I think foundation imaging actualy used it on voyager/Deepspace nine, so you'd be in good company
I was thinking B5 used Lightwave, while Star Trek typically relied on physical models (which sold for a ton of cash at some auction in N.Y.)? Could be wrong, though. Anyway, looks like I'm snowed in for the day, plenty of time to see how many ways I can crash the Amiga again.I've actually warmed up to Lightwave quite a bit. Now if I can get it to work without flipping between S-Video and VGA. I use my remote control for my Amiga more than I do for TV. lol
Old 17 January 2011, 20:41   #15
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Star Trek had both. Babylon was made on Amigas, as well as SeaQuest.

EDIT: Found evidence program is crap. It was used in Titanic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightWa...sing_Lightwave
Old 17 January 2011, 21:02   #16
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
Star Trek had both. Babylon was made on Amigas, as well as SeaQuest.

EDIT: Found evidence program is crap. It was used in Titanic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightWa...sing_Lightwave
Ah, ok. If I remember, B5 switched to a different platform after the pilot episode (But still used LightWave), though. Forgot about SeaQuest, though. Wasn't too fun to watch with a family of nitpickers who have all been in the Navy, and one of us was stationed on a sub. lol.
Anyway, just tried Lightwave again not too long ago, got the 800000008 (or B, this flatscreen hates red on NTSC...) when I hit render. Though it only did that when I used a CGX render plugin. (Picasso96 here, thing the CGX emulation doesn't like it for some reason). I'll have to do some more digging.
Old 17 January 2011, 22:20   #17
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

SUCCESS!

Finally just got over the whole RTG thing, and told NewMode to ignore Lightwave. Looks like LW requires a HAM capable screenmode for the preview, which confuses the SVGA (Virge) card I have in here to no end.
Anyway, it saves 24-bit IFF files, which are easy enough to Jpeg or PNG. Though for wallpapers, IFF is preferable (Quicker for the 060 to decode). It would be nice to keep the control screen as a VIRGE screen, but for now I just set NewMode to ask what to do when the screen opens. I can use the monsterous 1280x768 resolution to do modelling, and just have newmode ignore Lightwave when I want to do a render.
Old 17 January 2011, 22:26   #18
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Nice
Old 18 January 2011, 00:39   #19
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

Big grin

OK. Just for the record, I am officially having way too much fun!

Last edited by watertonian; 18 January 2011 at 07:26.
Old 18 January 2011, 07:35   #20
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

This one took almost 2 hours.....