English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 23 August 2016, 14:19   #1
IvanEBC

Best options for RPI3 and virtual File

Hi Guys.

Been googling best options for creating a Raspberry pie 3 Amiga. Initially thinking i was pushing my luck and a rpi3 maybe wasn't up for the task, reading about which distro was best, and even emulator, until i stumbled upon this a few hours ago, it was only a comment on a "how to" post, though it still lacks much information.

Mind you, the Raspberry PI 2 has had some problems with pure A1200 emulation. It works, but in heavy duty programs/games/demos it can glitch a bit. But the new RPI3 will finally make it 100% up and running.
What i did was create a massive Amiga HDF disk-image based on Amiga4ever on the PC, stuffed it with everything i could find (ton of games, whdload, coding, graphics and so on) and then copied that over.
Then i modded the linux distro to load straight into workbench using that hardfile — that is just wonderful, and it works really well.
Check out this post on my other website: https://retromodsblog.wordpress.com/.../25/velkommen/

Going to that link only shows how to remove the desktop and load directly into uae, but i need so much more info.

Great example, which distro would be the best for UAE in terms of not being hungry in terms of resources, or maybe that don't matter if your skipping the whole desktop. Linux is still a bit of a mystery to me so i'm looking for some advice, i already have a wonderful 8gb virtual file ready to copy across that i've worked on.

My thoughts are:
install Raspian (is there a better option? or won't matter?)

Install uae4arm
setup so it works with my hdf
remove desktop environment and autostart uae as per his post.

Any experiences, dangers, or advice?
Old 23 August 2016, 14:29   #2
ransom1122

Sounds cool. Amibian has been discussed in previous threads. Maybe you should have a look into that.
Old 23 August 2016, 16:21   #3
spudje

Or Happiga. But I haven't tried none of them. I'm waiting for Amiga support in RecalBox 4.1, because I want my RPi3 to support multiple retro platforms.
Old 23 August 2016, 16:29   #4
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Amibian is not as good as RetroPie.

Use RetroPie (easy to install, both amiga emulators are already installed), add your roms, HDF for OS, games (HDF or folders), start it and enjoy great Amiga emulation. Use windows networking to upload files and as big plus, you have all other emulators at your disposal.

Other night my son and I had fun playing Pinball Fantasies on RPi... Quite good sound and big screen TV with wireless keyboard and mouse made it best options for amiga emulation today.
Old 23 August 2016, 16:45   #5
IvanEBC

I have tried Retropie but really didn't like it, i set it up, had it working, bnut found the Amiga side to be horrible to use, move mouse, wait 2 seconds for mouse to catch up, if you missed where it was going, move again and hope to hit the target, this was in the actual emulator screen.... while the VCS and C64 worked flawlessly, upgraded to RPi3 and then i couldn't get the VCS to work anymore except via keyboard... just seem to be too flaky and in the end the Amiga side was horrible to use.... i don't want to get into that further in this thread, as i'm really looking at a one sysem use for the rpi3, i have a few of them and i bought the nice 3d printed cases so it is one rpi3 per system to emulate with no cross over of controllers and rubbish.

I haven't heard of ambian or happiga, none of the guides have ever mentioned them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Amibian is not as good as RetroPie.

Use RetroPie (easy to install, both amiga emulators are already installed), add your roms, HDF for OS, games (HDF or folders), start it and enjoy great Amiga emulation. Use windows networking to upload files and as big plus, you have all other emulators at your disposal.

Other night my son and I had fun playing Pinball Fantasies on RPi... Quite good sound and big screen TV with wireless keyboard and mouse made it best options for amiga emulation today.
Old 24 August 2016, 07:06   #6
TuKo
Apollo Team

Try AmiBerry too.
Old 06 September 2016, 20:53   #7
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Amiberry

new version of Amiberry just released.

http://blitterstudio.com/amiberry/
Old 15 September 2016, 21:53   #8
TuKo
Apollo Team

Tried them all. AmiBerry is the winner for me.